Information about ecological insulation

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
mark250
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Information about ecological insulation

by mark250 » 20/12/13, 10:18

Hello,

Can you help me with some information. Next year I want to renovate my house and I want to start by insulating the roof spaces. Can you give me some advice. What insulation can be installed between the rafters of the roof? I am mainly interested in ecological insulation.

Thank you very much
0 x
ATE.Conseil
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by ATE.Conseil » 20/12/13, 11:00

Hello,

The choice of natural insulation for the attic seems to me a good choice. Indeed, they will allow to bring inertia and therefore summer comfort (especially but not only)
Regarding the types of products, you can try all woven products (hemp, wood, sheep, feathers ...) or bulk products (hemp, cork ...) which all have a similar effectiveness (Lambda 0.038)

What must above all be taken into consideration is the installation method:
The insulation must be isolated from the rest of the world! To do this, it is necessary, on the one hand to provide for the installation of a vapor barrier film on the interior side, and a floor (for example) on the top in order to guarantee the integrity of the product over time (not accessible to pests) .

As for bulk products, they must be blown with sufficient pressure to avoid the phenomenon of compaction ... and therefore loss of efficiency over time

Greetings
Philippe DESON
Thermal BET ATE Conseil
0 x
ATE Council accompanies you to reduce your energy consumption
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 22/12/13, 08:56

From what I could read about the insulation of the roof in general, whether the materials are ecological or not, we must pay attention to the installation method.

Already, as ATE reminded us, we must avoid that pests can enter and nest in the insulation, thus preventing the passage of rodents and birds mainly, but also large insects like hornets. It is not always easy, and if you are not extremely attentive, you quickly forget a hole or a passage.
Then pay attention to the ventilation of the roof.
The insulation must not come into contact with the roofing material. This is particularly true with tiles but also for a lot of other materials: the condensation would settle there and that would cause disorder both in the insulation and in the roofing material (especially for tiles which will quickly tend to "rot")

For the same reason, the insulation should not come into contact with a vapor-tight roof screen (polyane type or tarpaulin) and therefore provide air circulation between the insulation and the screen.
Otherwise you should prefer an HPV screen even if it does not seem to be unanimous with all roofers.

Personally I have not yet tackled the insulation, but in terms of screen I opted for a "normal" HPV on the north side, and a "relex" HPV (covered with a layer of reflective aluminum) on the south side, in order to 'try to limit the summer overheating a little.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 22/12/13, 12:21

Hello,

Do you have pictures It would be more explicit.

You say you want to start with the attic, so the space between the roof (under the tiles) and the attic floor: a priori the insulation could therefore be done either on the ground or between the rafters of the roof.

I had the opportunity to do both, with rock wool:

- on the ground, it is quick and simple, but if the attic is fitted, it is more difficult to circulate

- between rafters and roof, it's more work because you have to hold the insulation to the ceiling
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"