oil boiler replacement - Criteria for selection?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

oil boiler replacement - Criteria for selection?

by davidex » 21/10/13, 14:01

Hello,
I will have to change an old boiler to fuel oil, and I am looking for the criteria to take into account to allow me to choose the most suitable.

I have read dozens of threads in this forum, but it still remains obscure for me who knows nothing in this area.

1. What are the advantages / disadvantages of the different oil boiler technologies?

2. Which are those deemed to be the most efficient (value for money, brands, reliability, etc.).

3. What criteria to take into account other than the area to be heated (around 150 m2, 2 floors / separate apartments)

4. Do you have information to allow the coupling of solar panels / solar hot water, with fuel oil boilers (as backup)?

5. Are there books / websites that clearly explain all of this?

My house:
- In Savoy (therefore rigurous winter) /
- All windows are double glazed.
- Two apartments to be heated independently, on two separate floors (need a separate count).
- All water heaters are made of cast iron, and all have thermostatic valves.

Thank you for your answers.

Sincerely,
David.
Last edited by davidex the 21 / 10 / 13, 15: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x
- Audacious Fortuna Juvat -
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 21/10/13, 14:50

fuel oil is in my opinion everything except a choice for the future. changing your oil boiler to a more efficient one is good, but you also have to think about alternatives with another energy. and depending on your house, your insulation, your region, your budget, etc., you can choose your heating for the next 20 years.
0 x
Click my signature
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by davidex » 21/10/13, 14:56

dirk pitt wrote:fuel oil is in my opinion everything except a choice for the future. changing your oil boiler to a more efficient one is good, but you also have to think about alternatives with another energy. and depending on your house, your insulation, your region, your budget, etc., you can choose your heating for the next 20 years.

Your answer leaves me hungry, because you suggest to change, but do not offer anything concrete.

This is why I want to know if we can couple such a boiler with solar.

Otherwise, generally speaking without fuel, which boiler has the best performance / quality / price ratio? Gas boiler? other?
0 x
- Audacious Fortuna Juvat -
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 21/10/13, 16:05

If you have room to store fuel, look at the pellet or woodchip boilers.
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 21/10/13, 16:08

I did not want to influence but just to bring the reflection on the primary energy. after each case is different.
0 x

Click my signature