It's smoking, wood stove. Reverse print

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
the auvergna
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

It's smoking, wood stove. Reverse print

by the auvergna » 15/10/13, 19:55

Hi all ,
I am a stove user recently.
I moved into an apartment equipped with a wood stove, the stove belonged to the former tenant, I bought it to avoid all the hassle of buying a new stove, and its installation.

The stove worked well until tonight. I wanted to light the stove as I usually do, but the smoke did not come out by the chimney but remained in the stove.

I opened the stove and I pass you the phase where my apartment was overrun with smoking. You don't feel fresh air in the stove.

The chimney sweep must be done in the coming days, but the last sweep is not 1 year old.

In your opinion, could this come from a plug in the duct? If so, how do you unclog it?

Thank you in advance
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 15/10/13, 21:11

Sudden obstruction is unlikely, it is likely to be a temperature inversion.
This phenomenon occurs when the top of the chimney flue is warmer than the bottom, this is the case when the outside part is exposed to the sun.
The extraction of smoke is then impossible since the gases tend to descend the duct ...
This also makes it possible to understand that in normal times, a chimney draws less well at startup and much better afterwards, when it has reached its operating temperature.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
the auvergna
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by the auvergna » 15/10/13, 21:33

Hi,

if i understand you correctly the phenomenon is normal?
There was no sun today but rather rain. It must be said that it is not so cold.
I would try again tomorrow.

I was told about the stove duct which could be clogged, how can we check if there is a passage of air?

This temperature inversion, can we reverse it to make the chimney work?

Thank you for your help.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 15/10/13, 22:18

No need necessarily of sun, a cool period followed by a rainy warmth and the conditions are met to trigger this phenomenon, since the outside of the chimney, less isolated, will be hotter than the lower part.

To be sure that the stove pipe is not blocked, nothing like a dismantling!

Otherwise, to reverse the inversion 8) , it may be possible to create a temporary air flow in the right direction by using, for example, a blower vacuum ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: It smokes, wood stove

by jean.caissepas » 15/10/13, 23:49

d'Auvergne wrote:I wanted to light the stove as I usually do, but the smoke did not come out by the chimney but remained in the stove.

A tip that my father put into practice:
Start a small fire with 3 balls of newspaper and very dry small wood.
the fire will start very strong and heat the duct, creating an upward flow.
as soon as the paper is burnt and the small wood is on fire, add a few logs a few cm in diameter.
when the medium logs have caught fire, add the large logs.

note: fully open the stove's ventilation grilles until the large logs have been placed. Afterwards, it closes about 3/4 or more if the wood is very dry (dead wood).

bad draft with a lot of smoke is common if the winds are swirling, in case of cold rain (the cold enters the duct and creates a downward flow which prevents the smoke from coming out), and in case of fog.

Check that the wood is dry, otherwise a lot of smoke and the pipe cannot heat up because the flames are too weak and short.
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 15/10/13, 23:53

you have to understand the principle of the draft: difference in the weight of the air in the smoke pipe compared to the air outside the building

when the fire is well lit the chimney is hot and the outside air is cold, so it shoots well

normally at ignition same temperature in the chimney, and outside: no draft, but it is enough the first puff of hot smoke in the furnace pipes to start the draft

inversion of draft: example in the morning after a cold night and an external reheating: it is still cold in the chimney, colder than the outside air, this reverse draft prevents the smoke from leaving

the only simple way is to wait until these unfavorable conditions change: when it is hot outside it is that there is no need to make fires!
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 16/10/13, 10:45

auvergna wrote:Hi,

if i understand you correctly the phenomenon is normal?
There was no sun today but rather rain. It must be said that it is not so cold.
I would try again tomorrow.

I was told about the stove duct which could be clogged, how can we check if there is a passage of air?

This temperature inversion, can we reverse it to make the chimney work?

Thank you for your help.

Keyword: Inversion layer
*** http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couche_d%27inversion ***

"" "
In general, an inversion layer occurs in a high pressure or in front of a warm front. It can occur in four ways2:

Subsidence reversal is an inversion layer caused by the descent and warming of air in the air column above an anticyclone. It can be at any altitude;
Night inversion is an inversion layer due to the cooling of air near the ground during the night when the sky is cleared by infrared radiation. This type of inversion layer is often found during winter nights in a high pressure;
Advection reversal occurs when the air mass passes over cooler ground such as a snow-covered surface or a cold stream. The latter cools the lower layer of air. It is more marked at night when it combines with the nocturnal effect;
The frontal inversion is formed when the hot air rises from a warm front, failing to dislodge the cold air close to the ground when approaching a depression.

"" ""
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/10/13, 11:00

It is indeed a reversal of circulation.

By opening the window or door closest to the fireplace, this helps to solve the problem (not by bringing the smoke out through the opening but by rebalancing the draft)
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 16/10/13, 11:33

the air shit? (arrivederci!)

there is no fresh air supply for the stove? the windows / doors have just been changed?
0 x
the auvergna
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by the auvergna » 16/10/13, 11:34

Thank you for your explanation and advice.

This morning for the sake of conscience I cleaned the pipe of the stove. Lots of soot inside, ditto on the top plate of the stove, where the pipe is fixed.

I put some ball of newspaper in the stove and smoke it out by the way.

It is slightly warmer than yesterday, but still rainy weather.
I specify that I live fairly close to a river (less than 100 meters) and moreover in a bowl. I'm going to see with my neighbors, they are also heating in the stove, to see if they have the same problem.
I was trying to open a window when the problem came back.

Otherwise I realized that I had one of the 3 stones at the bottom of the stove which was breaking in half, and the other two were cracked. I read that it could glue, what glue should I use?

Thank you in advance for your answers
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."