vacuum insulation panels (silica): 2 15 cm = cm PU?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

vacuum insulation panels (silica): 2 15 cm = cm PU?

by Christophe » 11/02/13, 10:44

Important innovation (but which already dates from the end of 2011) in the field of facade insulation: vacuum silicate panels whose thermal performance is almost "too good to be true": 2 cm would be equivalent to 15 cm of PU foam ... but it sounds serious!

2 cm thick insulation panels for residential facades

In order to reduce their energy bill, more and more German owners are installing insulation panels for the facades of their homes. Nevertheless, conventional insulation panels have a thickness of approximately 20cm, which can lead to adaptation work at considerable costs at the level of the windows and the roof.

Researchers from the Fraunhofer Institute for Process and Packaging Engineering (IVV) in Freising (Bavaria) and the Fraunhofer Institute for Silicate Research (ISC) in Wurzburg (Bavaria) have developed a new protective film used in the composition of vacuum insulation panels (PIV). These 2cm thick panels, the interior of which is mostly made of silica smoke, have the same insulation properties as a 15cm thick panel made of polyurethane foam. A protective film keeps the PIV in place and prevents air from entering inside it.

This protective film was previously very expensive to produce. Indeed, it consisted of five layers of plastic, three of which had to be metallized with aluminum and then bonded together. Seven manufacturing steps were then necessary, driving prices up. For the moment, PIVs are only introduced in systems where economy of space takes precedence over the question of costs: for example, in high-quality refrigeration and freezing appliances.

The new plastic film developed by researchers from the two Fraunhofer Institutes is easier to produce. Indeed, it only consists of two plastic films having three barrier layers. The production process now only consists of five stages: a plastic film is metallized with aluminum, then coated with a layer of a micrometer thick in ORMOCER [1], before being once again metallized with aluminum; finally, the film obtained is fixed to a waterproofing membrane.

The automatic production process of the protective film was optimized at the Fraunhofer Application Center for Machining Machines and Packaging Technology (AVV) in Dresden (Saxony). "The end product is better and cheaper than the insulation films currently available on the market", explains Gerhard Sextl, director of ISC. In addition, the protective film and its manufacturing process have been patented.

Researchers are now working to simplify the manufacturing process. In addition, they are conducting longer-term tests on the protective film as well as the PIV panels in air-conditioned rooms reproducing seasonal changes and the alternation of heat waves / frost, humidity / dryness. Indeed, PIV panels had until now been able to resist over a period of twelve years, which corresponds to the average lifespan of a refrigerator. However, the construction industry has higher requirements: a facade must be able to last 50 for years, in very diverse climatic conditions. The results of these tests will be available in the coming months.

- [1] The organically modified ceramics (ORMOCER) are an invention of the Fraunhofer ISC Institute. These are organic-inorganic hybrid polymers.
- More details on ORMOCER (in English): http://www.ormocer.de/EN/

http://www.bulletins-electroniques.com/ ... /68531.htm

ps: as it already dates from the end of 2011, the new tests should be available ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/02/13, 16:43

Dedeleco had already talked about this, it seems to me (without knowing that it existed).

I had opposed him that given the continuous atmospheric pressure, the "durability" of the vacuum inside, was the big weak point ...

In addition, it is difficult if not impossible to make a homogeneous insulation over the entire surface of the ITE facade. The advantage (if it is included in the design) is that if it is on the facade, it must be possible to replace faulty elements (see repairing a leaking element, as with repairing aerosol foams, kind of those used for tires ...).

Personally, I see this with a very favorable eye, especially in renovations, because sometimes we hardly have room to slip insulation, especially in the doorways ...

In addition, the gray energy ratio must be drastically lower than all the insulators on the market known (are there other figures?). And as it is "Made in Germany", the reliability must still be there ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/02/13, 23:36

Hey shit, I just finished insulating my cellar with PIR ... pfff
: Cheesy:

Obamot wrote:In addition, the gray energy ratio must be drastically lower than all known insulators on the market (are there other figures?).

What allows you to affirm this?
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

In the series of super insulators

by fabio.gel » 13/02/13, 07:08

A very good insulator for Vacupor® and Vacuspeed®.

seen here

http://www.isolproducts.com/gamme-produits/

They have a thermal conductivity λ <0,005 W / mK, certified for thermal calculation software at λ = 0,0070 W / mK They allow to achieve a thermal resistance R = 5 with 35 mm of insulation.
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 13/02/13, 08:54

Christophe wrote:Hey shit, I just finished insulating my cellar with PIR ... pfff
: Cheesy:

Obamot wrote:In addition, the gray energy ratio must be drastically lower than all known insulators on the market (are there other figures?).

What allows you to affirm this?

So I was talking about the "coating" (the protective film for these PIVs, since that's what it would be about). It's by weight (and if it looks like duroplastic, it's not heavy).

Bein for the implementation, if it's like they say in this page:
http://www.ormocer.de/EN/kompakte_werks ... /index.jsp

[...] that they can use this copolymer as amalgam of filling of dental occlusions, then it becomes extremely resistant and hard a little like enamel on the one hand and they just need UV to cause the reaction of room temperature polymerization on the other hand (harden quickly under the effect of UV light) ...

So no expensive calendering and devouring energy for the implementation, (am I good?)

Furthermore, as we understand, this hybrid silicone-based copolymer can be injected into a mold:
http://www.ormocer.de/EN/kompakte_werks ... /index.jsp

And logically, it hardens in a few seconds under the effect of a UV lamp (so cold without solvent).

"Metalisation", they speak "anti-reflective coatings" and aluminum oxide ... If that's what I think, the metal is deposited by evaporation (vacuum co-condensation or not), it should hardly exceed the thickness of the film that you see on a pair of glasses and that acts as anti-glare, right?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 13/02/13, 09:29

[Edit] co-condensation with other metal alkoxides (Ti, Zr, Al alkoxides).

Just what to use the reflective properties they need, without being burdened with the weight of the metal ..? (It seems, but it's pure speculation on my part)
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 14/02/13, 00:10

Slut, yeah not bad thing except the price ....

price per m² in 2010 of vacupor @ tinlinlin 420 E Ht :) , it's expensive insulation .... source vacupor @ in 2010 :) ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 14/02/13, 00:24

I found a great application for materials: to make the joint between the Delta MS which descends on foundation (or not) and the ITE, or so if not existing, excavation on 80cm and installation of these panels, with which will no longer fear any rise in humidity in the ITE or thermal bridge of the ground floor slab! Isn't this a good idea? : Lol:

Because precisely at this point, it is a fragile junction area where the insulation has strong constraints and can be easily damaged, and one cannot always put a thick insulation.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/02/13, 00:38

we can make very good insulation with vacuum ... but how long does it stay in sufficient vacuum?

it is not enough for a small depression ... it is not linear ... atmospheric pressure or 0,1 atm, it changes almost nothing in the insulation ... for the vacuum to be useful you need a vacuum more pushed ... and the slightest porosity makes everything lose

there are only the glass thermos which keep the vacuum for a long time ... the stainless steel thermos lose their vacuum in a few years ... I find it hard to take seriously the vacuum insulator maintained by a layer of plastic

there may be a day of vacuum insulation aplication in the building, but with socket for vacuum pump, to replenish the vacuum when necessary: ​​I see that for insulation of heating pipes over long distances
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 14/02/13, 01:13

Yes, there clearly Chatelot is 100% right.

Since, moreover, it is quite illusory to want to repair such a panel, therefore considering its price ... I give up the idea. Thanks for the reminder.
0 x