heating selection + isolation in a new building

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
matt988
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

heating selection + isolation in a new building

by matt988 » 26/10/11, 00:30

Hello,

I am in the process of building a brick house 800 meters above sea level in the Haute Loire.

- Brick house of 120 square meters on the ground + 25 mezzanine
- South facing with 2 bay windows + 2 large windows which overlook the living room
- ITE impossible because I knew this mode of isolation too late
- so ITI
- Budget quite limited (I have about 25000 euros to do all the interior myself)

What do you recommend for insulation and heating?

I had a lot of interesting information which told me very well about inertia but I am afraid that my budget will not pass if I make the interior in plaster tiles + wood fiber.

Regarding heating, we also discuss boiler stove + floor heating or boiler + wall heating or boiler + ceiling heating

What do you think of all this?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 26/10/11, 00:51

What bricks? This fixes the necessary insulation, given some insulating bricks.
Insulation especially at 800m altitude is to be expected from the start.
The heating too.
Otherwise indoors the available space is reduced.
Wood heating with circulation by hot air ducts is the cheapest, especially with free (recovered) wood which must not be lacking in Haute Loire, is effective and can compensate for poor insulation.
0 x
matt988
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by matt988 » 26/10/11, 03:34

They are 20 cm single wall bricks with, I believe, a thermal coefficient of 0.7.

Can we circulate hot air with a stove?

Thank you
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 26/10/11, 07:21

Can we circulate hot air with a stove?

Hello,
This process has been around for a very long time, and works wonderfully.
Take advantage of the fact that the house is under construction to install the cladding.
A friend of mine just built, and has this system; he has young children (room heating), and is very happy with his installation.
In fact, it takes advantage of its double vmc system to capture the calories from the stove and distribute them throughout the house.
It no longer uses its underfloor heating (oil boiler), because wood is much more profitable.
That said, all this is expensive ... if you want good stuff.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 26/10/11, 12:12

These are 20 cm single wall bricks with, I believe, a thermal coefficient of 0.7

What is the unit for this undefined coefficient ??????????????
What brand of monomur because there are different types ??
Example info:
http://www.imerys-structure.com/profess ... ur30JM.asp
which gives 2,61m2K / W gives a loss of 1 / 2.61W / m2K = 0,383W / m2K
which is good because 10cm of good insulation (glass wool, polystyrene), at 0,03W / mK gives 10 times more or 0,3W / m2K for 10cm thick, or for 0 ° C outside and 20 ° C inside 20x0,383 = 7,66W / m2 lost by your monomurs. and for 200 m2 of walls (to be calculated for your house exactly) the losses are 1,53KW, which is low.
Without further loss a very small stove will be sufficient.

So you have to calculate the heat losses of your house, walls, roof spaces, VMC windows etc ..., before any decision.

So if true and well laid without thermal bridges should be sufficient especially for free wood heating, which I use.
So if you are not too demanding with this type of bricks an interior insulation is not essential ?????
If you want to halve the heat losses you need to add at least 2cm of good conventional insulation.

Personally I use the circulation of hot air with insert, that handyman, you can improve and add on stove by transforming it into stove of mass as carried out by some on econology.
By recovering free wood wasted everywhere (hedge trimming and trees burnt in the open air by my neighbors who smoke otherwise by burning them in the open air)
0 x
matt988
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by matt988 » 14/11/11, 11:58

Hello and sorry for my late reply.

You put me a glue for the brand of the monomur !!! : Shock:

How can I calculate the heat losses of the house? Is there software?

After calculating the budget I plan to leave with insulation of 140 in the walls + placo and soufflé in the attic.

But on the other hand I still have the question of heating which really stresses me out because I am in complete doubt!

Do you have advice on making a choice?

Thank you
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 14/11/11, 12:20

Calculation losses with surface of walls or others multiplied by losses per m2 is 1 / R (of the total monomur + insulator (sum of R) in Watts / m2 ° C) x difference of T between inside and outside for each type of surfaces and added !!

The heating is fixed by the needs corresponding to the losses.
Green ideal green mass stove with free wood collected everywhere !!

Otherwise if lazy, pellet stove suitable for power, or even 2 smaller stoves, to better modulate.

See on econology all posts and info ...
0 x
matt988
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by matt988 » 14/11/11, 13:28

Temperature difference between inside and outside, it's hard to say !!! what period should you take?

I also plan to put underfloor heating with water.

I heard of a balloon with a circuit for underfloor heating inside and a circuit for hot water.

What do you think?

Thank you
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 14/11/11, 17:30

Hello matt,
For underfloor heating, you have to remember that it has nothing to do with a radiator heater.
The difference? by radiator, your house is warm in 20 minutes (cold start)
Floor heating has a large thermal inertia.
This means that it is not enough to mount the thermostat to get warm within 20 minutes.
In fact, you have to keep the soil at temperature, not easy to know what the weather will be tomorrow.
These are the words of a colleague who has this kind of heating.
Otherwise, the underfloor heating is very pleasant. :D
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 14/11/11, 17:34

Matt, I just read that you are in new construction!
So, get closer to the passive house, and your heating will only be a little extra stove.
0 x