Choice wood pellet boiler: Okofen, HS, Neoterre ...?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Marcel Klein
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Choice wood pellet boiler: Okofen, HS, Neoterre ...?

by Marcel Klein » 20/06/11, 20:55

Hello,
I am to install a wood pellet boiler. I have a surface to heat of 70 m2. I live in Lorraine.
I had several quotes with: Okofen boiler, HS France, Néoterre.
Who can tell me about the best choice?
Thank you
Marcel
0 x
roy1361

Re: Choice of wood pellet boiler: Okofen, HS, Neoterre ...?

by roy1361 » 20/06/11, 21:48

Hello,

If you want user feedback, you have this: forumbuild.com/construct/sujet-119881.php

Good reading.

PS: The must for pellet boilers is found among the Austrians ;-)
Last edited by roy1361 the 20 / 06 / 11, 21: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/06/11, 21:49

0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 23/06/11, 17:36

for 70m2 you can doubt the usefulness of a boiler, because depending on the insulation you will need between 11kw if not isolated at all and 3kw if super-insulated, this for periods at -15 °.
I advise you to orient yourself rather towards a stove-boiler, or downright towards an air stove. there are very efficient and silent ones for less than 2000 €.
Given the difference in price, it would take you centuries to recoup the additional cost of a boiler, and a flame in the living room is pretty.
0 x
roy1361

by roy1361 » 23/06/11, 20:57

I advise you to orient yourself rather towards a stove-boiler, or downright towards an air stove. there are very efficient and silent ones for less than 2000 €.

That's right, but a stove will not fail, and will not necessarily be compatible with the lifestyle of the inhabitants ...

Given the difference in price, it would take you centuries to recoup the additional cost of a boiler

I don't like the term "profitability" when we talk about a boiler. We are not talking about profitability when buying a swimming pool, a car or an equipped kitchen. Personally, when I switched from fuel to pellets, it wasn't for profitability but out of an urgent need to get out of fuel and out of "conviction" to try to do better ...

And a flame in the living room is pretty.

With a log stove, the fire is indeed pretty. But there is the "chore" of logs and a lack of autonomy. The pellet stove has the advantage of a certain autonomy, but the "chore" of logs turns into a "chore" of bags, and the very crematory oven aspect of the fire is not necessarily the happiest ...

A+
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 23/06/11, 21:31

a stove also does DHW, it's a question of circuit.
For the rest indeed, each one makes his choices and the budgetary constraint is not the same for all, hence the interest of different opinions.
0 x
roy1361

by roy1361 » 23/06/11, 22:14

Philippe Schutt wrote:a stove also does DHW, it's a question of circuit.

Yes yes, of course, I agree, but lighting your stove in the middle of summer to have your DHW is not necessarily very pleasant and the "pretty" side of the fire may not be so appreciated while drinking your pastis from the terrace ...

And what is likely not to be appreciated either, is to do its DHW with an electric balloon, knowing that for its 70 m2 our friend Marcel will most likely have more (+) energy needs for his DHW than for his heating ...

On the other hand, it is fair to say that a pellet boiler represents a big investment for 70 m2, even if it allows full automation and DHW production over the year. With these "small" surfaces, we find ourselves facing the same problem as with almost passive houses ...
0 x
Marcel Klein
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Marcel Klein » 23/06/11, 22:26

Philippe Schutt wrote:a stove also does DHW, it's a question of circuit.

On the other hand, it is fair to say that a pellet boiler represents a big investment for 70 m2,

Yes but I have a fuel oil boiler which is 35 years old! So it's true that it's an investment, but fuel has no future. And I cannot install a stove, no duct and I would have to mount the fuel upstairs!
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 23/06/11, 22:26

it is true that for 70m2 if they are well insulated, a boiler even the smallest will work on and off all the time which will not be good.
with the difference in price between a pellet boiler and a pellet stove, he can afford a solar DHW : Cheesy:
0 x
Click my signature
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 23/06/11, 23:17

Okay, let's clarify:
what is your level of insulation, or what is your fuel consumption?
0 x