Heating wood at home?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Jojo1968
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Heating wood at home?

by Jojo1968 » 06/04/11, 09:16

Hello everyone
I am in full reflection to change my heating mode at home.
Here's the situation,
location in oise, 33m above sea level, 1820 storey house.
Basically 55m2 per level, 7x9 interior rectangle. I am 275cm high under the ground floor and 235 upstairs.
The walls are made of limestone and are 70cm thick. Double glazed windows from the 90s. The walls are lined inside with a 10 + 20 polystyrene panel.
The non-convertible attics are insulated 10cm from LDV on the floor and 10cm by crawling.

plan of the ground floor as an attachment, knowing that the floor is identical to the ground floor after the distribution of the rooms (except for the staircase)

I currently have city gas heating, consumption of 12500kwh (heating, DHW and stove), I heat 19 below and 17 above, a little less at night.
I currently have an open fireplace which is very small, the hearth is about 50x50x30 which despite its small size can heat the ground floor in winter.

So my idea is to transform this fireplace into a closed hearth to provide heating.

My question, do you think this is possible. If yes, under what conditions? hot air distribution, if yes, with ventillo or not etc ...

To answer a few loose questions, yes I can insulate more in the attic, that's not a problem. For an ITE it is not currently playable because I do not have large roof overhangs (and I do not have any short in gables) and being in zone ABF, said ABF requires a stone facing on the facade. Suddenly it would be necessary to lengthen the rafters of frame, create overhang of gable roof and make the ITE, which in terms of costs raises the note in a non negligible way (I do not say that I would not do it but I admit that the first quotes are ... salty!).
Then why heat with a fireplace rather than putting a boiler back on? For 2 reasons, the first one I only have room for a wall-mounted boiler, which is quite limiting. The second, I do my wood and there ... economic level is still not bad!

Now if some have a good solution to offer me, I am open to any heating proposal!

below the ground floor plan

Thank you for your help.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 06/04/11, 10:14

it is a house of 120m2 on 2 floors.
having a single point of heat production is likely to be less comfortable than your current system: I suppose you have a circuit of radiators.
I would rather suggest you keep the radiator circuit and put a granulated boiler.
there must also exist granulated stoves with water circuit I believe.
0 x
Click my signature
Jojo1968
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Jojo1968 » 06/04/11, 10:26

Thank you for your answer.
Comfort level, we are ready to deal with it.
For the pellets, yes why not but I don't have room for a pellet boiler (unless it exists on a wall?) And above all I don't have the room to store the said pellet!
That's why I put the granulate aside a little, but I don't close the door if I can find a good compromise ...
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 06/04/11, 11:18

storing log wood for a full winter takes up more space than the equivalent in pellets.
what is the starting point of your motivation: economy?
you just plan to make a wood supplement to decrease the consumption of gas but continuing to operate your central heating?
0 x

Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/04/11, 11:30

Small note:

From my home the map is not displayed. At your place if?

You can convert it to .gif or .pdf (if high resolution) it should be better.
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 06/04/11, 12:24

Hello everyone,

Log wood + existing radiator circuit.

I suggest the boiler insert with hydro-accumulation.

FYI, I also live in Picardy and I installed a mixed fuel / wood system by boiler insert (+ solar in progress).

A+

Gérald
0 x
Jojo1968
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Jojo1968 » 06/04/11, 14:32

So to meet everyone ...

dirk pitt wrote:storing log wood for a full winter takes up more space than the equivalent in pellets.
what is the starting point of your motivation: economy?
you just plan to make a wood supplement to decrease the consumption of gas but continuing to operate your central heating?

So yes I have room to store wood outside. On the other hand, all the pellet dealers I have seen all advise me not to store the pellets outside, even in a sealed silo, unless you specifically build a cabin for the silo and put it within 20m, I believe, basically the cabin in the middle of the garden ...
My primary motivation is to change energy. Next comes the economy.
The aim is to keep the gas boiler to a minimum (at least for DHW).

Christophe wrote:From my home the map is not displayed.

I put it back

loop wrote:Log wood + existing radiator circuit

Yes, the boiler option also interests me. Now I have been told that the ball needs to be 10 times the volume of the chimney. And again the question of "where to put this balloon"?
I could possibly cram a balloon in place of my current boiler but within the limit of about 200L, but this implies an electrical backup (that's not a problem) but above all to be able to heat only with the fireplace ... and there ?

Thank you for your help.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/04/11, 15:06

As I have in two of my houses, a closed insert or stove with good efficiency, with exchanger and circulation of hot air with ducts to the rooms works very well, if well installed (and CO detectors) !! for cheap and rfree recovery of wood and plants thrown everywhere in the vicinity once well dried in summer and kept dry outside in a simple ventilated shelter (without condensation under tarpaulin).
I lived 10 years with free wood lost from the neighborhood of the 1999 Christmas storm !!
It is the solution you are looking for and it works, almost free afterwards with a little elbow grease to collect the lost wood from its garden hedges and the neighborhood (in infinite quantity for me) !!

For second homes, it is powerful with quick start to get warm before the end of the weekend unlike other slow and expensive heaters (electricity, heat pump, gas, fuel oil, pellets, Okof .., etc.)!

This eliminates the expense of original heating while retaining its backup use.

One annoyance is the need to feed it by hand which can be reduced if you choose well as a stove insert mass, that you can assemble yourself, see the examples on econology !!!.

In addition to recovering this lost wood makes you exercise recommended for health!
0 x
Jojo1968
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Jojo1968 » 15/04/11, 15:21

Well, I'm coming back to you because I have explored a few avenues ...

So I was offered a wall-mounted pellet boiler, so far so good, we may have found a means of storage (a sealed silo in my cellar which is attached to the house) but ... € 7000 just the boiler , it hurts ! When we add the silo, the installation and the smoke ... heum how to say ... the note is more than salty!
I also brought a plumber friend for the hydro home, so for him it's playable (as he tells me, anything is possible), despite some drawbacks. So we would place a balloon in the cellar (14 ° constant), we must of course draw cold water towards the fireplace (so cross the whole house) and bring the tubes to the cellar (2nd crossing!).

If not to answer Dedeleco, your experience interests me a lot. I read a lot of posts on the forum. I actually have free wood (today I give it to neighbors, friends, relatives ...) so the all-wood solution is for me the most profitable.
So I would like to know more about your installation, what you consume etc ...

Besides, does anyone know within the framework of a closed hearth with distribution of hot air, how one calculates the power of the ventillo necessary?
Another question, when a manufacturer speaks of 8m of maximum sheath length it is 8m from the mouth of the hood to the insufflation mouth or 8m of horizontal distance between the hearth and the mouth?
Because um 8m for example when we pass a stage we already have in 3-4m, so that leaves only 4m in horizontal ...

Goods.
0 x
poleau
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by poleau » 16/04/11, 23:55

Good evening everyone,

Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2010 20:41 pm

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Good evening everyone,

A link that can give ideas

See the CR on the site in practice.

Updated on 11/04 2011

http://www.apper-solaire.org/Pages/Expe ... /index.pdf

Do not believe that the most complicated installations are the best. Cost of this installation
1 stove at 1300 euros + ventilation + tiling + arrangement of the hood (plasterboard anti firewall) .... all for less than 2000 euros.
Learning how to make a fire according to the cold, requires a little experience at the beginning

poleau
0 x