test campaign with electricity consumption PM230

Various experiences made by members of the forums concerning in particular small household appliances and energy management.
Christophe

test campaign with electricity consumption PM230

by Christophe » 29/07/06, 18:56

Here I start the test campaign of my appliances with the PM230 available here: power consumption meters

I would add the results as and when my tests.

Tests at the "Office":

1) ADSL Modem Router : 20,7 W when you unplug the router and just leave its tranfo we find: 18,4 W : Shock:
The router itself only consumes 2,3 W but its tranfo consumes 18,4! The efficiency of the system is therefore miserable 11,1%! : Evil: It's a safe bet that all small transformers have similar performance ... hence their warming!

Conclusions: disconnect our transformers from small electro device!

2) Fluorescent Tube Desk Lamp from 11 W.

I bought it thinking that it was consuming 11 W ... the PM230 detected a consumption of 40 W hot tube ... where was the power? In the integrated transformer that heated enormously ... Lamp directly the garage!

3) PC (AMD64 3000 + with 2 hard drives + 3 ventillos extra extractions + 1 GB ram)

At startup: 120 W approximately
At work "quiet" (currently when I write this message with small MSN-style applications in the background): 105 W
At "forced" labor (for example by playing : Cheesy: ): 180 W.

The cos phi is 0.99 probably because of the windy ???

4) Samsung SyncMaster 913V Flat Screen : 26 to 30 W (30 W at startup) it seems to consume a little less when it is hot.

For an 19 26 W I find it quite reputable.
It does not seem that there is variation according to the "colors" of the screen. In other words a very dark or very clear screen gives the same consumption ... Behind the screen is noted: AC 110-230 V / 0.7 A ...

0.7 I guess it's the maximum amperage because if it consumes 0,7 A 230 V it would give 160W ... and even in 110 V it would be 77W :?:

....to be continued...

If you have measures to add they are welcome!
Last edited by Christophe the 29 / 01 / 15, 18: 11, 6 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/07/06, 17:22

I played the same game a few months ago, more simply, with an ammeter in series, the voltage being supposed to remain stable.

PC only: 100 watts
Screen (cathodic) about fifty watts

morality, I reprogrammed my energy saver so that it turns off the screen fast enough. I would stop the whole bazaar, but it takes 5 minutes at least the bike to be operational (Windows XP)

your 11 Watts eco lamp? Are you sure ? because it barely has the luminous flux of an 50 watts ?, in other words the economy is almost zero, apart from the greater longevity.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/07/06, 17:31

I do not understand very well:

your PM 230 "burning chair", why would not it be compatible with Italian networks Spanish, German, Danish, boldo-floraque.
That said, for 35 euros it's quite a lot of work and it's cheaper than a "correct" multimeter

What is a "correct" multimeter? : it's a multimeter whose cords hold up.
Before, I had multimeters 15 euros because they entered the pocket of my overalls. But the cords flank after a month or two and a game of good cords costs more than 15 euros.

I am now buying multimeters at 50 euros.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/07/06, 18:16

elephant wrote:your 11 Watts eco lamp? Are you sure ? because it barely has the luminous flux of an 50 watts ?, in other words the economy is almost zero, apart from the greater longevity.

Affirmative! And I just left a bricomarché that sold equivalent model (even 11 W fluocompact tube U) with a nice little transformer performance probably miserable (see measurement on the modem router) ... in these conditions to take a good old halogen ... The price is that it is sold with the argument "save energy" ... pfff
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/07/06, 18:25

Sky,
but could you do the test with a real eco lamp of great brand (Philips, Sylvania, Osram), directly connected to the sector in a socket.
What I do not understand in this story is the transformer, normally it works on the 230 these beasts there and the electronic ballast is incorporated!
This transformer, it would not be a ballast, by chance?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/07/06, 18:30

elephant wrote:but could you do the test with a real eco lamp of great brand (Philips, Sylvania, Osram), directly connected to the sector in a socket.

No it is not the bulbs in E27 or E14 that they consume what is indicated (test already realized a more detailed will be done later)! I speak of U-shaped lamps neon ... I'll find you a picture! I suppose yes there is a balast or at least a transformer in the lamp ... from the outside hard to tell the difference and everything is poured into the plastic ...
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 07 / 06, 19: 17, 2 edited once.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 30/07/06, 19:13

elephant wrote:I reprogrammed my energy saver to turn off the screen fast enough. I would stop the whole bazaar, but it takes at least 5 minutes to the bike to be operational (Windows XP).
With XP, there is an alternative to restart the pc quickly, after a shutdown.
It is to configure the PC in "hibernate". This is especially for saving laptop batteries, but it works with a desktop PC.
-------------------
Control Panel / Power Options
* "Power Management Mode" tab
Power Management Mode area, fill in the corresponding answer.
Settings area:
Turning off the monitor-after 15mn
Stopping hard disks - after 30mn
Paused-after 45mn
Tap on "apply"
Appears "Hibernate" -after 1 time ..
* "Hibernate" tab enable the box.
* "Advanced" tab
Zone When I press the power button, select "Hibernate"

Click on "apply" then on "OK"
Close all windows and press the power button, it is the extinction of the PC.
The monitor and speakers, you turn them off manually.
Later, you press the power button, and the PC turns on again in the minute.
-----------
At your service… :D
-----------
Multimeters to 15 or 10 € now, I have a dozen, and it is handy to always have one at hand, at home, by car. When the cord breaks into the plug, you pierce the plug and weld a soft 1,5 wire. Inusable!
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 30/07/06, 19:16

Hello
Normally the ballast is used to initiate the tube thanks to the famous
extra current breaking, so it is a consumer of short duration in the same way as the heating filament said tube.

so there is a prob in the mount that leaves one of the 2 powered up (see the 2)

Another thing my wattmetre was "blocked" on 98.4w after a measurement on a freezer (measure on 24h).
So I have to find a new one
So christophe I was wondering if you did not know a shop or he sell one like yours : Cheesy:
Last edited by delnoram the 30 / 07 / 06, 22: 23, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/07/06, 19:17

Here I have hardly found an image is a pellet G23

Well then, according to what I understood, all the G (G23 G24 * GX24 * and 2G * or * more specific references) are EXTRA-powered fluocompact (it existed in fact before the E27 and E14 fluocompact) contrary to the compact fluorescents with INTERNAL power supply.

Where is the "scam" is that with the G base the power given is that consumed by the bulb and not by the bulb + the transformer!

Well it should be confirmed my measurement but in any case with the model that I have no picture: lamp sold for 11W, consumed 40W ..
Last edited by Christophe the 09 / 12 / 13, 11: 36, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/07/06, 19:20

delnoram wrote:So christophe I was wondering if you did not know a shop or he sell one like yours : Cheesy:

Uh if you speak of a current meter (had not buy Chinese, the 1er I had also walked 2 months and after blocked like yours and display of what matter!) Ben there is a nice shop over there : https://www.econologie.com/shop/ what appears to be serious need help since they start : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x