Seeking data logger counts the pulses of the electricity meter

Various experiences made by members of the forums concerning in particular small household appliances and energy management.
arcsinusmaster
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Seeking data logger counts the pulses of the electricity meter

by arcsinusmaster » 01/10/12, 12:13

Hello dear econologists,

I am looking to track the overall consumption of my home by counting pulses 1Wh my EDF meter. (a flashing of the diode on the meter = 1Wh)

I know it is possible to connect small data loggers that will count these pulses with a certain time step. I wanted to know if any of you know a datalogger that corresponds to the following specifications:

- able to record the number of pulses at a fairly fine time step (10 second example)

- having enough memory to be able to record at a very short time for at least a week without having to empty the memory

- without a visual interface if possible, I only want to recover raw information.

- which does not cost very much of course : Cheesy:

I also wanted to know if the operation of connecting the datalogger with the EDF meter is a simple operation that does not require the intervention of an electrician. Can we connect it using a "standard" connector to the meter without having to tamper with the EDF meter too much?

I need this type of device to be able to test small "homemade" signal processing algorithms which would allow me, if they work well, to separate my consumption curve into several distinct elements. To perform my signal processing operations I would need a fairly fine time step of around 10 seconds if I want to achieve something drinkable.

Thank you in advance!

PS: I am an R&D engineer in energy
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/12, 12:32

Uh you can not use the com port of the meter? This info must be accessible directly in electrical impulse no?
You will find a complete datasheet here: https://www.econologie.com/les-compteurs ... -4026.html

Otherwise an optical meter should do the trick ... but I have nothing specific in mind there ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 01/10/12, 12:39

a flashing of the diode on the meter = 1Wh

No wire connection needed, just a LED in detection or photodiode or phototransistor, protected from light, to detect the blinking and count these pulses after an op amp, with a basic counter (CMOS circuit followed by a programmable card basic with some input wires). these types of montages abound on the internet, in French, in English and in German.

The memory will not be saturated by recording the number of pulses by a few tens of seconds (8640 points per day).

EDF counter tampering is forbidden (leaded!).
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/10/12, 13:20

dedeleco wrote:EDF counter tampering is forbidden (leaded!).

the recent electronic counter is not free! as long as they have already paid as much as they use the possibilities they have

thank you for the doc download: we see that there is an output almost RS232 that constantly repeats all available information

this is not true RS232, but the same ASCII signal as the RS232 in amplitude modulated 50khz: this type of signal is easier to transmit over long distances than the normal RS232 which is too sensitive to parasite
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/10/12, 13:29

of course for the older counter it is possible to count the coup de led

it is not very smart to count the impulses for a given time: it decreases the quality of the information: it is more interesting if the amount of memory is sufficient to record the date of each impulse

it is even possible to record the signal of the led by an MP3 recorder as if it was music: it is a big waste of memory, but it allows to use a player MP3 with recorder function

the only electronics to do is a small circuit sensing the pulse of the LED and transforming it into an audible signal recordable by the MP3
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/12, 13:32

All accessible signals are in the .pdf of 62 pages I mentioned above.

It is not about hacking but to access the information that the meter provides!

4.9 COUNTER METROLOGIC DIMULSIONS
Sequence code = 8

The pulse counter is synchronous with the pulses transmitted on the light-emitting diode (constant = 1 Wh). At any time, it can be reset to 0 by pressing the DEFINE button.

Its maximum value is 9999. When it reaches this value, the next Watt-hour returns it to 0.
Note: The metrological pulse counter then remains active regardless of the operations performed.
Zeroing is only performed when SCROLL is pressed.

See page 39 Teleinformation:

Status of the output Teleinformation and standby signal

1 bit: valid for active output
to 0: metrological impulses

So just take this output and connect a pulse counter that could match: https://www.econologie.com/shop/enregist ... p-115.html to check the exact nature of your counter's signal ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 01/10/12, 14:00

arcsinusmaster wrote:I also wanted to know if the operation of connecting the datalogger with the EDF meter is a simple operation that does not require the intervention of an electrician. Can we connect it using a "standard" connector to the meter without having to tamper with the EDF meter too much?
There is no problem, the connector is accessible in the unleaded part of the meter (as the control output of the relay day / night).

Warning: by default the "remote information" output is inactive.
It must be activated by ERDF which will charge a trip if this change is not made at the same time as another one (modification of subscription for example).
0 x
arcsinusmaster
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by arcsinusmaster » 01/10/12, 14:25

Thank you for your answers!

I will look at the EDF meter doc given by Christophe and the characteristics of the signal recorder.

I'm not very good at electronics but I'll try to get by! I would probably see more clearly with the doc and the meter under the eyes!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/10/12, 15:47

beware it is the doc of a siemens counter ... nothing proves that it applies to any meter

it might be useful to require the doc of his counter

I can not look at my counter I do not have an edf
0 x
arcsinusmaster
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by arcsinusmaster » 01/10/12, 15:48

Yes I will watch the mark of mine on my way home!
0 x

Back to "econological Laboratory: different experiences for econologic"