An "osmotic" power plant pilot project

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
camel1
Pantone engine Researcher

An "osmotic" power plant pilot project

by camel1 » 13/11/07, 23:31

Hi everybody !

I got this info, which seems to me ... amazing and interesting.

A new type of plant, which works with seawater and fresh water, is here

What do you think? : Cheesy:

Michel
0 x
We were on the brink, but we made a big step forward ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/11/07, 23:37

All tracks are good to take ... BUT QUICKLY! For the moment it's not to the point it seems to me ...

At a plant in Hurum, southern Norway, Statkraft will build a tiny osmotic plant capable of producing 2 at 4 KWh, enough to power a few ampoules.

"The prototype is only intended to validate the technology," says Dugstad.

According to Statkraft, the osmotic energy could be competitive around 2015. With Europe, North America, South Africa and parts of Latin America among the markets considered the most promising.

What about wear and cost of membranes?

The plants that produce GWh ca annoy me a little ... GWh by what?

ps: we had already talked about it I think ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/11/07, 01:17

the desalination plant is the reverse osmosis it takes pressure in the salt water to force the pure water to pass into the membrane without salt

the natural osmosis is the opposite: the pure water will go all alone in a membrane where there is salt water under pressure

so it can walk where there is very pure water in abundance next to the sea

if the pressure is 40bar this is the same energy as if this water was a fall of 400 meter

it can be a small-scale source of energy for a person who is at the seaside in a country where it rains a lot

for the wear of the membrane it must be better than the desalination if we have very pure water to pass through the membrane
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/11/07, 09:41

Pkoi not use freshwater sources underwater?

What worries me precisely is that we risk running out of "very" pure water in the next decade ... I doubt that it will be profitable (for the moment) to "pollute" very pure water for make electricity ...

Moreover the article does not mention the amount of water per joule produced ... in my opinion it is far from negligible (style several liters per joule ...)

Otherwise I do not always understand the principle: where do the free electrons come from?
0 x
AIR
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by AIR » 14/11/07, 12:03

And then I think the surface was 200 km² to produce a few kilowatts ...
0 x
the men precede the forest, the deserts follow them "CHATEAUBRIANT
camel1

by camel1 » 14/11/07, 14:56

Hi Christophe, and everyone!

Christophe wrote:What worries me precisely is that we risk running out of "very" pure water in the next decade ... I doubt that it will be profitable (for the moment) to "pollute" very pure water for make electricity ...

However, the article seems clear to me, I quote:

All we do is mix fresh water and sea water, without adding anything in a process which is perfectly natural "since it occurs wherever rivers flow into the sea.

The source of fresh water is the rivers flowing into the sea, the source of salt water is ... ... sea water : Lol:

Moreover the article does not mention the amount of water per joule produced ... in my opinion it is far from negligible (style several liters per joule ...)

Ben no, but it gives an indication in terms of power / m²:

Over the years, Statkraft claims to have achieved, in the laboratory, a flux (the amount of energy brought to the surface) of 3 Watt / m2.

And finally here:

Otherwise I do not always understand the principle: where do the free electrons come from?

Ben, however, it's explained at the beginning of the article:

The additional pressure generated on the salt water, itself previously pressurized, can then be converted into energy via a turbine.

There is no "electron migration" what ... : Cheesy:

Conclusion:

We must take the time to read (I know, there is so much information that it is not obvious, so we read diagonally, but sometimes, the diagonal disrupts a little too much info ... : Mrgreen:)

A+

Michel
0 x
We were on the brink, but we made a big step forward ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/11/07, 15:51

attention the reporter who wrote the article did not understand the difference between membrane m2 inside the filter and m2 occupied by the factory
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 14/11/07, 16:16

Hello,

Another problem also, the life of the membrane ....
At the present time in the industrial plants that function and H / 24 the lifetime of a membrane is only one year ...
The price of this membrane is quite substantial, so profitable to demonstrate
For scientists a little doc:
http://olympiades-physique.in2p3.fr/ant ... itre_I.pdf
And a serious calculation:
http://mshades.free.fr/isentropiques/dessalement.html

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"