EMR: Wave energy devices

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
MMP
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

EMR: Wave energy devices

by MMP » 28/12/17, 11:47

Hello everybody

I am currently working on a file on wave motors in France and around the world.

Are there any of you who can help me draw up a brief assessment of the state of technology?
What devices are working, and or what have failed. What are the difficulties encountered ? etc ...

Today, I can say that:
- the devices which are on the surface encounter real difficulties, because they are subjected to the extreme conditions of the high seas.
- Devices connected to the ground do not support the highest waves and tear off.
- The devices must coexist with a marine environment, which can pose a problem for structures, such as, for example, extra weight ...

Do you have any news from the Australians, Carnergie, and their CETO 6 project? I thought I heard in a discussion that they would have taken refuge in a lake ???

Pelamis: After the Chinese coup, where are the structures?

Any news from Oyster and Waveroller?

Thank you in advance for the time you will take to answer my questions.

MMP
0 x
Christophe

Re: EMR: Wave energy devices

by Christophe » 28/12/17, 13:31

Very good question! This subject should allow a synthesis of the existing state of the art. To start we put a lot of news regularly in this subject: energies-renewable / l-independence-energetics-of-the-eu-grace-a-la-mer-the-north-t6936.html

Then, I had a lot, a lot, appreciated the originality of the WaveGen technology (and its reliability and cost compared to the various "sea snakes" or other "submerged propellers"): energies-renewable / Wavegen factory-wave-a-compression-and-a-turbine air-t8147.html

But apparently the project is stopped :? ...one more...

If we talk about the energies of the sea, we must also mention the ETM, the thermal energy (thermodynamics in fact) of the sea ... which has a MONSTRUAL potential energies-renewable / energy-heat-of-a-sea-of-energy-future-not realy-t4853.html

Here are some other technologies that I found by typing "tidal turbine" here search.php one of the first results is precisely the waveroller ...

energies-renewable / waveroller-the-tidal-wave-of-dcns-t11924.html
energies-renewable / l-tidal test-future-park-of-paimpol-brehat-pending-t10944.html
https://www.econologie.com/telechargeme ... s-marines/
1 x
MMP
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MMP » 30/12/17, 17:26

Thank you for your answer.

If someone is able to tell me about the main locks that wave energy devices encounter, I also take it. :)

I seek to demonstrate that currently, these devices have nothing to envy to wind turbines, tidal turbines, in terms of cost.

I understood that the amounts had dropped quite appreciably and that competitiveness was in the face of fossil fuels but also in the face of wind turbines etc ... I am satisfied to know it but I would like to understand how the innovations have succeeded in these encouraging new results.

Thank you for your answers ;)

ps: HACE, I don't believe it at all ^^
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 30/12/17, 20:25

should compare a wind turbine at sea and something to capture the energy of the swell: the 2 we need a solid anchor resistant to the violence of the sea ... but it seems to me that for the same construction price wind turbine will produce more energy

I am afraid that the trick to use the swell is very bulky and very dangerous for the poor boat who would get lost in bad weather

a wind turbine is much less dangerous: it's just a mast, you can pass by without danger

a swell sensor must necessarily block the sea over a large width

swell sensor equipment could be integrated into the protective dikes of large ports: there is no longer any question of building in the open sea, but just optimizing construction already useful as a dike

see also the region threatened with flooding by big tide: building dykes that pay mainly for protection and icing on the cake doing a bit of energy would be an idea
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/17, 00:24

MMP wrote:Thank you for your answer.

If someone is able to tell me about the main locks that wave energy devices encounter, I also take it. :)

Uh can i? So loose ... Rust? Storms (energy / force delta from 1 to 100 ...)? Maritime navigation? Environmentalists who want to save fish? Sinners who want to kill fish?
1 x
MMP
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MMP » 02/01/18, 13:05

The Australians' CETO project seems to have overcome the various problems you have mentioned. The structure is underwater, and according to the analyzes, it does not disturb the seabed :)

Why no more devices?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/01/18, 13:48

Because petroleum, uranium and coal still bring investors enough ...

Sad to say, but it is the only reason for the absence of massive investments in the field of renewable energies!
0 x
MMP
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MMP » 03/01/18, 12:53

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. :)

I am continuing my research and I will come to give news on the subject.

In my opinion, things are unlocking because the production cost of the wave has dropped significantly, approaching that of wind. The constraints linked to boat traffic are no longer relevant with submerged processes. The latest analyzes show a minimal impact on the seabed and its inhabitants. In my opinion, we are getting closer to the energy transition .... :)
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 03/01/18, 15:12

why oppose wind and swell energy? the 2 systems have the common point of cluttering the sea, but as long as to clutter it for one of the 2 generator as much to put the 2 at the same time ... it is the wind which produces the swell, but there is not necessarily wind and swell at the same time ... the swell was produced by the wind over the entire width of an ocean, it often arrives towards the coast when there are no more wind

so swell and wind can be a complementary way to use the power lines, rather than using them for a single production
0 x
MMP
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MMP » 09/01/18, 11:14

It's a question of investments, I imagine. We take the device that costs the least that's all, because it must be recognized that the machines are really very expensive. :)

From what I know (but I can be wrong) the division of the territory for the installations is not yet envisaged. Except for on-site studies of the Croisic type

It is also complicated for certain islands that do not want wind turbines and that rely on the wave and photovoltaic panels. But there, the problem is purely political ..... that should change shortly.
0 x

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"