US Navy Tests Electromagnetic Railgun From 33MJ

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
Christophe

US Navy Tests Electromagnetic Railgun From 33MJ

by Christophe » 30/12/10, 21:07

The US Navy successfully tests an electromagnetic gun

(AFP) - 10 dec. 2010

WASHINGTON - An electromagnetic gun that fires a projectile 200 km away and five times the speed of sound, was successfully tested Friday in the United States, beating a record of power, announced the US Navy.

This is the most recent step in the US Navy's efforts to develop a futuristic gun that can launch projectiles without powder or other chemical propellant.

The barrel, in fact a kind of extending toaster, holds two rails between which is placed a projectile and allows to shoot ammunition through the passage of a very powerful electric current in the rails.

The "railgun" test took place during the day at the Navy Research Center based in Dahlgren, Virginia (east), the institute said in a statement.

The power of the shot reached 33 megajoules, three times more than a previous test made in January 2008 (10,64 megajoules). A megajoule is the energy released by a one-ton car crashing against a wall more than 160 kmh.

A projectile shot at the power of 33 megajoules can achieve mach 5, five times the speed of sound, explained the navy.

"This shot shows that the navy can fire projectiles at a distance of at least 110 nautical miles" (200 km), nearly 20 times farther than the devices currently on board at sea, said Admiral Nevin. Carr, chief of naval research.

Such a gun would make it possible to fire farther away - which protects the ship from a possible enemy response - but also to improve the safety conditions of the crews who will no longer have to handle shells or missiles stuffed with materials. explosive.

"The test of the electromagnetic gun carried out today demonstrates the tactical interest of this technology, which could one day complete the arsenal of combat systems for surface ships," added the admiral quoted in the statement.

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 7871bb.851

They do not say with what types of batteries it works ...

Probably nuke ... because to suppose that the shell is accelerated during 3 seconds (and it must be less) in the barrel that would have a transmission efficiency of energy to the projectile at 80% (at random because I have no idea of ​​the performance of a railgun) so you need a power of 33 / (3 * 0.8) = 14 MW is 19 000 cv.

It's not tomorrow the day we'll see it on tanks ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 30/12/10, 23:42

The Russians have done this kind of gear before !!
Very large capacities are discharged much bigger than a photo flash, in rails and the projectile which bypasses them is pushed by the force of Laplace !!!
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_%C3%A9lectrique

For lasers we use these same capabilities !!!

The explosive of the shell has interest to resist an armada of 10000g in acceleration !!

We will finish with the gun of Jules Vernes on the Moon in railgun to launch satellites !!!!!

We managed to reach 20 km / s with small projectiles thrown on the rails by an explosion.

more than enough for a satellite running at 11Km / s

They are targeting 64MJoules !!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

as a prototype of a 64 MJ weapon to be deployed aboard Navy warships ....
The most recent test of a railroad took place on December 10th, 2010, by the US Navy at the Dahlgren Naval Surface Warfare Center Division [19]. During the test, the Office of Naval Research set a world record by 33 MJ shot from the railgun, which was built by BAE Systems
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 31/12/10, 10:52

This type of science fiction machine is unfortunately already operational, the US Navy would not flaunt it otherwise.

This shows the fabulous US lead on Europe in the field of magnetic propulsion (railgun or MHD) management.

Moreover, for the small sources embedded in terrestrial equipment, I would not be surprised to learn that they use generators of PAMIR type : MHD generator converting plasma produced by liquid propellant into electricity. PAMIR3U dates from the 90 years, it weighs 12 tons but produces up to 15 MW.

Or also Sakharov generatorswhich on a similar principle gives their power over very short intervals.

We are not spoiled with all these beautiful weapons for Christmas. :?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/10, 10:56

I say it may be a bit of fun but I wonder if there is not a light version of a railgun on a model of the C130 gunship ...

View its firepower and speed of action, better not be against such a C130 on a battlefield ... it's much worse than a helicopter ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 31/12/10, 12:41

These weapons have a lot of advantages:

- space saving on board for ammunition stock
- better perforating power due to high speed
- range setting
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 31/12/10, 13:06

Christophe wrote:I say it may be a bit of fun but I wonder if there is not a light version of a railgun on a model of the C130 gunship ...

View its firepower and speed of action, better not be against such a C130 on a battlefield ... it's much worse than a helicopter ...

There is already the embedded laser:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1_Airborne_Laser

1 Megawatt of power!

To reassure everyone, you must know that if they speak publicly about such technology, it is because they already have much better plans ....

minguinhirigue wrote:

Moreover, for small sources embedded in terrestrial equipment, I would not be surprised to learn that they use PAMIR type generators: MHD generator that converts plasma produced by liquid propellant into electricity. PAMIR3U dates from the 90 years, it weighs 12 tons but produces up to 15 MW.

With Pamir, there would be the possibility of "awakening" seismic faults!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/10, 14:11

elephant wrote:These weapons have a lot of advantages:

- space saving on board for ammunition stock
- better perforating power due to high speed
- range setting

Yes in addition to the safety for the "users" (except risk of cancer because of the large electromagnetic fields obviously but for the soldiers of the ranks it does not count) ...

You just need the power station dedicated to the gun ...
: Cheesy:

Nevertheless, my econological conscience, asks me to think about the overall energy balance, I know it's not good but what is the best energetically and globally? The powder or the railgun? : Lol: : Lol:

sen-no-sen wrote:To reassure everyone, you must know that if they speak publicly about such technology, it is because they already have much better plans ....

I think the same ... besides if someone finds a photo of a big railgun it would interest me!

Because PAMIR, it would be interesting to awaken volcanoes and limit the warming, cf: https://www.econologie.com/forums/hiver-rigo ... 10299.html
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 31/12/10, 14:19

0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/10, 14:26

Thank you ... waaaaw ... it's ugly!

It looks like an electrically wired plate filter :)

Uh who wants to have fun to determine the amps that pass in the beast saw the sections of cables?

On this page there is even a video (fox news):
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/11/navy ... -megajoule
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 31/12/10, 16:22

determine the amperes that pass in the beast saw the sections of the cables?

The amps are limited by the forces on the cables and the heating before fusion during the microseconds of current !!
It's huge, close to a million amperes.
The machine looks double ??? pre-acceleration then the essential shorter ????
0 x

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"