Dangers of creosote

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Baghdad
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Dangers of creosote

by Baghdad » 27/07/12, 12:12

Hello,
we just bought a house and my husband wanted to surprise me and closed the whole field that will accommodate our horses which adjoins the house. Except that the posts and beams used at the edge of the garden are treated with creosote. The work is very beautiful as well as the rendering, but I am devastated when I think of this junk product. Did the craftsman who did this have the right to put these treated posts so close to a house? Do we have a possible recourse so that it changes at least the posts and beams at the edge of the house ?? My husband paid a substantial price for this.
Thank you for your answers
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 27/07/12, 12:56

Creosote stinks so much that horses don't touch it. On the contrary it prevents them from nibbling the rails and the posts.
Here in Normandy a lot of fences are made like this, and that doesn't cause any problems.
If I had the means, this is also what I would do.

No worries for your horses.
The danger is more to fear for children who do not realize it: they touch the treated wood and 5 minutes later eat something without washing their hands.
0 x
Baghdad
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Baghdad » 27/07/12, 13:20

I expressed myself badly, it is for my children and ourselves that I fear, not for horses. I don't want to be constantly watching them so they don't hit that damn barrier. And there are the extra fumes.
I want to know if the legislation in force authorizes the placing of posts treated in this way near a house as a fence.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 27/07/12, 14:06

A quick internet search will give you the answer to your question.

For example: http://www.gtif.fr/pdf/Creosote.PDF

I am also surprised that the craftsman who put up the fence could find creosote to treat the stakes or even materials treated with creosote since it is prohibited!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 27/07/12, 14:14

Knowing the danger is already a way to avoid it.
If you really want to dismantle this barrier, I think the legal provisions are in your favor.
What is amazing is that despite this ban it is still so easy to buy, even for an individual! (I bought stakes treated with creosote not 1 month ago and I was not asked for any proof)

The other problem is that natural and / or ecological alternatives are overpriced.
If you can afford to mount the same oak barrier (untreated and naturally rot-proof) so much the better for you but for people like me it is only a dream.
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Dangers of creosote

by hic » 27/07/12, 14:15

bagad wrote:Hello,
we just bought a house and my husband wanted to surprise me and closed the whole field that will accommodate our horses which adjoins the house. Except that the posts and beams used at the edge of the garden are treated with creosote. The work is very beautiful as well as the rendering, but I am devastated when I think of this junk product. Did the craftsman who did this have the right to put these treated posts so close to a house? Do we have a possible recourse so that it changes at least the posts and beams at the edge of the house ?? My husband paid a substantial price for this.
Thank you for your answers

Hi bagad
My understanding of the text,

*** Creosote is prohibited, unless it is not "accessible" ***

like a railway sleeper or pole
i.e. for industrial use with a professional human environment with medical monitoring

and I conclude
that an individual must in no case touch the creosoted elements

WARNING!!
The combustion of creosote elements is considered dangerous and toxic !!

and you noticed that horses are smarter than humans lol

In Europe, the use of creosote has been prohibited since 2002 inside premises and for certain external uses.
In France, concerning the placing on the market and the reuse of treated wood, a decree20 authorizes derogations (for certain professional uses only), but prohibits certain uses and the use of wood having been treated with certain products including the so-called " creosotes "(list below)
*** https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Créosote#Usages ***

most recent!
Creosote is listed in Annex I to the Biocides Directive
Pollution | July 26, 2011 | Actu-Environnement.com
*** http://www.actu-environnement.com/ae/ne ... 13132.php4 ***

Historically!
Macadam contains creosote until the 70s 80

Creosote as a cutback oil was allowed until relatively recently, whereas there has been very, very, little tar used used as a binder in bituminous mixtures since the introduction of natural gas back in the late 70's early 80's, ie the end of town gas production which produced tar and creosote as bye products of the gas production process.
*** http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/patchtxt.htm **

Goodbye
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 28/07/12, 13:33

This product has been used intensively for some time and has given excellent results, for example on tomato stakes.
As long as it is new it is sticky and it dries badly, so it gives a bad impression. But it is a perfectly waterproof product, both water and air, and which protects wood, iron or masonry in the long term and prevents them from rotting in contact with moisture, for example when submerged or buried.
It is almost impossible to find, and it is a shame because it is a treatment of very long duration, and the pollution of repetitive treatments is much more important.
0 x