Car sharing between roommates and insurance

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
mediabolo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Car sharing between roommates and insurance

by mediabolo » 15/08/10, 17:29

Here,

I would have liked your feedback and / or opinion. I am (or rather we) looking for a car to share. Indeed, we live on the outskirts of Strasbourg and 95% of our journeys are made by bicycle ... nevertheless some people here may risk having to travel a little longer and more painful from this year, so we are considering the buying a car and sharing the costs. In addition we say that we can use the weekend from time to time in addition.

In short, our problem is how to do it legally:
1) Gray card in which name, if joint purchase?
2) Insurance contract in which name?

Knowing that the biggest problem is insurance rather than the gray card since we are not considering buying a car for € 10000 ...

Indeed for insurance, there is the history of the bonus / penalty and the vehicle loan. I believe it is not possible to insure a vehicle for 4 people. In addition, if one has an accident, what will happen next if we separate and some people want to take over a contract in their name ... will they get the penalty on their new contract due to the accident from the other person?

Basically, do you know any mutuals / insurance companies, where you can say: here I want to share a car between X people and these X people have the same guarantees and the same rights. Already for home insurance some have trouble recognizing the "Colocation".

We thought of the solution of setting up an association whose goal would be: "Share a car" but hey, although that does not frighten us (we are already taking care of another association), we find the principle a little limited. The advantage would be to be able to put the car in the name of the association and all that follows.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
0 x
emlaurent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by emlaurent » 15/08/10, 20:55

For your idea (very good!) You should approach Autotrement: a cooperative that shares carsharing.

If there is a station near the roommate, you just have to become a member.

If there are no stations, you can ask to create it and participate in the financing of the vehicle by taking shares in the coop.
It seems to me that from 10 users, autotrement can create a station

Autotrement, all insurance issues, planning, responsibilities are managed by them

http://www.autotrement.com/

good luck
Emmanuel
0 x
mediabolo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by mediabolo » 16/08/10, 00:34

Thank you for your advice. I looked a little but it would not suit us too much because it would mean 4 subscriptions or 4 close to 500 € / year + after the various rental moves because in our case, often the car will rather be used with a morning departure and return in the evening or after the weekend.

The idea for us for the moment, is to buy a car around 500 € and to maintain / repair it at a lower cost (I am quite a handyman: distri, cylinder head gasket, train repair, ...) .

But if not in principle this remains a good idea for people who are considering buying a new car and who do not know how to maintain it I think.
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 16/08/10, 09:36

mdiabolo wrote:Thank you for your advice. I looked a little but it would not suit us too much because it would mean 4 subscriptions or 4 close to 500 € / year + after the various rental moves because in our case, often the car will rather be used with a morning departure and return in the evening or after the weekend.

The idea for us for the moment, is to buy a car around 500 € and to maintain / repair it at a lower cost (I am quite a handyman: distri, cylinder head gasket, train repair, ...) .

But if not in principle this remains a good idea for people who are considering buying a new car and who do not know how to maintain it I think.

A car in decent condition at 500 € does not exist, except for a miracle and in particular now after the scrapping bonus ...
A modern car, whether petrol or diesel, cannot be maintained either (except for service station operations).
In Strasbourg (city center) there is a car rental company that has several vehicles.
Co-renting a single vehicle is a false good idea because most of the time people will need the car simultaneously, especially if you live on the outskirts of town ...
90% of our trips are made on foot or by bike, but we could not do without a car because in reality, in DISTANCE the 10% by car represents 90% of trips ... for me, in modern life, the individual vehicle (car or motorcycle) is almost essential ...
0 x
emlaurent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by emlaurent » 16/08/10, 10:10

mdiabolo wrote:because in our case, the car will often be used with a departure in the morning and return in the evening or after the weekend.

To see if at the point of arrival, there is not nearby a station autotrement to leave the car there.
Autotrement has stations throughout the Strasbourg aglo and elsewhere in Alsace (and not only in the city center)
0 x
Christophe

Re: Car sharing between roommates and insurance

by Christophe » 16/08/10, 10:12

mdiabolo wrote:In short, our problem is how to do it legally:
1) Gray card in which name, if joint purchase?
2) Insurance contract in which name?

Just to answer these 2 points:
1) A CG can be established with several names: at least 2, but it must surely have a limit.
2) Regardless of the owner of the insurance contract, it is sufficient to take the "third-party driver" option, in most contracts it is automatically ... but in the specific case of joint purchase, Should rather report it to the insurer anyway because there is a risk of having a lot of km made by "third parties" ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/08/10, 10:36

Well I prefer to warn you. I had already done it. In these cases, the insurance company will be tempted to direct you to a formula they already apply to car rental companies! Since this is what most closely resembles the "theoretical model" of risks in this case. Why not ask ... but not to HER insurance, and in an anonymous way Sioux likes it, because otherwise she will have her eyes riveted on you ... And you will soon be placed in the portfolio of "bad risks". And better to avoid!

oiseautempete wrote:
mdiabolo wrote:Thank you for your advice. I looked a little but it would not suit us too much because it would mean 4 subscriptions or 4 close to 500 € / year + after the various rental moves because in our case, often the car will rather be used with a morning departure and return in the evening or after the weekend.

A car in decent condition at 500 € does not exist, except for a miracle and in particular now after the scrapping bonus ...

Not when you are a handyman, there are many more opportunities. Anyway, the garages do little more "repair" than changing parts ... And it also depends a lot on the country in which we are ...

oiseautempete wrote:A modern car, whether petrol or diesel, cannot be maintained either (except for service station operations).

It's not wrong, but for the work that you are unable to do yourself, you can always go to "ad". They have the source codes of the manufacturers to put a vehicle "on the road".

oiseautempete wrote:Co-renting a single vehicle is a false good idea because most of the time people will need the car simultaneously, especially if you live on the outskirts of town ...

I find that our friend is far too kind to imagine pushing the sharing, until repairing a possible vehicle gravely for his co-loc. We should not push the plug too far in "personal investment" .... But it is very honest and deserves to be underlined!

Be careful though ... Who will be the owner? Because "everything is bathed in oil" as long as there is no big problem (big mechanical problem, even catching or more serious accident ...) after that is where the problems begin! There is often no one left and everyone will try to remove their marbles by saying that they are not responsible for the situation (rightly or wrongly, since if everyone accepts the principle, they should also accept that of risk. shared error / s committed by others, since there are cases where it is insoluble ...). To each his own concerns and responsibilities and the cows will be well looked after ...

If you persist, consider doing "early prevention". And think of "new" to reduce the risks! There are currently vehicles that are guaranteed for 7 years! That we find at the first price around 8000 €, which in the end makes a budget of ~ 285 € per year and per person for the purchase of the vehicle ... but 2000 € payable at once if you do not want not go through the banks for a loan ... But this is not a bad deal since for any unsecured European vehicle, the average annual cost of fees / repairs is greater than this amount! (It is an evaluation just to "quantify" and have a point of comparison, in which I did not take into account "possible tinkering" since .... all work deserves salary ... there is no there is no reason why there should be one who pays with his person without equitable compensation from the others ...)

Good luck and great initiative in any case!
0 x
mediabolo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by mediabolo » 16/08/10, 12:26

I find that our friend is far too kind to imagine pushing the sharing, until repairing a possible vehicle gravely for his co-loc. We should not push the plug too far in "personal investment" .... But it is very honest and deserves to be underlined! Be careful though ... Who will be the owner? Because "everything is bathed in oil" as long as there is no big problem (big mechanical problem, even catching or more serious accident ...) after that is where the problems start! There is often no one left and everyone will try to remove their marbles by saying that they are not responsible for the situation (rightly or wrongly, since if everyone accepts the principle, they should also accept that of risk. shared error / s committed by others, since there are cases where it is insoluble ...). To each his own concerns and responsibilities and the cows will be well looked after ...

Well, this is the most relevant remark. Regarding the DIY / maintenance, for the moment it amuses me because I want to continue to learn. The goal is not to spend all my weekends get along there but rather to avoid going to bring him to the garage. Then, as we live in roommate, well that's also life for many for us: if I know how to repair a car (or say able to manage), why I will not do it as long as it remains possible for me . At 4, everyone has their skills and knowledge, the goal being to share so that life with others goes better.

Regarding risk sharing, well there we all agree on the fact that we practice (insurance premium which would increase, ...). Let's say that it is rather an experience that interests us to try. We are well aware of the problems it can have, but we have been living together for quite some time. And if we don't try, well we won't know. This is why for the moment, we are starting more on the idea of ​​an expensive car that would roll. If there is ever a problem, well we can always say that we will not have lost a large sum. In my opinion, there is not much risk in buying a car for € 500! In the worst cases, we will lose € 500 plus some costs incurred on it (say + € 500).

We can also do the opposite reasoning: if a person buys the car while he lives with 3 other people and we know that they will need it from time to time. He will not refuse to lend it to them from time to time. What will happen if accident?
I don't think the situation is easier than if you decide to share costs from the start.

Finally regarding the sharing of the car (in the sense of use), we would have seen the following thing: establish a schedule the week before with a kind of notebook for everyone's needs. Of course there will be concessions to be made but it will not be worse than if there were none.

It is rather, the insurance aspect that scares me a little because in my opinion, it is hard to gain recognition and that is why I came to you.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 16/08/10, 12:54

To my knowledge, with MAIF or FilaMAIF, there is no constraint on the driver.

It can be interesting to put several names on the registration card, for example registering someone who does not have a license first. Understand who can :-)
0 x
See you soon !
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/08/10, 14:46

: Cheesy: If you make a paper between you, stating that it is a "experience and that in these terms you all agree that the possible em .... dement will be purely secondary". So yes, you protect yourself against headaches and it can work! Moreover in case of problem it will be enough to take out the paper, in which you will have taken care to foresee all the situations which involve "the duration of the contract", until the elimination of the vehicle at the end of its life. It will therefore still be necessary to provide for a certain number of scenarios ...

Taking a "insurance" does not avoid certain dangers!
Starting with hidden faults ... Corrosion ... etc
The only point I see is that a car can constitute a "potential mortal danger" without our knowledge. And that in the case of a sharing of responsibilities it is necessary to exclude unintentional dramatic causes .... You should therefore be sure that vehicle condition would not constitute a danger by itself! All mechanics know this, it is in the legal regulations and therefore be careful with the fact that this heavy responsibility falls on the one who is in charge of the technical maintenance questions of the vehicle! You must also protect yourself against a potential danger coming from other co-owners of the vehicle but also from other road users ... If there is an accident and the vehicle is deemed "to be in order" according to the maintenance book. of the manufacturer and supporting invoices ... this will not cause you any problem, neither of conscience in the event of physical injury, nor legally: you will be covered! (It is thus necessary to be aware of the fact that the co-ownership is not necessarily a co-responsibility for the "non-mechanics" ... It is up to you all, to study and to put everything to work what is humanly - and especially legally - feasible to avoid getting into serious trouble without wanting to, when you thought you were "doing well").

For this it is in particular possible to pass on a voluntary basis, a technical visit of the vehicle every two years (maximum three years and of course as soon as it is put into service), with the necessary upgrade of the safety devices that go with it. ... (tires, brakes, steering, lighting etc ...)

[Edit:] In hidden faults, I sometimes saw some very curious ones that were only detected by technical control. Here, a play in the direction which was due to the fact that the bolts which held all the linkage, were completely corroded and puffed up by wear:

If they had not been changed, by bringing the vehicle up to standard and the geometry of the steering, a rupture would have followed with loss of control of the vehicle with a high chance of accident ... lets imagine the consequences, when this occurs "in traffic" ... This type of problem is much more frequent on old vehicles, used at low cost ...

And therefore above all plan for this in your budget. This is the most important amha. (The technical visits are compulsory according to the respective legislations ... but for a vehicle whose history is not well known, it is a precaution which is essential)
Last edited by Obamot the 16 / 08 / 10, 16: 30, 3 edited once.
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."