Small boats on the water: marine pollution?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
phil12
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Small boats on the water: marine pollution?

by phil12 » 29/05/10, 13:39

0 x
Sustainable energy consulting for construction
http://www.philippeservices.net/
Projéthée
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Projéthée » 29/05/10, 19:18

The type of information to circulate as widely as possible. I naively believed that these ships were using a diesel or other style fuel rather than an infamous refining residue (at the same time, I should have doubted it).
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 29/05/10, 19:53

If I summarize, the 15 largest container ship in the world pollutes more than the entire global fleet !!! : Shock:
it seems incredible (to check)!
Somehow it makes sense, super container ships are the very symbol of "free trade" and "globalization" ...

Nevertheless solutions exist:
1) protectionist measures (taxing what is virtuous and far to the benefit of production closer and more respectful).
2) From a purely technical point of view, the use of "turbo sails" could significantly reduce the consumption of its monsters ...
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/10, 20:47

Beware of amalgams, we talk about pollution and not consumption (CO2)!

I quote:

The transport boats use a low quality fuel which contains about 2'000 times more sulfur than the diesel used in European and American cars.

Some turn to heavy fuel oil, so necessarily sulfur and particle side ca balance ...

The explanation is in the article:

Europe has made many efforts to reduce sulfur and nitrogen emissions from its land transport. On the other hand, legislation on maritime transport is clearly inadequate.

Shipping is by far the most economical in energy / tonne.km transported ... the calculation has already been done in several subjects.

Now we are carrying more and more things, but that's another debate!
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 29/05/10, 21:11

http://caderange.canalblog.com/archives ... 36545.html

It was certain that the tankers were not going to throw this stew of sulfur syrup without profit and that there would be irresponsible force purchasable not to regulate to the height of the problem. It's not just a few dozen thousand dead who will be able to make the tankers and politicians attentive to the fate of the populations
:frown: :x : Cry: : Evil:

+ 1 Projetheus, it must be known !!! To limit these emissions would be a virtuous circle, fewer health problems, less acid rain, less (too) long distance trade because the price of this stew of sulfur syrup will inevitably end up increasing. :P
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 29/05/10, 21:33

Attention to amalgams, we speak well of pollution and not of consumption

Of course, Christophe, and still happy ...

Always is it, that this is unacceptable, especially as the more you go, the more super container doors are big (Emma Mærsk 397 m long !!!)
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 29/05/10, 22:47

Christophe wrote:Beware of amalgams, we talk about pollution and not consumption (CO2)!

Some turn to heavy fuel oil, so necessarily sulfur and particle side ca balance ...

Indeed specific consumption level, a ship engine is less than half of the average conso of a car engine ... (yield ~ 51%)

Ships, whether diesel or steam-powered, all run on heavy fuel, but there is heavy fuel and heavy fuel oil:
http://www.ufip.fr/?rubrique=1&ss_rubri ... 35&id=f_24
that's why they have fuel heaters to fluidify the fuel and a pneumatic injection ... and sometimes an injection of urea to absorb NOx ...
It should be noted that it is exactly the same for thermal power stations ...

To compare the pollution of cargo ships and cars does not mean anything, it would be better to compare the pollution emitted by the number of trucks needed to transport the same tonnage of goods over the same distances ...
In my opinion we would have surprises ... : Lol:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 29/05/10, 23:26

A cargo ship using the Magnus effect has recently been commissioned by German firm Enercon (which also manufactures the world's largest wind turbines):
http://www.enerzine.com/1036/5630+des-voiles-cylindriques-pour-propulser-un-cargo+.html

The device can significantly reduce the consumption (about 30%, to check).
0 x
phil12
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by phil12 » 30/05/10, 14:03

0 x
Sustainable energy consulting for construction
http://www.philippeservices.net/
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 30/05/10, 21:16

Thanks for the Phil12 links! , very informative, and especially very disturbing!

As usual, solutions exist, but they are dismissed for budgetary reasons ... : Evil:
0 x