A portable H2 generation system for all uses?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

A portable H2 generation system for all uses?

by Lietseu » 07/01/10, 19:17

It is done! Someone created this pretty crazy thing :D

(src: Horizon Fuel Cell)
CES 2010: The First Household Hydrogen Generator Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies will unveil this week at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, the first portable hydrogen generator for home use.

Nicknamed HydroFILL, the device plugs into an electrical outlet or even a solar panel, in order to extract the hydrogen contained in the integrated water tank. The hydrogen obtained is then stored in solid form in small refillable cartridges (HydroSTIK) and reusable at will.

The metal cartridge made of a specific metal alloy absorbs hydrogen through a crystalline structure. The storage technology is advertised as offering a very high energy density (15Wh of energy), even higher than hydrogen stored in its liquid form.

Once charged, the HydroSTIKs are removed from the HydroFILL and can then be inserted into another device equipped with a fuel cell. The stored hydrogen is released at low pressure, an option considered to be much safer.

CES 2010: the first domestic hydrogen generator

The HydroFILL consumes 60 Watts per hour to produce 10 liters (0,001 kg) of hydrogen. At the output, the MiniPaks generate 2.5W (5V, 400mA) of DC power.

The company says the wearable device is the first step towards powering a new generation of fuel cell electric vehicles, where hydrogen will supply all of the car's electrical needs.

and here is a link to the box that makes it: http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/index.htm

and to the object I'm talking about: http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/portable_power.htm

What do our in-house engineers think?

Meow...

:P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/10, 19:34

The disposable version for small mobile devices has been around for some time: https://www.econologie.com/shop/pile-a-c ... p-296.html

(I know I know it's not rechargeable so it's not very econological but hey ... we have to advance "Science"!)

Otherwise do you have any idea of ​​the prices? Because for methanol heat pumps for individuals they are still very high ...
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 07/01/10, 19:41

Very interesting!

The question that bothers me is consumption versus energy delivered?

I scanned the link quickly and couldn't find any data.
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/10, 19:47

Answer: necessarily less than a traditional lead-acid battery.

With the big ladle:

- Electrolyser efficiency = 0.6
- PAC efficiency = 0.6
Overall yield = 0.36

A lead-acid battery or another battery solution ca tates 80-90% ...

In short, the CAP in storage can be interesting but only for very specific cases ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 07/01/10, 19:48

Instead, calculate what it costs to get a new cylinder (or have it delivered)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/10, 19:49

elephant, must read: it electrolyses the water to recharge ... no?
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 07/01/10, 21:03

Well yes its recharging and takes 1 minute to fill the small cartridge which is refillable ad vitam ....

Nicknamed HydroFILL, the device plugs into an electrical outlet or even a solar panel, in order to extract the hydrogen contained in the integrated water tank. The hydrogen obtained is then stored in solid form in small refillable cartridges (HydroSTIK) and reusable at will.

The metal cartridge made of a specific metal alloy absorbs hydrogen through a crystalline structure. The storage technology is advertised as offering a very high energy density (15Wh of energy), even higher than hydrogen stored in its liquid form.

Meow :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 07/01/10, 21:35

Chrsitophe said:

elephant, must read: it electrolyses the water to recharge ... no?

Yes, it has nothing to do with my intervention: I wanted to emphasize that the energy cost of the search for a new cylinder was important, so long live this system. We have been doing the same thing in the medical field for oxygen for a long time.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be