Transforming your car into 4x4 Hybrid: a kit in the USA?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Former Oceano

Transforming your car into 4x4 Hybrid: a kit in the USA?

by Former Oceano » 03/07/09, 08:17

An American man develops with a company a kit allowing to transform any sedan into a hybrid vehicle with energy recovery thanks to 4 electric motors.
Incidentally the car is transformed into 4x4 because each wheel accommodates an electric motor.
The batteries would be placed in the trunk.
The price would be between $ 3000 and $ 5000

The link to Elektor's news:

http://www.elektor.fr/nouvelles/votre-a ... paign=news

This will allow those who care about their old and good tuture to develop it. Mine crossed 248248 km yesterday!
Skoda Félicia GLXi essence ... Good tuture to her papa it : Mrgreen: The energy necessary for its construction is well paid for ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/07/09, 09:49

The idea is good but it may pose a lot of problems ...

a) where will the batteries be? Even if it doesn't take a lot (buffer) you still need a few tens of kg ...

b) homologation? If such practices can pass to the USA, it is out of the question to be toleratedable in France I think ...
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 03/07/09, 10:04

and then no release for three years ... by then there will still be some petaudières ... but may be more choice in e-.
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 03/07/09, 11:58

The original link, in English.

And a copy of the Elektor article, for those who do not subscribe to their newsletter:
Your self transformed into 4x4 hybrid
Release Date: 2 July 2009

We welcome here the announcement of a hybridization kit for a thermal engine vehicle, composed of 4 electric motors (10 to 15 PS), a control circuit and batteries. We are still only at the idea stage, possibly pre-prototypes, but all this goes so against the usual perception of hybrid vehicles as sophisticated machines, out of reach of ordinary people, that a short break is essential.
In a previous life, Charles Perry designed products for IBM. It has just won a competition for renewable energy launched by the Tennessee Technology Development Corp. When available, the hybridization kit will be marketed by Palmer Labs LLC.

What is incredible in this project is that it concerns ordinary automobiles, simple cars like yours or mine, which he would transform without much complication into hybrid vehicles. The intervention is surprisingly light. When you have reached the end of this reading, you will not know much more, because to date little information has filtered on this project, but you will undoubtedly ask like us: "what had I not thought of it earlier ? "

According to Perry, it suffices to mount an electric motor on each wheel in the space between the brake and the hub. There is nothing else to change. When braking, these motors would even be able to store kinetic energy to restore it in the form of electricity. The batteries can be housed in the trunk.
The Tennessee Technological University provides the inventor with the budget of $ 100.000 to relay a prototype from an existing vehicle and then to repeat the experience on 30 other current sedans. If all goes according to plan, the first kits would be available in about three years (the price range is estimated between $ 3.000 and $ 5.000. This new activity would create some 2.000 jobs immediately.
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."