Cycling in Paris and Velib = DANGER?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Cycling in Paris and Velib = DANGER?

by martien007 » 23/06/08, 23:40

Third fatal accident at Velib 'in Paris

AP - Monday June 23, 19:42 p.m. PARIS -

A woman who was traveling in Velib 'was killed Monday morning by a truck in the 2007th arrondissement of Paris, we learned from the police headquarters. It is the third death of a Velib 'user, since the self-service bicycle rental system was set up in the capital in mid-July XNUMX.

The victim was struck by a heavy vehicle shortly before 11am on the Quai Saint-Michel, according to the prefecture, which specifies that an investigation is underway into this accident.

This is the third death of a cyclist since the start of the year in Paris. Since last year, the Paris police headquarters has noted a strong increase in bicycle traffic in the capital (+ 70% in the last quarter of 2007 compared to the same quarter of 2006), but also a resurgence of accidents.

In 2007, nearly 700 cyclists were victims of accidents (+ 37% compared to 2006. Five cyclists were killed (compared to 2 in 2006). Since the beginning of the year, three cyclists have been killed.

Of the ten cyclists killed since 2006, seven have been killed by large-scale vehicles, underlines Roland Maucourant, general controller at the prefecture and road safety project manager, who calls cyclists to be vigilant, particularly vis-à-vis trucks and buses.

He thus warns cyclists against "uncivil behavior" which puts them in "great danger". In particular, they must refrain from sudden changes of direction and avoid being in the "blind spot" of a heavy goods vehicle, an area in which the driver cannot see the cyclist, he recalls.

Cyclists "must not set in motion near a heavy goods vehicle or a bus". In general, they must "obey the highway code and watch out for the mistakes of others," he told The Associated Press, noting that cyclists are only responsible for 40% of accidents, but that they are particularly vulnerable.

The police prefecture is currently trying to reinforce the signaling of bus lanes prohibited for bicycles but also the verbalization of cyclists' offenses (burned out red lights, traffic in prohibited directions ...). AP
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 24/06/08, 09:13

On the other hand, the more bikes that are going to ride, the more accidents there will be, it seems a little logical.

By cons the advice to pay attention to faults of other vehicles, it is also valid for motorists :D because there are people on the road we really wonder how they got the permit. :x
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/06/08, 10:04

Now i refuse to read any road safety study whose unit is not reported to the km.passenger

Without this unity, it is politico-economic intoxication ... in other words: pipo.

Martian, so I allowed myself to replace the! of your title with a?

I hope it does not bother you...

Another related subject, the dead of pollution, automobile in particular: https://www.econologie.com/forums/les-morts- ... t1901.html

ps: do not prevent 10 cyclists killed in Paris since 2006 it does not seem to me bcp ... but as long as it is not reported to the km covered I will be careful of any analysis.
Last edited by Christophe the 24 / 06 / 08, 10: 08, 1 edited once.
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 24/06/08, 10:08

Christophe wrote:Now i refuse to read any road safety study whose unit is not reported to the km.passenger

Without this unity, it is politico-economic intoxication ... in other words: pipo.

but it is clear, we no longer have the impression that it is made to scare people, this is not how the vélibs will improve their popularity.

Besides, does this stuff work?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/06/08, 10:10

It works? I don't really know ... It rolls rather right? : Mrgreen:

You mean: economically? Yes I think it's not too bad even if the initial investments were substantial. It is a well known advertiser who manages the system.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 24/06/08, 10:19

I confirm that riding a bike in Paris is dangerous ... or at least was dangerous when I left Paris at the end of 1995 (remember, the monstrous strikes?)

I banged the Vanves / Chatillon gate trip back and forth every day to go to work.

: Arrow: So, we first have the notorious incivilities probably due to the nervousness of the drivers stuck in traffic jams: style, I'm stuck in traffic jams, I see in my retro a cyclist who goes up all the cars between the queue of parked vehicles and those in the traffic jam: I put a steering wheel to the right to block it against parked cars.
And it is not science fiction, I was so victim of that, that I found a radical solution: driving with a bunch of keys in the right hand. When we start to see this kind of thing, we show the keychain and the guy immediately ranks for fear of being scratched the body.

: Arrow: Then there is the standard "I don't look in my retro before changing direction".
I made my front wheel square like that, I made a flight of 3m and almost fell back on a grandma because a moron turned left without flashing while I was overtaking it.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 24/06/08, 10:20

yes of course I was talking economically : Cheesy:

for the initial prices I had already seen a report on it just before they put the system into operation and the price of a bike is huge (I no longer have the price order in mind however, I ask if it was not in the 1000 €, correct me if someone knows) compared to a more than average quality bike that you can buy for 300/400 €.

edit: my message answered of course to Christophe's message just above but that of Targol slipped between the two :D
Last edited by Matt113 the 24 / 06 / 08, 10: 36, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/06/08, 10:33

Targol wrote:I put a steering wheel to the right to block it against parked cars.

: Shock: I knew this on a motorbike, 2 or 3 retros spurts with a good punch / batten :)

Targol wrote:When we start to see this kind of thing, we show the keychain and the guy immediately ranks for fear of being scratched the body.

Ah ah ah excellent !! Pkoi show the keychain? How many of the big idiots have you crossed out?

Targol wrote:: arrow: Then there is the standard "I don't look in my retro before changing direction".

Well you were lucky not to be hurt more, otherwise there is the most classic but which always works "door opening and boom in your mouth" ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 24/06/08, 10:44

Christophe wrote:
Targol wrote:When we start to see this kind of thing, we show the keychain and the guy immediately ranks for fear of being scratched the body.

Ah ah ah excellent !! Pkoi show the keychain? How many of the big idiots have you crossed out?

It's like the nuclear strike force :? , the deterrent effect has always been enough
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/06/08, 10:49

Ah ... you're more peaceful than me then ... : Mrgreen:
0 x