The EGR valve operation and explanations

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

The EGR valve operation and explanations

by Christophe » 20/08/07, 18:32

I know if I posted this article somewhere but I presents the still since we have again raised this famous valve in another subject.

The EGR valve for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" be re-circulation of exhaust gas has been placed on the exhaust line to combat poor performance in terms of pollution. The major manufacturers have adopted since 1993 on petrol and diesel engines to meet European emission standards. This perfectly anti-mechanical principle is to recirculate in a diesel engine of the gases loaded with soot and NOx.

This surprising yourself from engineers engine has the advantage of very cheap cost to the design.
This is more true when one becomes user, when the EGR valve is completely fouled it more correctly its use. Soot cooling foul the intake system, and especially the valve that then prevents normal breathing of the engine. He naturally loses its power and thus its good performance. The engine clogs up breaking down.
On current vehicles to central electronic control, when the lights come on, the damage is done and the evil malfunctions are very difficult to diagnose.

How does it work?

The diesel engine works in excess air, so much in the presence of oxygen, which automatically results in high nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, the pollutant from diesel by its particles. By the EGR valve entering the intake of exhaust gas poor in oxygen, reducing the amount available in the cylinder and reducing the amount of NOx. As it should run as intermediate systems and cycles, it is controlled by a computer. It hangs generally open, and the excess of recirculated exhaust gas leads to poor combustion in the cylinders (stuffiness) increase soot, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons and possible degradation of the pot of oxidation.
2002 before the valve controls were tires since they are electric.

The first did not send any information to the dashboard, the second alert management in general lighting a lamp on the dashboard. Unfortunately it is only when the flow meter, which measures the amount and quality of the air passage detects the anomaly that the witness table lights and copying the information management often the engine is then in degraded mode. Since the user does not know the procedure, he panics because he was still in the process of doubling a truck! ! !
Many technical solutions exist to clean the circuits and restore the vehicle to its previous state, this will not be our problem when considering that the goal will be to devise amicable or contentious way the manufacturer that the vehicle has a hidden defect, which may be appointed by a court "hidden defect within the meaning of Article 1641 and following of the civil code"

Jean Claude M.

The big problems of the EGR valve is that it is necessary to reduce NOx. It is the only current way to reduce these emissions on diesel engine (except for a NOx trap or SCR).

On the other hand, the more EGR you put, the more particles you make (this is the famous "NOx / Particles compromise" which makes all engine manufacturers have nightmares) ...

And here is an article on the EGR valve "scandal", published in Auto-Moto in September 2005:

Article to download in .pdf here: https://www.econologie.com/telechargeme ... r-article/
Last edited by Christophe the 18 / 05 / 11, 20: 11, 6 edited once.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 20/08/07, 19:41

Bonjour à tous

The accumulation of soot and other oils lifts ends up making a huge black and oily mush that sticks and clogs the intake pipe. I managed to get a volume of about 150 to 200cm3 this filth of an old Mégane (with a teaspoon extended)

To remove the left is the cross and Bagnère. After x washes with gasoline, gas oil, hot water and detergent and a whole night in paint thinner he was still ... : Mrgreen:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 21/08/07, 00:16

Still EGR THAT COMES ON THE CARPET .............

When I mentioned I am copiously burned by Woodcutter among others.

On my son's 1,9D Jumpy, I neutralized this shit with the help of a convinced and knowledgeable mechanic. It is now OFF because the command is neutralized (no electronic piloting because <2002).

A 60000 kms he had his clogged catalytic converter and changed without warranty while he was entitled to a one-year warranty Citroën (denied because wearing part !!!).

To clean the soot stuck well is infernal because very hard to find a more effective and if one puts on hands is very aggressive solvents to the skin.

Thank you gentlemen engineers "submissive" for this wonderful invention of m ......

Since it rolls quietly hoping that his new catalytic converter does not clog in 60000 kms, but I am convinced that this is related to the malfunction of the valve.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 21/08/07, 05:03

Hello
To remove the left is the cross and Bagnère. After x washes with gasoline, gas oil, hot water and detergent and a whole night in paint thinner he was still ...

The product to clean the tubing is of GUNS
obviously it must dismantle the soak a 24 h in this liquid, then move to the jet of hot water at high pressure.

the other more drastic method is to pass sandblasted
still a great cleaning to remove all the abrasive grains
doubling the tubes become dirty because the crankcase oil vapors are fed into the inlet.

On engines Piston aircraft is forbidden to return the oil vapors in the engine, the ERG valve inconu on these engines ..

Andre
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 21/08/07, 08:29

Hello everybody
This topic regarding malfunctions of the famous EGR valves come in handy for me today because our vehicle there is one (it dates from December 1999) and a few days ago there was a strong smell of burning in the cabin without one have Inrush ventilation or heating, I lifted the bonnet and I found that the stainless steel tube that feeds the valve was turned blue! it was hugely heated and braided sleeve around the pipe that protects other heat bodies had holes! cramée in the curvatures! the engine has clearly not lost in this performance but overheating is worrying all the same!
then what? : Cry:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/08/07, 10:38

jonule wrote:PS: "we say" that to run in oil that would cool the combustion and would be harmful?

It's just ... but also its surencrassement that will cause problems ... Note EGR valve 100% clogged valve is a neutralized : Cheesy:

And on your page, there is the famous Article I scanned that there is a moment which I could put more hands on !!

I can put it on the forums? Do you know where it comes from? Seems to me that it was the New Factory but not on ...

ps: for thy against:

Anyway, the Nox are not counted when CT

This is not really an argument econological ... :?
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 21/08/07, 11:32

A2E wrote:Hello everybody
This topic regarding malfunctions of the famous EGR valves come in handy for me today because our vehicle there is one (it dates from December 1999) and a few days ago there was a strong smell of burning in the cabin without one have Inrush ventilation or heating, I lifted the bonnet and I found that the stainless steel tube that feeds the valve was turned blue! it was hugely heated and braided sleeve around the pipe that protects other heat bodies had holes! cramée in the curvatures! the engine has clearly not lost in this performance but overheating is worrying all the same!
then what? : Cry:

I think the tubing and / or pots of the exhaust system are spirited to butcher and there is a maximum exhaust flowing through the EGR return.

Jumpy on my son, it became all blue (and still is) when the catalyt pot was plugged.

That's my opinion, but I would like to know the exact cause when the diagnosis has been made by a mechanic.

André ==>

Thank you for the product name (GUNS) but I do not know if it exists in France ....
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/08/07, 11:34

You got a A2E FAP?

If so, it should be regenerated by driving at a "sustained" load for a few km ...

Finally regenerate is a big word ... Reality is the "empty" (watch out for your pursuers ... they will be black ....)
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 21/08/07, 11:39

Christophe wrote:

And on your page, there is the famous Article I scanned that there is a moment which I could put more hands on !!

Article very well on just EGR Auto-Plus on 2 pages. I have at home: this is where I discovered the scam when my son bought his diesel Jumpy, which made me interested to diesel (EGR valve, particles and Co.).

It is you who scanned these pages 2 I think it dates from September 2005 about because Jumpy bought in August 2005.
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 22/08/07, 08:34

Christophe wrote:You got a A2E FAP?

If so, it should be regenerated by driving at a "sustained" load for a few km ...

Finally regenerate is a big word ... Reality is the "empty" (watch out for your pursuers ... they will be black ....)

Well I do not know completely !!!
I will check with my concess. for more ... : Shock: : Lol:

Meanwhile I searched retard the famous FAP and I perceive that there were many problems with it! here's an excerpt on this link:

http://www.automag.be/article.php3?id_article=200
0 x