Nokian WeatherProof "strange" asymmetric wear after 25 km (camber?) ...

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Nokian WeatherProof "strange" asymmetric wear after 25 km (camber?) ...

by Christophe » 19/06/19, 23:13

End 2017, so there is not even 2 years, I mounted 2 Nokian WeatherProof after a small study presented here: nouveaux-transports/montage-2-pneus-4-saisons-goodyear-vector-4-seasons-g2-avec-2-pneus-ete-t15410.html

It was the 4 seasons tires that were rated 1 number in 2017 ... here is their 18 status months later ...

The 2 are on tractive front axle and 25 000 km later, the 2 tires are severely worn and left more than right ... and what surprises me is the asymmetry of wear on the same tire, see instead: the inside of the tire is completely HS but the 1 / 2 inner part is less worn than the outer one! Not very logical so ... if?

Left tire:

20190619_155208.jpg

20190619_155224.jpg

20190619_155228.jpg

20190619_155306.jpg

Ok I certainly have a geometry problem but this "- + -" type wear seems rather strange to me, doesn't it?

The right tire has the same strong wear inside the tire but is much less worn than the left and does not present asymmetrical wear on every 1 / 2 tire.

Tire right:

20190619_155322.jpg

At the moment I see only a problem of different rubber quality between 2 tires to explain this? The adjustment of the geometry will reduce the wear inside the tires but does not explain the strange wear of the left tire ...

The tires had been bought on the internet ... can be easier to resell counterfeits? : Mrgreen:

Normally I keep 40 km tires because of my "cool" riding style (I have already done 000 with rear tires on Twingo), it was my first 120 seasons. The experience is therefore mixed ... on this model at least.

I'll do a geometry adjustment and replace them with Michelin Crossclimate, just to compare ... not so much more expensive than the Nokian ...

I have a little balls anyway because there was a lot of material on the tread of the right tire (in fact I have left 3 * 1 / 2 treads : Cheesy: ). Without this problem of geo I will probably have reached the 35 000 km.

The heat waves of the last 18 months have probably not helped the non-wear of this type of rubber.

Another assumption: the left tire is oriented OUEST so it takes all the sun in the afternoon ... This could explain its premature wear ?? Ok ... but I specify it anyway ...

ps: the pressures are checked regularly, every month or 2 month about ... and always when I make a long trip ...
0 x
Christophe

Re: Nokian WeatherProof "strange" asymmetric wear after 25 km (camber?) ...

by Christophe » 20/06/19, 12:07

I found this: http://elanpneu.e-monsite.com/blog/pour ... pneus.html

wear-des-pneus.jpg
tire-wear.jpg (151.14 KIO) Viewed 3767 times

Obviously I managed to make a "mix" of these 4 cases! : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."