Less fly

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Less fly

by moinsdewatt » 17/06/19, 00:34

Stop the plane? The RyanAir generation tells us its dilemma
They have known the years when we discovered that we could take a plane at a low price. Now is the time to become aware of the carbon footprint that this mode of transport generates.

By Sandra Lorenzo 8 June 2019 huffingtonpost

Beginning of the 2000 decade, EasyJet and RyanAir arrive in France and offer plane tickets at prices never seen. The plane becomes accessible and often cheaper than the train. Tickets are bought without asking too much questions, travel, thought according to the airports served by these low-cost airlines.

Twenty years later, the price of airline tickets is still low and new lines are opening regularly. The number of flights in Europe in 2014 was about 80% higher than in 1990 according to the European Environment Agency. Taking average occupancy rates, the European Environment Agency reports an emission rate of 14 grams of CO2 per passenger per kilometer for the train (with 156 passengers in) against 104 grams for the car (with Passenger 1,5) and 285 grams for the plane (with 88 passengers).

Another development is that the general public is no longer ignorant of the environmental cost of this mode of transport. The Swedes even invented a name for the shame of flying for environmental reasons, the "flygskam". The question now arises much more precisely in environmental consciousness: and if it was simply necessary to stop taking the plane?

https://m.huffingtonpost.fr/entry/arret ... d_articles
0 x
Christophe

Re: Less flight

by Christophe » 17/06/19, 12:41

Yes, but there is worse!

I calculated a few days ago that a thermal paramotor (single-seater and take-off) was not far from 300 gr CO2 per km ... it's more than most cars (5 potential places) that are currently running on the roads of France ...

Calculation assumptions: 5 L / h at 40 km / h soil and 2,3 kg CO2 / L of gasoline burned.
So we have 5 * 2,3 / 40 = 0,29 kg CO2 / km

I neglect the CO2 of 2 oil time.

A paramotor therefore pollutes a lot more than a car and a motorcycle .... and a plane

Fortunately it is a hobby and not a means of transport ....so we can pollute if it's for fun

The excuse is exactly the same when we consume "for pleasure because we are entitled to it because we shit working for": leisure, vacations, unnecessary technological upgrades, compulsive purchases, ego purchases for to impress the neighbor or the friends ... etc etc ... : Cheesy:

But all these purchases, contrary to the equipment of RE, are NEVER the object of calculations of profitability of energy or carbon ... : Idea: : Idea: : Idea:

ps: I think that the figure of the train 14 g / km is largely underestimated, valid maybe in France but certainly not in Germany (50% of coal), we had talked about it a long time ago when the SNCF had left its eco comparator (+ or - can)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/06/19, 16:50

This is a question that I sometimes ask myself, in fact ...

Do I have to go to Nantes and Toulouse on a low-cost plane to talk about my garden ???

May I, next winter, isolate myself on an island in the sun to work in peace with my new book ???

I think it's not reasonable to focus on one thing, the trip ...

We need a calculator, including embodied energy, of our overall consumption. 12 years ago, I replaced the oil boiler with a pellet boiler. This "compensates" for how many trips ??? I produce a significant portion of vegetables, which do not have a negative C balance (just a few liters of fuel to produce the hay and deliver it to me) ... What credit ??? Etc ...

That said, these campaigns, in response to real abuse, and mass tourism that has many other disadvantages, pose at least a good question ...

When we see the order books of Airbus and Boeing, with tens of thousands of aircraft on order, which we know are machines that fly constantly (unlike our cars), and that they are designed to last several tens of years, we wonder where we go!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/06/19, 20:41

The last video of Guillaume Meurice is pil in line with this thread:
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 02/11/20, 23:29

Covid19 took care of it.

Pinned to the ground by the Covid-19, the aviation sector could already have exceeded the "peak plane", the maximum peak of flights
Company bankruptcies, planes on the ground, plummeting traffic ... The aviation sector has been hit hard by the Covid-19. If professionals hope for a return to normal in 2023, some wonder if the "peak plane", the moment when air traffic has reached its peak, has not already passed. Not to mention that the pressure on the sector, linked in particular to its environmental impact, is working in this direction.

https://www.novethic.fr/actualite/econo ... 49110.html
the question will become who will fall first?
and how many will remain standing?
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/11/20, 23:51

Interesting I thought that Chinese traffic had resumed more than that (in domestic flights it is back to normal) ... but suddenly how is it calculated internationally by country? departures or arrivals? or is it half with the other country? : Cheesy:
0 x