Frosted windshield INSIDE in winter?!? Which solution?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Frosted windshield INSIDE in winter?!? Which solution?

by Christophe » 15/02/19, 09:12

Since this winter, per night of freezing (the cold is not excessive: -2 to -6 ° C), I systematically found that I had some frost inside the windshield and the rear window of my car (but nothing on the side windows ???) ...

It is very painful to scratch given the curvature of the windshield and the impossibility of using de-icing products or hot water. The layer is happier than outside, but it looks harder and smoother.

I have this car since 2 winters and I do not think she was doing that to me last year? I also did not see the phenomenon on my previous car (not many I have had 2 others in my life ...)

Someone would have a solution against this?

I have 2 humidity sensor "cushions" (to be regenerated by drying in the heat regularly) in the car but that does not change anything. With or without these cushions it's the same.

I rarely use air conditioning (which dries air) but ventilation is still active set to 20-22 ° C ...

I have, a priori, nothing stored in the car that could create a source of moisture?

In short I paddle ... finally I scratch! :?: :?: :?:
0 x
Remundo

Re: Frosted windshield INSIDE in winter?!? Which solution?

by Remundo » 15/02/19, 09:41

I have exactly the same problem with my GTE85 +

the air is very humid, and during the night, it frosts inside the vehicle ...

there are not so many solutions ...

in the morning I defrost with bottles of warm water outside, inside I put the demisting, after a few minutes it's good.

but the air stays wet anyway, it's winter.

to go very quickly, I take a wet towel in hot water and I rub the inside of the windshield.
1 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 15/02/19, 09:48

I want the right solution: the garage! : Cheesy: current cars are no longer designed to evacuate the moist air produced by breathing and so it stagnates. One solution is to half open a heated rear window for a few moments and have a permanent dehumidifier (to be emptied regularly)
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/02/19, 10:23

Remundo wrote:I have exactly the same problem with my GTE85 +

the air is very humid, and during the night, it frosts inside the vehicle ...

(...)

to go very quickly, I take a wet towel in hot water and I rub the inside of the windshield.

Well, I'm not the only one ... : Cheesy:

Yes the hot wet towel I tested, it works: the problem is that it leaves a lot of traces inside and it drips quickly on the dashboard if you want to be fast ...

And if we left one (or 2) window (s) between open (s)? Maybe it would limit the humidity inside? Since the coldest nights are the driest nights (clear skies, Mollier ...) ... but the trouble is that the evening dew will increase this humidity! Well I will test anyway to see :)

Still, I wonder why I have not seen this phenomenon before? This is 20 years that I drive in regions with harsh winters.

Would cars be more and more watertight? I ride with a car 2005 right now ... so not ultra modern (your GTE is more) ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/02/19, 10:30

Janic wrote:I want the right solution: the garage! : Cheesy:

Yes, of course ... but there are only the rich non-DIYers who can have a garage dedicated to their car! I am handyman and poor ... in other words: the garage is filled by my tools of DIY (and other projects various and varied)

Janic wrote:current cars are no longer designed to evacuate the moist air produced by breathing and so it stagnates. One solution is to half open a heated rear window for a few moments and have a permanent dehumidifier (to be emptied regularly)

So you think they're getting more and more waterproof too?

I'm not sure that leaving the window open a few minutes before the stop of the car is enough ...
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 15/02/19, 10:50

So you think they're getting more and more waterproof too?
I worked in a car study office and some, not all, were studied with a stale exhaust air system and therefore wet in the winter. The disadvantage was, indeed, that when stopped nothing prevented the moisture from re-penetrate through these openings, as well as the ventilation of the passenger compartment. In addition exhaust noise and gases could enter the cabin.
I'm not sure that leaving the window open a few minutes before the stop of the car is enough ...
That's just a bad thing, not a miracle solution, if only because this air comes also from the outside, which can also be saturated with moisture and the cabin filters are not designed for that. On the other hand a dehumidifier can help in case of high saturation air (it depends on the regions)
1 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/02/19, 10:59

Ok Janic. Given the complexity of the ventilation + air conditioning systems, I thought that evacuation was systematically designed on new cars. Valves that close when stopped could have limited re-entry when the car does not roll. This is the case, I think, on the air arrivals saw some noises we hear in the minutes after the stop. Am I wrong?

If not yes the dehumidifier solution would work ... but at what cost (energy or chemical) or what constraints?

Here is one of the 2 dehumidifying cushions that I mentioned above. It is, I think, simply filled with silicate as it is in many carton of new products, it is sold 3 € at Action ... As said above: I have 2, 1 on the board of board, one on the chest board. They were dried last week on the woodstove.

20190215_104500.jpg
20190215_104500.jpg (175.95 KB) Viewed times 10247

And here are 2 photos taken at the moment (10h40) which illustrate very well the moisture remanence in the cabin !! All the traces we see are inside!

20190215_104126.jpg
20190215_104126.jpg (191.05 KB) Viewed times 10247

20190215_104205.jpg
20190215_104205.jpg (225.66 KB) Viewed times 10247

I made about 15 km this morning at 8h30, ventilation on.

It is super nice and the car is facing south (windshield facing north) ...

The rear window is very dry when shooting these 2 photos.

I opened the windows before ...

Janic wrote:On the other hand a dehumidifier can help in case of high saturation air (it depends on the regions)

Air conditioning dries the air ... so to avoid this thing, should the air conditioning thoroughly in winter? : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 19/02/19, 22:37

Mrs. covers her car every night: big old sheet on the windshield and stuck in the front doors

I put the car on with defrosting and heating a little while before leaving.

But I do not know if it would be appropriate in very very wet weather ....
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 20/02/19, 00:12

Have to install windshield wipers inside, or avoid doing BBBBRRR! , the sound of the engine with the mouth, because it spits !!!

No, I'm not : Mrgreen: ... I knew this when the car was sleeping outside and it was necessary to waste time de-icing before going to work ... Everyone his turn :) : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/02/19, 10:25

nico239 wrote:Mrs. covers her car every night: big old sheet on the windshield and stuck in the front doors

I put the car on with defrosting and heating a little while before leaving.

But I do not know if it would be appropriate in very very wet weather ....

The cover will not prevent frost inside ...

In terms of preheating the car, given the amount of gel inside (layer of 2 mm?) That I have known, 'it is necessary to count 30-45 minutes of preheating (a diesel engine hardly heats up at idle!) . A gasoline engine heats up faster.
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."