Reviews of the Citroen AX diesel?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Reviews of the Citroen AX diesel?

by ggdorm » 02/10/13, 20:52

Hi everybody,

I know it's a bit off-topic but for having traveled the forum, I know some of you have owned or worked on a Citroen Ax diesel.

I am currently analyzing this car which looks very attractive to me on many points: low budget, low consumption (some reach 3L / 100 consumption), possibility of doing all the maintenance yourself easily and low taxes. In short, it seems to me to be the ideal first car for a young person entering the workforce. I drive 30 km / year mainly on motorways.

I found a used car about 1991 km from my home. It is an Ax from 1.4 that the owner repaired for his nephew. Unfortunately, they lost contact and he ends up with the car on his arms. She passed the CT and has only one remark: corrosion on a brake hose. Originally, it was equipped with the famous 1.5 really unreliable but the mechanics was replaced by a 1999 saxo engine (2) which appeared on phase 200. Visually, there is little difference between the two engines ( position of an air box) and the difference in power is negligible. The car at 000 but the engine + gearbox and mechanics come from a 120 km sax. It has new tires, new clutch and new distribution. He sells it with rims + tires, and body parts. Price: 000 euro.
What do you think? It would also serve as a test base for various things that have been bothering me for some time.
In the photos, the stains on the bodywork are in fact reflections of the sky and the surroundings.
The thank you box

Jérôme

0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 02/10/13, 21:25

Hello,

I had an AX Diesel which I bought from my former Parisian employer before being transferred to Strasbourg. It is a very nice car, which in fact consumes little, even if I have never made less than 4 l / 100.

The low consumption is not due to advanced technology, but to a low weight. This car costs very little to maintain, parts, tires and the like are inexpensive.

The quality of plastics and interior fabrics is quite poor, but for the rest it is carefree.

As for changing the engine type, it's prohibited in Switzerland, but I don't know about Belgium ...
A+
0 x
Arnaud M
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Arnaud M » 02/10/13, 21:25

Of this car I would say only good but we are not on a forum citroën AX (there are several), I would rather ask the question on a forum done for that. [/ quote]
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 02/10/13, 21:40

Thank you for your answers.
Indeed, it is not a forum Citroën but I know the great responsiveness of the members of econology and I think that if I buy this AX, given its low cost, I will make some modifications on it that I will share with you to discuss it.

The modification is also not authorized in Belgium but several people have already made it. Apparently, hood open, we don't know if it's 1.4 or 1.5 D ... The car goes to CT in this configuration. It was not to gain power but reliability that the modification was made since the 1.5 makes 58 hp and the 1.4 makes 53 hp at the same speed. Now in the event of an accident, I don't know how far the expert will go in his research ...
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 02/10/13, 21:43

Thank you for your answers.
Indeed, it is not a forum Citroën but I know the great responsiveness of the members of econology and I think that if I buy this AX, given its low cost, I will make some modifications on it that I will share with you to discuss it.

The modification is also not authorized in Belgium but several people have already made it. Apparently, hood open, we don't know if it's 1.4 or 1.5 D ... The car goes to CT in this configuration. It was not to gain power but reliability that the modification was made since the 1.5 makes 58 hp and the 1.4 makes 53 hp at the same speed. Now in the event of an accident, I don't know how far the expert will go in his research ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 02/10/13, 23:40

The AXs are eco-friendly cars par excellence. : Mrgreen:

As Arnaud said, whether diesel or electric.
The petrol models that I have had the opportunity to examine have disappointed me a little by the many oil leaks that occur over time ...

These vehicles have the defects of their qualities. They are light and economical but in return, the running gear is fragile (suspension wishbones, ball joints ...) and the vehicle is poorly soundproofed, therefore tiring on long journeys.
They must therefore be treated with delicacy.

Many vehicles would die from overheating or from the cylinder head gasket. Most of the time due to the failure of the calorstat which must be replaced approximately every 10 years (15 €).

The timing belt must also be replaced every 5 years or at the prescribed mileage (first term expired).

For having recently tried the "stop & start driving" (which you know for having experienced it too, it seems to me) while driving on a diesel ZX, I think that the AX is even better suited to this because it lacks power steering. With this strategy, consuming 3 liters per 100km is possible ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/10/13, 07:43

I also had one for a few years:

a) I wouldn't say "eco-friendly", but one of the "least worst cars of its time"

Diesel is still polluting and a little more greedy than announced in the manufacturers' sheets (but frugal, it is true). And quite fragile (the cylinder head gasket let me go, in fact, and it was scrapped at around 250 km).

b) slight effect; but it's better not to get caught up in it; you have the impression, between two heavyweights of being a sardine in its box ...

c) Some weaknesses moreover: I had the rear wheels which were blocked while rolling (at low speed): the ferrodo detached from the jaw and got stuck ...

In short, at the time, a superb car, with an excellent "capacity / consumption" ratio due to its shape and weight ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 03/10/13, 08:19

: Arrowu: I was surprised that you have not yet testified.
It was always the thinking of the mechanics: "these small engines are fragile"
Well, 250.000 km are certainly not the limit.

In fact it is the failure of the calorstat (at 15 €) that must be replaced at the slightest sign of heating or preventively after 10 years.
I guess it was about the age of your car (25.000 km / year).

It is once again the incompetent mechanics who are to blame and not a supposed "fragility" of the engines ...

The brake linings that come off become extremely rare and are also to be put on a sloppy maintenance ... (the rear brakes should be opened approximately every 50.000km for dusting, which would allow to see this kind of anomaly before the breakdown) .

On my 106 electric, it is the wheel cylinders which start to leak after 10 years due to lack of maintenance (bleeding the brake circuit is recommended every 2 years), and very low use of brakes. I believe that electric AXs suffer from the same ills. A leak in the wheel cylinder permeates the linings which can easily come off (they are cut flush with the mounting adhesive).
:?

By the way, these "fragile" engines were mounted on planes, further proof, if any of their solidity.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/10/13, 12:26

If the motor of this ax comes from a sax it is the 1.5D and that is reliable. On the airplane model it is the 1.4 it is very different because it is all in aluminum cylinder head and jacketed block, the 1.5 has a bored cast iron block.

As for the rest, the AX is really small manufacturing ...

If it is equipped with a bosch injection pump ... It is very easy to use this ax ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 03/10/13, 13:04

The AX is indeed equipped with an engine coming from a 1999 sax. I know where you are coming from Macro, I also thought of running it with vegetable oil if I bought it.
I also just checked on the net and apparently the saxo motors are equipped with a Bosch pump.
Regarding the vehicle itself, what do you think of the condition and the price?
0 x