Lybra: energy donkey recovered

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Lybra: energy donkey recovered

by Christophe » 04/03/13, 11:24

A donkey to generate electricity

An Italian start-up has imagined a device capable of converting mechanical energy produced by the passage of cars on a donkey into electricity. In Europe there would be a market of 21 billion euros for this type of technology.

For the moment this device is not yet developed and would not withstand the continuous passage of vehicles if it were installed on a road. It is expected, however, that if this system were put in place, for example, on a portion of the Milan peripheral ring road, where 400 cars pass every day, it could generate 6 million kWh each year, or 650.000 euros of electricity, and would prevent the emission of 120 tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

This donkey, baptized Lybra, ie balance in Latin, measures 12 cm in height, and was developed by a team from the Italian company Underground Power. A single device costs 7.000 euros, but to equip an entire portion of the road comprising a dozen of these speed bumps would require investing around 100.000 euros. This investment would pay off after 6 years.

As Andrea Prisi, from Underground Power, explains, the idea was born from a doctoral project on which he had worked since 2008 at the Politecnico di Milano: "after my diploma, I started a doctorate within a project that aimed to manage the coral reef. The parameters necessary for its study were recorded by buoys powered by solar energy. This not being sufficient, we sought to use the energy produced by the pendulum motion of the buoys due to the waves. We wanted to develop this technology to supply cities with electricity but the company to which we presented our project, Sofina Venture, was not interested. So, we developed another project to create these speed bumps".

"In 2010 we won two business plan competitions organized by the provinces of Trento and Monza, and we thus raised 60.000 euros to finance the project. We were also helped by the Mind the Bridge program".
"We have 6 customers interested in our technology, but we asked them to wait for the pilot test." This test will take place in June at the Milan headquarters of a large multinational company. "We have opened the company to the participation of private investors and we are moving towards new capital of 300.000 euros".
"We plan to build around ten systems by the end of the year, and by 2015 we plan to invest up to 18 million euros. We plan to open an office in London in September, then in the USA in 2014 ".

Although there are "6 other companies in the world, in Israel, the USA, Canada and France", which are developing similar activities, "none are ready for the market yet and none have developed a device that can be put directly on the road and have on the contrary buried systems ". "This system is not designed for the motorway because it would not support such traffic".

Source: http://www.bulletins-electroniques.com/ ... /72416.htm

Let me remain very skeptical ... :|

In the same family for trains: https://www.econologie.com/forums/recuperati ... 12171.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/03/13, 13:44

and she is running on energy? it will slow the car down ... finally since the purpose of speed bumps is to slow down

if this donkey hoist is really effective there are some who will accelerate a good blow so as not to be too slow ... and the day when this retarder is broken it will end up in excessive speed and cause an accident!

why save energy on the back of motorists? in France we do better we take their money directly with the automatic radar! the yield is much better
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Lybra: energy from the hump back

by Gaston » 04/03/13, 17:15

There is no such thing as a contradiction :?:

it could generate 6 million kWh each year, or 650.000 euros of electricity,

to equip an entire section of road comprising ten of these speed bumps, it would be necessary to invest around 100.000 euros. This investment would pay off after 6 years.
If each brings in 650.000 euros per year, it does not take 6 years to amortize a set of ten copies to 100.000 euros :?:

Moreover, the original article in Italian adds that the set of 10 elements would produce 100.000 kWh per year ...
It is therefore probably the figure of 6 million kWh per retarder that is wrong ...
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 04/03/13, 18:54

> 400 cars pass every day, it could generate
> each year 6 million kWh, i.e. 650.000 euro of electricity

lol.

To brake a 1 tonne car from 50 km / h to 30 km / h, it must be removed from 61 kJ of kinetic energy, i.e. ... drum roll ... 0.017 kWh

To reach the smoky figure quoted (and assuming a delirious efficiency of the system of 100%) it would therefore be 349920000 cars per year : Mrgreen:

Or, go, roughly, 1 million cars a day.

Or 11 cars per second.

Something tells me that in a 30 zone, this is uncommon.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/03/13, 22:15

It would be better to recover the energy of the nonsense, the gain would be more substantial! :P
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/03/13, 23:02

Ahmed wrote:It would be better to recover the energy of the nonsense, the gain would be more substantial! :P

if there was energy in the nonsense we could put out all the nuclear power plants and we would no longer need oil!
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 05/03/13, 09:17

BobFuck wrote:To reach the smoky figure quoted (and assuming a delirious efficiency of the system of 100%) it would therefore be 349920000 cars per year : Mrgreen:
If we base ourselves on the other value given by the article: 10 elements produce 100.000 kWh per year, we obtain:
10 / 000 = 0.017 cars per year.

A little over 1600 cars per day, which still generates significant traffic ... but achievable : Cheesy:

: Idea: I suppose that the figure of 6 million kWh per year corresponds to the power that the generator could provide if it were operated 24 hours a day ...: approximately 24W. : Idea:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 05/03/13, 09:44

BobFuck wrote:> 400 cars pass every day, it could generate
> each year 6 million kWh, i.e. 650.000 euro of electricity

lol.

To brake a 1 tonne car from 50 km / h to 30 km / h, it must be removed from 61 kJ of kinetic energy, i.e. ... drum roll ... 0.017 kWh

To reach the smoky figure quoted (and assuming a delirious efficiency of the system of 100%) it would therefore be 349920000 cars per year : Mrgreen:

Or, go, roughly, 1 million cars a day.

Or 11 cars per second.

Something tells me that in a 30 zone, this is uncommon.

Exact calculations...

But are the 6 MWh estimated on a Bumpers park? ...

In any case the electrical production will be very weak by car. Unless we encourage drivers to drive there at full speed (hence the name "retarder" : Cheesy: )

Because the car brakes with its brakes at more than 90%, and arrives with a low speed on the bumper, speed which will be largely preserved because the effort of the bumper is essentially vertical (and therefore works very little), not to mention of the internal energy conversion efficiency of the bumper ...

This gadget raises the big question of the CO2 footprint of all retarders and roundabouts, absolutely colossal, in particular because 99,99% of vehicles are not equipped with regenerative braking.

@+
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 05/03/13, 14:29

Remundo wrote:This gadget raises the big question of the CO2 footprint of all retarders and roundabouts, absolutely colossal, in particular because 99,99% of vehicles are not equipped with regenerative braking.

Yes, but many of them are still equipped with a cut-off from injection to deceleration.
0 x
To argue.
Remundo

by Remundo » 05/03/13, 14:38

voui ... but it is far from being very effective.
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."