Moto: Lithium batteries arrive! 1ers tests (motomag)

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Moto: Lithium batteries arrive! 1ers tests (motomag)

by Christophe » 28/03/12, 20:07

RB, Super B, Skyrich ... In Moto Magazine n ° 286 (April 2012, on newsstands on March 29), three lithium batteries are analyzed and compared with one of the Yuasa lead batteries (best technical note during our last lead battery test).

General test result

Under normal conditions, batteries using the latest technology, despite a minimum volume and a light weight, offer a much higher starting capacity than lead batteries.

Some manufacturers have chosen an older and less expensive technology. This time the weight is minimal, as could also be the volume, but the hot performance is only equivalent to the best lead batteries they are supposed to replace. The “very cold” test is not surprising, the limits of lithium being known.

Energy in stock

Lithium starter batteries have the reputation of being able to deliver much more energy than lead-acid batteries in a very short time. They were connected to the terminals of a Suzuki 750 GSR, prepared by Suzuki France. This is so that the starter drives the engine without it being able to start up.

Hot and cold for lithium

Presses of about 15 seconds on the start button were then repeated until each battery ran out. This test was carried out once at normal temperature (20 °), moderate use (so-called hot test). It was then reiterated cold, on batteries stored for several hours in a freezer operating between -18 and -20 °. Each battery was carefully packed to avoid a short circuit between the electrodes, via the frost.

Ultimately, the most advanced lithium starter batteries offer many interesting qualities but their very high price confines them to fairly specific uses.

Side major drawback, a massive and poorly controlled use of this metal, difficult to extract, could generate environmental disasters and geopolitical problems painful for the whole of humanity.

Find the results of this test in Moto Magazine n ° 286 (April 2012)

Pascal Girardin - 28/03/2012

Source: http://www.motomag.com/Batterie-moto-le ... -test.html

Uh question: the regulator is well integrated into the battery I hope ... : Idea:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 29/03/12, 09:24

Without wanting to advertise ...
He's the big boss of forum VE, IMHO he knows what he's up to.

http://www.ev-engineering.com/?Batterie ... %3Bmarrage

I really want to tinker one for my GPZ which does not run often ..
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/03/12, 09:40

Yes I also think they thought about it ...

Huh ??? I dream where did Macro say something POSITIVE about the electric battery? : Cheesy:

It does not prevent a Li battery must be maintained more often than a lead ... so this argument I do not believe too much:

the absence of self-discharge will reconcile you with starting your vehicle, whether in the coldest of winter as after several months of non-use.

Self discharge may not be, but it is replaced by self destruction ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 29/03/12, 11:24

The only two positive feedbacks I have with batteries are both on Ni Mh batteries.

- One on a battery of adaptable screwdriver bought at about battery to replace a Ni Cad block, Ni mh battery that I charge with the original charger provided for the Nicad. According to About Batterie: it does it without problem ...
It has so much more power than the screwdriver that is falling apart under the force of the much higher tightening torque.

-Another on our electric toothbrush which holds for brushing the puppies of all Macrofamilly (4 people) without weakening for 18 months ...

-Other return (professional one) of lithium ion batteries on our motorola GP340 walkie-talkie. They hold very well recharge in the blink of an eye and are always operational when taken from the charger. So much so that the second set of batteries that I bought at the same time as these devices are still in the box ... While with our old motorola GP900 and their Ni Cad batteries we were constantly annoyed and that with 3 sets of batteries per device that had to be renewed every two years maximum (and when we know the price of ATEX equipment it hurt us at C ...

That's why I'm not too hot to throw a game of Nicad under my berlingo .. the bad feedback I have from Nicad block the opening of my mind ...

Lead-acid batteries ... At my place ... It is a disaster ... Still a whole game on an inverter who does not want to know anything ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."