Vehicle wind reed

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Serdj
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Vehicle wind reed

by Serdj » 09/11/11, 11:06

Hello to all,

So here I have a question to ask you: does the concept of a vibrating blade wind vehicle seem viable to you, and has this already been tested?

The idea is to recover energy from the wind not with a wind turbine, but with a vibrating blade. You have all noticed that if we hold in our hands a strip of paper or stretched fabric, and that we place ourselves in the bed of the wind, it vibrates. By imagining a larger device, such as a long vertical metal blade stuck in the ground, we could also make it vibrate when there is wind.

If we could recover this vibration energy, this would provide an alternative to conventional wind turbines, having the advantage of being much less dangerous, particularly if it is mounted on a vehicle (land or ship).

Variant: a ship propelled by a vertical blade which would oscillate thanks to the force of the wind, and which would be attached to another blade submerged in water, like a sort of "scull" (sailors will recognize this term)

Okay here, does all of this seem playable or utopian, interesting or ineffective? It's your turn !
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: vibrating blade wind vehicle

by Cuicui » 09/11/11, 11:40

serdj wrote:If we could recover this vibration energy, this would provide an alternative to conventional wind turbines, having the advantage of being much less dangerous, particularly if it is mounted on a vehicle (land or ship).

Interesting. But when I hear the straps that fasten a ladder on the roof of the car howl, I wonder if the device is not likely to be noisy ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 09/11/11, 11:42

The concept is fun.

However, I see two big flaws:
1) Noise
2) Mechanical stresses (in general, vibrations end up being the reason for all fastenings).

As for the scull, I don't believe that the scull movement can be compared to a vibration.
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 09/11/11, 12:04

For wind power: already done (seen passing on the net qq years ago), bofbof yield!
For the principle of the scull, to test, I would see two in phase opposition so as not to disturb the wandering of the boat ... but I remain convinced, at random, that a sail will be better, except headwind .
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
Serdj
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: vibrating blade wind vehicle

by Serdj » 09/11/11, 12:34

Cuicui wrote:Interesting. But when I hear the straps that fasten a ladder on the roof of the car howl, I wonder if the device is not likely to be noisy ...

Ah sure the noise is a pb. But everything depends on the frequency of vibration: if the "vibrating blade" is large enough (a few tens of m), we can have frequencies low enough to become inaudible.

I was also wondering how to recover the energy from this vibrating blade: after thinking of various mechanical systems, I said to myself that the simplest was probably a magnetic device: we fixed a magnet on the blade (unless they is not itself magnetized!), which would be surrounded by a conductive winding (stator) to directly produce electric current.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/11/11, 18:27

... we can have frequencies low enough to become inaudible.

Inaudible certainly, but not harmless, infra-sounds can cause discomfort, or even more if affinity ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/11/11, 22:14

What is the efficiency of conversion of wind energy to a vibrating blade in the wind like a harmonica blade ?????

The wind exerts a force like the square of the speed of the wind, which is converted into energy thanks to its speed of displacement, the power obtained is the product force by speed. The force decreases with the speed approaching that of the wind.
The yield is therefore optimum when this speed is a significant fraction of that of the wind !!.
A constant rotating speed of a conventional wind turbine seems the simplest.
A very fast oscillating speed gives inertia forces which seem annoying but similar to those of centrifugal force on the blades of wind turbines.
The inertia forces impose the lightest possible blades, even more than for a traditional wind turbine, otherwise the blade will break.
Using the resonance of the blade by elasticity like a piano string, should improve performance.
The conversion of the movement into electricity can be done by magnet moving in a coil, but then the weight of the oscillating magnet increases the forces of inertia, decreases the speed and therefore decreases the output.
On the contrary, the piezoelectric conversion can be lighter at higher speed, even ultrasound, with better efficiency of the piezoelectric for blades of small dimensions.

Finally instead of blade vibrating in the wind, we can use the movement of trees and branches, of a forest, with the advantage that hidden in the forest, it will be almost invisible and the pleasant noise of a forest in the wind, which makes it possible to cover a large area at low cost, like trees that grow naturally. !!

Finally, with intelligently designed GMOs, we could convert movement energy into electricity, or into a chemical compound, with the addition of photosynthesis to recover solar energy !!!
The advantage of spontaneous pushing is enormous, it is enough to sow to multiply wind turbines and photovoltaic or wood power plants !!
This advantage is so huge that we can accept a lower yield !!
0 x