Boat solar hybrid electric and cogeneration Hampton

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
MICROTECH
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Boat solar hybrid electric and cogeneration Hampton

by MICROTECH » 19/06/11, 14:55

Hello everybody

A quick note to accompany the launch of the Kingfisher which is an old Hampton boat from 1978 renovated, and restarted as a small habitable with electro-solar motorization in summer and cogenerator electricity and heat in winter with the smallest diesel Kubota driving a Lynch engine as a generator. More photos if you are interested!

The speed using the 500W of the solar panels is 6km / h, which must be associated with the maximum speed on the channel which is 8km / h ... difficult to understand why professionals install motors from 30 to 50hp on the same types of boat rental ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/06/11, 22:16

It interests us! Send photos and technical details.
Superb initiative! Uh, how is going on the "legality" side (insurance, homologation ...)? I imagine less painful than on the road?
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 20/06/11, 00:10

Christophe wrote:It interests us! Send photos and technical details.
. : Mrgreen:
Yesterday on the stand of Mobil'éco at the day of the vehicles of the future, we received the visit of a person who asked us for information on electric boats ... I could not answer him because I was in conference but I have his coordinates.
I guess you have already contacted organizations that are working on the issue likeAFBE.
I have a few other addresses, including a builder on the Arcachon Basin.

In addition, the electric river shuttle project is back on the agenda in Bordeaux.
I have a study (confidential) which had been carried out almost 20 years ago ...
0 x
MICROTECH
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MICROTECH » 20/06/11, 12:50

Hello,

Well no, I don't know AFBE! For the launch under the French flag, we quickly understood that the course would be long, difficult and expensive. Because the administration is in the hands of an elite which tolerates only new equipment ... and fried customers. For others, the vast majority of those who dream of sailing with a raft made with their hands, it is necessary to go through the amateur construction protocol ... pure madness. The French citizen is really poorly regarded in France! By sufficiency and height, the administration does not recognize the existence of old boats, whether French or foreign. Going through the amateur builder protocol, that means that the boat is new and that the taxes are "full price". In the end, we went through a shipyard called "vogue la galère". The Dutch experts recognized our boat for what it is: an English architect boat from the Hampton boat yard with its 1978 build date and prototype electric propulsion. And for that in Holland there are very few taxes and not at all for electric traction. The boat is now Dutch and I still have to declare it to French customs.

A bit of controversy with the electric diesel group which I am going to modify so that it works with fryer oil with preheating by electric resistances

I will visit the AFtruc A + website

Gilles
0 x
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pierre-Yves » 20/06/11, 13:54

I join Christophe and Citro to ask for more explanations. Everything about your installation interests me because the photo shows that it is a great achievement.

- characteristics of the boat (length, width, weight, draft)?
- characteristics of the engine: you are talking about a Lynch engine as a generator, what is there for propulsion?
- energy sources: surface of PV cells, batteries?

You say that your 500 W of PV cells is enough to advance the boat to 6 km / h: I suppose that your panels are used to charge batteries from which you power an engine of a few kW. That's right ?

Many European countries have almost banned the use of heat engines on canals and inland water bodies (Switzerland, Austria, ...). France is far behind on this. This is why your achievement is interesting, despite the difficulties you encounter for its approval!
0 x
optimization, energy savings
http://www.avel-vor.fr
MICROTECH
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MICROTECH » 20/06/11, 19:48

Hello everybody

The boat is 7m90 X 2,90, draft 0.5m, it weighs 2t5 against 3t5 before modifications. The old engine was a 35HP leyland that powered a hydraulic pump. The hydraulic motor was mounted in line with the propeller. There were 8 holes under the waterline, only one remains, that of the propeller shaft which is used to draw water from the channel to cool the engine exchanger and the exhaust gases (fluvialization of the engine diesel). The boat is driven by a POD equipped with a single motor ... LYNCH AGNI-MOTOR but it can receive a constellation of 4 motors to bring the power of the POD to 40kW permanent. The engine support is fixed, only the propeller bulb turns. The rotary drive is done by a wiper motor. This principle makes it possible to pilot the boat with a poti, but my wife imposes the macaron on me, it is more serious! The POD can be dismantled from a platform so in the event of damage, it can be repaired without having to take the boat out of the water.
The batteries are for now Hawkers lead of 70AH48V, but eventually we will order 160AH Lithium Ion iron. The panels are 2mX1m and 280W. Flattened we have 500W, or 10A at 50V, but without having to point them at the sun with a complicated and often fragile mechanism, it produces throughout the day. I am considering an extension in the form of a panel installed as the protective shutters of the main panels.

0 x
electric
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by electric » 08/07/11, 10:32

Hello everybody

Super your project and very nice installation.
Indeed in France, despite the number of large manufacturers, very little is interested in electric motorization .....
Except for small rental boats by the hour or half a day.

I have been interested in electric motorization for boats for a long time, more in outboard version than inboard because less restrictive to the installation.

If I understood correctly you installed a 40 kW motor but it works at what voltage.

For those interested in electric motorization for boats, there is a blog that shows examples of uses: www.hors-bord-electrique.com
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 08/07/11, 16:44

one thing surprises me, your plan to put lifepo4 batteries.
what interest compared to lead on a boat ??
the weight is not really a problem on a machine of 2.5 tons which moves at constant speed ???
on the other hand, hello the price difference and the complexity of the management of the individual cells. (I speak knowingly)
with lead, you are also much quieter regarding solar charging because lead batteries are relatively tolerant.
0 x
Click my signature
MICROTECH
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MICROTECH » 28/07/11, 12:18

Hello everybody

HB with a "torquemax" motor do not always give satisfaction: high rotation speed and noise, reliability over long discharge times and fragility for intensive use. Recommended for light sailboats which use it for port maneuvers.

Regarding batteries, lipofers are slightly more expensive than lead, 330 euro per kWh, on the other hand they have a much better charge (solar!) Discharge performance than lead, a much longer lifespan provided that they are not applied. Thundersky's voltage prescriptions and then to note that they all respect the characteristics including cycling. Idea commonly accepted, if the weight is not a problem in a boat (I think that the spiral of lightening remains virtuous even for a boat especially electro-solar) ... the bulk in a boat is important, the balancing too ... and my back has no spare parts.
For the vast subject of BMS contact directly.

Gilles
0 x