Opposite piston engines and Bill Gates

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
micdhi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Opposite piston engines and Bill Gates

by micdhi » 15/01/11, 22:22

Good evening
I post little, it is true, but I notice, that you spoke about the engine with opposite pistons for helicopter ....
new-transport / Helicopter-a-engine diesel-EcoMotors t9648.html

but this engine with opposed pistons, has interested other people recently (just like me for a long time ..... see my subject "hydraulic hybrid cars")
in any case it gives me pleasure that bill gates chooses the engine with opposite pistons and to finance it, as engine of the future.
but you will tell me why now and why this old engine ....
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9n%C ... es_Pescara
http://fr.calameo.com/read/0001240572ae5a05fb9e5
http://amicale.puch.free.fr/Historique/ ... n_en_u.htm
http://ppdgemini.com/_PDF/Gemini_100_Sp ... 09_B&W.pdf
especially that the engine of the link ecomotors of the subject which I present strangely resembles this last link
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... utview.JPG
and finally
http://www.autosblog.fr/post/4615/ecomo ... bill-gates
quite simply, because, perhaps he was convinced like me, that this engine has:
a significant volumetric ratio.
that the fact of having 2 pistons (one towards the other) necessarily gives a speed of compression, therefore faster heating of the air. (for diesel)
that also, the distance of the pistons in opposition gives a more important free expansion of volume. >>> a long stroke in a way (long stroke = complete combustion).
and this engine can be multi-fuel (remember the free piston engine)
consume less-car / le-dlr-reinvents-the-engine-Stirling-t3269.html

the disadvantage of the engine is first of all the fact that it is not self-aspirating, and that that presented by ecomotors, has a rather imposing double wrapping.
for my part, (in my research and study which materializes very slowly) I eliminated the part of the wrapping, as presented, by adopting the axial pistons, but on 3 double cylinders (6 pistons and 3 shirts) and for the food :
a turbo electric power supply
http://www.cpowert.com/products/vtes.htm

I would like to know (if possible) your criticisms and advantages (other than mine) on the type of engine OPOC (Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder) presented in the first lines. possibly this bill is right in this choice. (the choice of the type of engine)
please
cordially
Last edited by micdhi the 15 / 01 / 11, 22: 34, 2 edited once.
0 x
"life has more imagination than our dreams carry" christophe COLOMB
micdhi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by micdhi » 15/01/11, 22:27

of course I forgot to talk about the exceptional performance of this type of engine which is close to 55 percent.
I hope I haven't forgotten anything else : Cheesy:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 15/01/11, 22:50

when microsoft will manufacture nails it will not crash anymore ... but if it makes engines it is scary!

many things have been said
http://forums.futura-sciences.com/techn ... stons.html
we can put a layer here ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 15/01/11, 23:21

Bill Gates doesn't have much to do with Microsoft anymore I think. It seems to me that he has ceded all responsibility and decision making for a while. He is "simple" shareholder (to verify, I have not really followed the case)
0 x
jlt22
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jlt22 » 16/01/11, 00:46

micdhi said:

I hope I haven't forgotten anything else

There were Doxford marine engines:

See page 5:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/helicoptere-a-moteur-diesel-ecomotors-t9648-40.html
0 x
micdhi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by micdhi » 16/01/11, 09:15

Hello.
that bill is no longer in "activity", that other engines of the same category exist, I know it ...... the list goes on.
and bill fortunately does not make engines .....
I looked at the patent filings of the company ecomotors, it also offers a current producing motor thanks to the linear displacements of the pistons ......
when to my forgetfulness: I forgot that it has the best scanning of "equicurrent scanning" engines:
the exhaust is rejected by the entry of the forced air, in a linear direction in the cylinder, pledge of a good rejection of the burnt gases, the "new" air occupies all the displacement without forgotten "corner", because there are not any . etc
cordially
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 16/01/11, 10:23

A little research with "Napier Deltic" ...
Currently it seems obvious to me that manufacturers are allergic to light cylinders. I guess there is a reason.
0 x
micdhi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by micdhi » 16/01/11, 12:54

Philippe Schutt wrote: manufacturers are allergic to light cylinders. I guess there is a reason.

because for some obvious reason, the exhaust lights are not cooled.
but on the principle of opposite pistons one can improve this defect by increasing, the air flow in entry indeed the surplus air coming from an electric turbo on this engine drives out the flow of burnt gas, but in addition and especially cools the exhaust lights.
ps: also, (but don't say it :D ) the fresh air mixing with the burned gas gives a rather interesting pollution balance, and yet it is already classified as one of the best yields in the world. that said there are others who use this ploy.
if the two times really had a problem with the lights with all the engines currently in existence, we would have much more like engines to use.
both times have been largely removed on motorcycles (for example) due to the release of oil smoke into the atmosphere
this engine has the connecting rods in the oil like a 4 stroke.
cordially
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 16/01/11, 12:56

Hello micdhi

Personally, I love this engine. I find it very well thought out and it seems to settle the defects of the 2-stroke engine.

I hope that thanks to Bill Gates's $$ he will put the 2 beats back on light (pun intended!) And will motivate the builders.

micdhi, on another subject, you told us about tests at Cemagref in November 2010. Can you tell us more?
0 x
To argue.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 16/01/11, 13:26

the segments which pass in front of the exhaust light are indeed a weak point of the 2 times especially on the simple 2 times with a single piston per cylinder: all the exhaust is done by a single light

with the 2 opposite piston it is possible to distribute the exhaust between a good number of small lights, therefore enough cylinder surface well cooled between the lights

another advantage of the 1 cylinder 2 piston 3 connecting rod, put less stroke on the piston on the exhaust side to give less linear speed to the exhaust segment than to the segment on the intake side

it falls well the piston with 2 connecting rod makes more weight than the piston with 1 connecting rod, it must therefore have less stroke so that the whole is well balanced: put the exhaust on the piston with 2 connecting rod

alas at bill they do not reflect more for the engine than for the software: they put the exhaust on the 2 connecting rod on one side and on the single connecting rod on the other side which makes any optimization impossible

in addition the movement of the piston should not be exactly opposite, a small offset allows to open the exhaust first and close the intake last: which was well done on aircraft junkers ... and on deltic napier

this drawing is nothing but powder in the eyes with a study not finished ... unless they expressly disseminate a false drawing to keep their little secrets ... if they please pass for branquignols
0 x