Direct recycling of our old HS sofa disassemble VS throw!

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Christophe

Direct recycling of our old HS sofa disassemble VS throw!

by Christophe » 17/09/09, 09:48

In 2005, we bought a sofa from a "m € rd € s furniture seller" whose name I will not mention. Declared at 40% I think and look nice ... we signed ... so the word "old" in the title is a bit abusive but honestly, it was completely out of order ...

Only here, after a few months one of the armrests weakens (chipboard of the structure "torn off")! What made the joy of the cats who could hide there (hollow). Then afterwards they started to make their mark on it: it was not "catch-up" ...

In short we could do more and we wanted to put it in bulky a few days ago ... and there we say: and pkoi not recover the materials?

2 "economical" advantages to this:

a) bulky items are not recycled: this is landfill = ecological and social cost

b) there are probably a few tens of euros (see more) of materials in a sofa ... = economic gain

In addition, it allows to see "how it's done inside"!

2 hours approximately (with "the help" of our 2 cats)

Result: we reduce bulky waste to ZERO!
And we get a few kg of “wood” and “cardboard” waste sorted in the container park and above all we recover a lot of reclaimed materials: wood (some slats are of very good quality in birch), cotton wool (expensive per new m²), "sky" (not waterproof I checked), the elements to make an extra bed (which still needs to be made), a few kg of synthetic foam (insulation or cushion or other ... ), some elastic straps, 2 feet and a chromed steel bar ...

It remains to find a use for all this! I'm sure it will be useful one day! : Cheesy:

Photo report of direct disassembly / recycling

Here we go! Notice on the right the HS armrest at the junction with the sofa.

We start by cleaning the ears :)

And the back ...

Roh of the pretty cardboard!

Interesting interior (the central agglomerate was screwed up since I don't know when maybe one of the 2 moves or already already in the store ???):

Hey, not bad the "clean" look like a car seat :)

That's it "he's naked":

Recup:

Waste sorted towards the park:

Voili voila it was the econological recycling workshop of this beginning of the week :)
Last edited by Christophe the 17 / 09 / 09, 10: 09, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/09/09, 09:58

Demolishing a sofa in 4 years: that sheds more light on the intensity of Christophe and Christine's activities on this sofa! : Oops:

Quickly accuse the cats! : Evil:

That said, excellent subject!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/09, 10:04

Ah ah ah I expected this reflection :)

I reassure you, he didn't need "that" to fuck him up! (it's not a contropy, eh)

ps: the "lot" included a 2nd 2-seater sofa that we keep this one (not too HS), the dismantled one was the 3-seater ...
Last edited by Christophe the 17 / 09 / 09, 10: 06, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/09/09, 10:05

Christophe wrote:

above all we recover a lot of recycled materials: wood (some slats are of very good quality in birch), cotton wool (expensive per new m²), "sky" (not waterproof I checked), the elements for make an extra bed (which remains to be made), a few kg of synthetic foam (insulation or cushion or other ...), some elastic straps, 2 feet and a chromed steel bar ...

It remains to find a use for all this! I'm sure it will be useful one day! Cheesy Grin

The problem with sorting, recycling, some DIY, etc ... is that you need a second house! I think you are too influenced by your idyllic country situation. Generally moreover (I do not blame anyone), econology lacks "urban" speakers (am I wrong?)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/09, 10:08

It's true: before we had only one waste in the living room, now we have lots of material to classify: it is sure that the footprint will be greater !! : Cheesy:

But I reassure you except for the "bed", we already have places with the rest of the scrap materials ...
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 17/09/09, 10:29

: Cheesy: this summer i decided to replace the old chairs in my dining room (they were ho! 50 years easy :D )
Instead of throwing them, or burning them in the pan, they became a garden bench.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 17/09/09, 10:41

elephant wrote:The problem with sorting, recycling, some DIY, etc ... is that you need a second house! I think you are too influenced by your idyllic country situation. Generally moreover (I do not blame anyone), econology lacks "urban" speakers (am I wrong?)

Yes elephant, we have the space and the means to do it, so why shouldn't we? Others, the "urban" for example, may have less room for this kind of DIY but they have other possibilities that we don't have; I am thinking, for example, of travel (public transport, cycle paths), local shops, collective heating, glass or paper recycling "bubbles" which allow waste to be disposed of downstairs from home, etc.

It is up to everyone to adjust their "green" gestures to their possibilities. The problem is that it is easier to look for excuses to do nothing than to use your imagination to find new ways of doing things.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/09, 10:52

Christine wrote:Yes elephant, we have the space and the means to do it, so why should we not?

Well inside we don't have that much space ... you know the state of the "garage" as well as I do. : Cheesy: : Cheesy: Will have to reorganize a few storage places in the coming times ...

Christine wrote:It is up to everyone to adjust their "green" gestures to their possibilities. The problem is that it is easier to look for excuses to do nothing than to use your imagination to find new ways of doing things.

+1

ps: great your Lejuste bench! What are chairs like?
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 17/09/09, 11:05

What are chairs like?

Oak :D it was grandfather's chairs ...
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/09, 11:06

50 years of oak?

Suffice to say that they are new! : Cheesy:

By cons outside I do not know if it will last so long ... you put what as paint / stain?
0 x