Municipal compost, references and explanations

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
kiln
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Municipal compost, references and explanations

by kiln » 21/04/09, 11:49

Hello everybody
I am currently conducting a study on the establishment of municipal compost or local compost. However, there are few explanations and references regarding this composting technique. In particular, I am trying to find out if it is possible to put this in place in an urban suburban municipality (that is to say without agriculture, near a big city but without collective habitats) from the grass clippings of the inhabitants .

So I would need to know if people know a little about the principle, its cost and the different rules to respect for its implementation and operation.

Likewise, I try to estimate "the deposit" that green waste represents for a municipality. For this, I try to estimate the area of ​​gardens but then I cannot convert a garden area into annual lawn mowing (in tonnes and m3).
Basically, could someone tell me how many kg / year (and m3 / year) corresponds to 1m2 of garden to be mowed?

Thank you in advance for your answers
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/04/09, 21:01

Can you specify in what context you are carrying out this study?

I'm not sure you pose the problem: grass clippings are just one element of "green waste", you have to add shrub sizes and leaves.

Composting the lawn is tricky because it is very rich in nitrogen elements and low in carbon. It heats up very quickly and strongly, producing odors and leachate.

Rather than collecting the mowing at great expense on a dedicated platform in order to process it (to redistribute it afterwards!), Would it not be preferable to inform the producers of this "waste" that it is possible for them and advantageous to keep this organic matter on site, for the greatest benefit of their garden and their wallet *?

In the garden, it is not even essential to compost, it is enough to spread the clippings between the plants to form a mulch (in a thin layer there is no fermentation since there is rapid drying).
For those who are not interested in decorative plants or vegetables, there is the possibility of mowing with a mulching blade and leaving everything in place: simpler you die!

* More fertilizer to buy and less fees for the community (= taxes).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/04/09, 21:18

+1 with Ahmed, but generally green spaces also maintain trees and shrubs ...

To answer the main question: I do not know the "average" growth of the turf but I know that it is very strongly variable following:

a) the average cutting height (= the number of cuts per year ...)

b) but above all: the region's climate including (above all) precipitation!

The type of grass, its orientation, its use (trampled grass generally grows less well) must also intervene ...

In the end I think it is very difficult to estimate a production "tonnage" without risk of 100% error ...
0 x
jlt22
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jlt22 » 21/04/09, 22:47

Bonsoir

The easiest way to get information on how to produce compost is to get information from ADEME.
There must be a representative in each department.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 22/04/09, 06:46

In response to Ahmed,
The product of mowing in mulch is not good because unless you put very little, it does not dry.
This ferments and forms a fairly tight layer that smothers the roots, the herbs ferments. This also promotes the appearance of milliou in pdt for example. I tried
To compost it you have to mix it with something else. If possible dry it a little before.
0 x
byzance007
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

compost

by byzance007 » 22/04/09, 11:50

in Brussels, we have implemented a project that works very well (12000 tonnes processed per year)
during the month of April / May we do mini training on composting (which I will follow which comes within the framework of my association "LESRA")
here is the website address
urb.ecoconseil@brucity.be
bruxellesenvironnement.be for the composting brochure

Good luck to you
here is the address of my association

“street children in Africa” (LESRA).
http://sites.google.com/site/lesenfants ... tionderue/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php ... 6897429392
need this energy that drives you.
Thank you and welcome to this action.
Then
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/04/09, 13:06

Phil 53 said:
The product of mowing in mulch is not good because unless you put very little, it does not dry.
This ferments and forms a fairly tight layer that smothers the roots, the herbs ferments.

Absolutely agree, that's what I wrote. A more convenient solution is to dry it in swaths (= turning) before spreading it in thick layers.

Composting is an apparently easy solution which invariably leads to significant waste, first in transport and then in the final product (significant reduction in volumes and positive impacts on the soil). This last point is not taken into account since the reduction of volume is currently the priority of the communities.

The main idea of ​​composting * is to mineralize organic matter as quickly as possible. outsourcing transformation, while mulching involves the soil in this recycling, as is its natural function.

* Of course, composting is justified in certain cases where there is no other way.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
kiln
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kiln » 24/04/09, 11:53

Thank you for your answers,
So I'm trying on behalf of a community to make proposals to limit the fact that green waste, and mainly lawn mowing, ends up in household garbage.
Obviously, grass cycling is the dream solution but not everyone has the same perception of recycling and prefers to have a garden resembling a golf green ...
In short, I then became interested in collective composting which can allow people to become more responsible. The problem is that I have to make a financial estimate of the cost of composting. So much for the context.

I understand that lawn mowing cannot be weighed down. Too bad, I do it differently.

Otherwise, I would have liked to know if the green waste (carbon and nitrogen mixture) in swaths and in large quantities produces leachate? More specifically, I would like to know if there are any harmful consequences to the decomposition of green waste in the open air? I start from the principle that this decomposition is monitored (inversion, respected dry / wet mixture, ...) ...
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 24/04/09, 12:52

Hi Fourbinet,

In the commune of my parents (suburban suburb without more interest than another), the commune offers composters to the inhabitants. We have one, it's not bad. These are some wooden planks mounted with hinges and plastic uprights. Not top quality but it's ok ... There was even a small composting training at the time of recovery of the bazaar.

The educational aspect is not bad, because we no longer just talk about composting, but we try for real. Green waste is reduced for the municipality.

It can be an interesting compromise.
0 x
kiln
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kiln » 24/04/09, 13:21

thank you Rulian for this answer.
In fact, the town where I am doing this study has already set up individual composters, but these are inadequate for green waste, in particular mowing too large lawns. It is for this reason that collective compost seems interesting to me because it seems to me that it can allow more composting.
In fact, I can't seem to find solutions for green waste compost between the individual composter and the industrial composting platform ... Does anyone have the solution?
0 x