Do not throw away your convectors toast improve them !!!!

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Do not throw away your convectors toast improve them !!!!

by LOGIC12 » 28/01/08, 12:38

Hello: The "toaster" convectors heat up quickly, but have no inertia. Without harming their functioning, we can give them the inertia they lack: See link
www.systemed.fr/Forum/forum_posts.asp? TID = 20649 & PN = 5
I myself tried with the convectors of the small country house of my parents, it's not bad at all. We have more comfort, so we are less likely to push the thermostat.
As I disconnected and disassembled, I took the opportunity to blow with a compressor to remove the dust.
I have one with side exit, it's even better.
Hot air comes out the same way as before modification. Tiling, not being in contact with the resistance, it takes only very few calories, so much so that it is not sensitive, and the walls of the radiator stay warm easily 10 mn after cutting the thermostat, which gives a more regular heat. This while maintaining the speed of heating.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/01/08, 12:43

Uh if I understand correctly it becomes an inertia toaster ?

A schema can be?
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by LOGIC12 » 28/01/08, 14:53

hello: You must unplug, remove the radiator and open it. This is not possible with models that have rounded corners, but usually with the large majority of others.
So once the radiator is open, we see the back plate that holds the resistance in the bottom, and the front plate and sides in one piece. We mark with a felt, inside, the surface on which we can fix the tiles without hindering for reassembly, and especially without touching the resistance or the deflector.
Then we cut the floor tiles (recovery). I had thick porcelain stoneware, and I fixed it on the determined surface with flat-head bolts with washers and nuts. So we are sure that it will not move. and we go back up the device. Of course it is heavier (inertia requires). Externally, we only see the head of the flathead bolts. If you do not fix the device to the wall, it is imperative to put feet under, because the air must flow. To keep for oneself. Do not give to a tenant, because although it does not risk anything, since the air circulation is practically uncomfortable, the passage being very wide, if the tenant had a problem, even if the modification is there for nothing, we could have problems.
Personally, I have tried with 500 w and 750 watts, it is satisfactory, and it is virtually nothing costs. I made them work for a long time without problems. In fact, it's very simple, it's only a doubling of the sheets, absolutely nothing else.
0 x
jc-tergal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jc-tergal » 19/05/08, 13:26

tulikivi sells electric heaters of this type. In fact the radiator is made of soapstone, through which a resistance passes. This heats up at night (in off-peak hours) to accumulate heat and releases it during the day. It also heats up during the day of course, but apparently instead of heating 75% of the time like a classic "toaster" it only heats 7-8 hours in 24 hours ... thanks to the excellent inertia of the steatite.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 19/05/08, 16:24

inertia or not inertia (of the radiator), the energy that must be balanced in the room so that it makes 19 ° C is the same. we will not lower the energy spent by putting a radiator steatite or putting tiling in a standard convector (a very good idea elsewhere).
the story of saying that one works 75% of the time and the other 30% is seller sales.
The inertia of the radiator is interesting for 2 things:
1- with a very strong inertia, we can accumulate energy when it is less expensive (off-peak hours) and restore it when it is more expensive. moreover, when one accumulates (the night) it is the moment when one needs less heat.
2- even with a low inertia (a few 10zaines of minutes) the interest is that the heated mass continues to radiate when the thermostat has cut until the next engagement.
but the human body is sensitive to radiation but very little to the absolute temperature (only to temperature variations)
which means that when a conventional convector cuts itself off, the radiation stops almost instantaneously and it is also felt instantaneously while the temperature of the piece is the same.

to convince you that your body is cheating on your feelings of temperature, try this little experience (well-known)
take a bowl of cold water, a bowl of hot water and a bowl of warm water. put the bowl of warm water between the other 2's.
dip both your indexes in the bowl of hot and cold water respectively. wait 1 minute.
take out your index fingers and dip both in the warm bowl. your brain refuses this idea but yet you feel that the water is cold on one finger and that it is hot on the other finger.
Thermal comfort is not just about temperature, but a lot of other things like humidity, air movement, and most of the radiation.
0 x
Click my signature
jc-tergal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jc-tergal » 19/05/08, 17:48

dirk pitt wrote:inertia or not inertia (of the radiator), the energy that must be balanced in the room so that it makes 19 ° C is the same. we will not lower the energy spent by putting a radiator steatite or putting tiling in a standard convector (a very good idea elsewhere).
the story of saying that one works 75% of the time and the other 30% is seller sales.

So you put the properties of the steatite at the same level as a floor tile!

The interest is to operate as much as possible during off-peak hours. And your tiling rebalancera at the end of 5 minutes while the steatite no !!

I'm not here to apologize but good your editing bricolo is nice but you can not targuier to have the same performance or comfort as steatite.

Made a mass stove with your tile or even a brick refractory and another steatite and I think you'll see the difference
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 19/05/08, 20:21

First of all, Judge, I did not say that.
I said that the steatite stove could have an inertia of several hours while the system bricolo proposed by Logic12 must have a low inertia (I said a few tens of minutes)
I also said that the use was not the same.
indeed, if the goal is to accumulate in off-peak hours, it takes a lot of inertia.
on the other hand with a few tens of minutes of inertia, it can be enough to compensate for the radiation cutting effect on simple convectors.
and I maintain that the energy required to heat the room air at 19 ° C is the same.

here, voila ....
0 x

Click my signature
jc-tergal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jc-tergal » 21/05/08, 20:53

dirk pitt wrote:and I maintain that the energy required to heat the room air at 19 ° C is the same.

here, voila ....

I agree : Cheesy: except for the fault of haurtaugrafeuhx : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Finally I am halfway in agreement because the principle is not to heat the air in the room because it is radiation (like the sun what !!) So you only heat what is "solid" and you do not heat the air (principle of a mass stove unlike a classic stove which will heat the air in your room)

Sorry if my tone was a little high pitched (it's written like that ??) in my previous message, it was not intentional!
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 21/05/08, 21:14

: Evil: The combination of off-peak hours is a marketing device.

I do not like to see that we sell discounts (but we forget to talk about the extra billing of the subscription) to encourage people to consume more and especially worse.

1 / The electric heating is PROSCRIRE (100W consumed = at best heat 90W)

2 / Inertia is only of interest if the volume to be heated is VERY WELL INSULATED.

The inertia is only interesting in the case of walls heated by the sun or mass stoves (type Tulikivi) very bulky and very expensive ...

Stop bringing water to the mills sellers of electric heaters. : Evil:
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 22/05/08, 08:53

When one does not have the choice of its heating system, the radiators with inertia are all the same better than the grates breads ...

My companion is very cold ... so we heat a lot (it is gas central heating), and in all rooms of the apartment is 21 or 22 ° C in winter ... : Cry: :? :|

With a system with inertia, the radiation would be more important, so I imagine that I will lower the thermostat, for an equivalent feeling ...

And that's where the savings are, I think ... lowering the thermostat to feel equivalent ...

What do you think ?

I have a friend who sell radiators with oil baths, in the same principle ...
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"