Disposable diapers: life cycle analysis, interest?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Anne Sophie
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Disposable diapers: life cycle analysis, interest?

by Anne Sophie » 17/02/07, 23:07

Hello !

I am part of an association promoting washable diapers (I just posted this on this subject).

we think it would be important to have a life cycle analysis comparison between washable and disposable.
http://www.ecobilan.com/fr_lca.php

we seek to give more credibility to our action, and we also want to know as much as possible what we are talking about.

studies have already been carried out, comparative studies, on the economic and ecological cost, giving largely washable washes.

but we would like to push it further.

does anyone have an idea of ​​the cost, and its interest, how to proceed, etc ... :?:

merci! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Anne Sophie.
--Ex--
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by --Ex-- » 30/04/07, 14:38

Suddenly and of interest to ask for a comparison of life cycle analysis between washable and disposable?
You should be closer to Ecobilan that you have linked, right?

In any case, it is clear that your association (who is called what by the way?) Had a good initiative.
I am thinking particularly of baby diapers, what a mess!
0 x
Anne Sophie
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Anne Sophie » 30/04/07, 15:16

yes, it is true that we must request a quote.

We have a lot of projects on the go, and are a bit busy elsewhere at the moment.

Before making this request, we need to think carefully about what we want to do, as a study, and WHAT to compare.
We have surveys that give us the most frequently used maintenance mode, washable side.
on the other hand, there is a large choice, HUGE, of washable, all different.
Which one to choose? : Shock:

and in fact, can we study a brand of disposable diaper without the manufacturer's agreement?
will he tell us how he makes it? ? (I highly doubt it :| )

Finally, lots of questions ....

the association is APCL, Bulle de Coton, an association that promotes washable diapers. : Mrgreen:

Thank you for your answer !
0 x
Anne Sophie.
--Ex--
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by --Ex-- » 30/04/07, 15:39

anne-sophie wrote:on the other hand, there is a large choice, HUGE, of washable, all different.
Which one to choose? : Shock:

Yes, I think it is in the interest of your association to make a comparison of all the solutions on the market.
I did not find the answer to a question I asked myself on your site:
Have you done a study between disposable / washable with the water that is used + for washable? In addition, I see that the excrement is thrown into the toilet. Although it may be better than throwing it in the trash?

anne-sophie wrote:and in fact, can we study a brand of disposable diaper without the manufacturer's agreement?

That's for sure, consumer associations do not ask the advice of manufacturers to make comparisons.
On the other hand, manufacturers generally like to have a right of reply before their distribution.

anne-sophie wrote:will he tell us how he makes it? ? (I highly doubt it :| )

Yes, there is no need to dream. But they will at least tell you how they recommend washing their product ...

anne-sophie wrote:the association is APCL, Bulle de Coton, an association that promotes washable diapers. : Mrgreen:

http://www.bulledecoton.org/
On the other hand, that speaks a lot, Mom. Should involve a little + dads huh :)
0 x
Anne Sophie
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Anne Sophie » 30/04/07, 15:54

we will never have the means to do all the washable.
you will have to choose one.

for the manufacturing method, I was thinking of DISPOSABLE diapers.
Impossible to know what exactly is inside: it is a manufacturing secret.
then, to find out how much they use water, electricity, or chemicals, it will be difficult.

there was a study, english, i believe, which came to the conclusion that, ecologically speaking, washable and disposable were equal.
However, this study is based on the lifestyles of the English.
For example: they have washable cleaning service: everyone has the same diapers, the service takes the dirty ones, makes them clean, all being washed at 90 ° C. Personally, I wash at 40 ° C, with a small natural disinfectant (essential oil of tea tree), and, unless someone's life depends on it, I do not iron them.

In the case of the English, we must therefore add the consumption of gasoline from the service, electricity ...
Not to mention that I think there is a difference in the production of electricity between the English and us ...

So, to redo with the French lifestyles.

Otherwise, yes, washable diapers are a lot of mothers.
Because for, alas, a very large majority of dads: it's poop yuck, we purposely put everything wrong, and presto, no need for an excuse not to change baby, it's mom who does. (I have a specimen at home ...)
0 x
Anne Sophie.
--Ex--
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by --Ex-- » 30/04/07, 16:01

I would not like to take the lead on this point with you but I do not agree too much on the blundering dad etc ...

On the other hand, I am well aware that dads do not yet take care of their children as much as mothers, maternity leave requires.

Coming back to the diapers, I'm amazed that disposables can be as green as washable anyway. If this were really the case, it is clear that using washable clothes would be a lot of extra work for not much. :( ... apart from the economy and the health of the baby from what I read on your site.
0 x
Anne Sophie
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Anne Sophie » 30/04/07, 16:10

well, it's nice to hear that!

I know that there are dads who invest themselves much more than others! : Cheesy:

as for comparative ecology, that is the whole question.
By different actions, we have raised enough money to do this study which is essential: we want to be sure of ourselves: saying that washable is more ecological, yes, with evidence, more than just intuition! :|
0 x
Anne Sophie.
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/04/07, 16:16

Little silly question: by whom was this study sponsored and funded? Unilever or Procter & Gamble? : Cheesy:

Do you still have Anne So on hand?

Because we risk finding ourselves in the same case of falsified results as for studies on GSM and electromagnetic waves funded by telecom manufacturers ... :|
0 x
Anne Sophie
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Anne Sophie » 30/04/07, 16:35

There is here http://www.bulledecoton.org/index.php?o ... &Itemid=82
2 studies: Actesanté, and Anne-Sophie OURTH's thesis (not me, lol!)

I'm looking for this English study ...
where did i put it ... :|
0 x
Anne Sophie.
Anne Sophie
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Anne Sophie » 30/04/07, 16:38

HERE !!!
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/yo ... 6/1072214/

yesss!!!

uh, to be honest, we haven't dwelled too much on it yet: between the lack of time, and our knowledge of english ....

but we flew over it ....

you tell me if you think it's a pipe ...

but nothing like doing the study ourselves.
except that procter may not like ....

we are in perpetual research on the subject.
0 x
Anne Sophie.