Recycling the electric toothbrush.

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Recycling the electric toothbrush.

by RV-P » 12/08/16, 11:03

- Hello again.
- It was “a straw” that I had not intervened on this forum, but once I saw in the recycling bins an “Oral-B” electric toothbrush, one that costs around 30 € at my place.
- Neither one nor two, I get it and, later, I find a charger ... which does not work!
: Idea: , I plan to make one… on this diagram:
Toothbrush loader diagram.jpg
Oral-B toothbrush charger diagram

(The value of the capacitors is to be determined: if the transistors heat up, decrease it!)
- Soon, I will send photos.
- Cordially.
0 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Recycling an electric toothbrush.

by Obamot » 12/08/16, 11:42

I find this type of project very meritorious. Congratulations !

It would be necessary to create a club of the electronics of the recovery, or a dedicated section in this forum :D
It would be really exciting.
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 13/08/16, 09:10

- Here are the photos :
20160812_232251.jpg
The toothbrush, charger and 12V 1,6A power supply.

20160812_232400.jpg
The hole behind the toothbrush, ground with a “grinder”.

20160812_232431.jpg
The charger, a little "big fingers", but it "runs"!

20160812_232642.jpg
The toothbrush in charge on the “country” charger!

- A test to find out if the charger works: try to start the toothbrush by pressing the On / Off button. Normally, the load blocks the starting of the brush which does not work!
- @ +!
*** Ah! I forgot: for transistors, any 1 to 2 Amp NPN model is suitable. BD, 2SD2012, 2SC… whatever! You can recover “a bunch” of it from old discarded electronic equipment. Don't hesitate to “visit” the recycling bins of your favorite supermarkets and DIY stores! ***
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 13/08/16, 14:25

What if it's a Li-ion battery?

Thanks for sharing anyway ^^
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 13/08/16, 18:05

- No: it is a NiMH battery of 1,2V 600 mAh (In case of HS battery, it would suffice to resolder another AA of 2400 mAh - longer brushing time between 2 recharges!).
- In addition, as there is an electronic circuit which controls the motor and charges the battery from a winding of 84 turns (located around the hole of the toothbrush, at its base), there must be regulation charge to avoid overcharging the battery!
- You can easily disassemble this toothbrush: just arm yourself with a small adjustable wrench or universal pliers, disassemble the brush, take the plastic part under the brush, near the body of the brush, and turn the base of the brush in the direction of unscrewing a nut! Everything comes next, hanging on the base of the brush!
- Cordially !
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 13/08/16, 18:47

RV-P wrote:- No: it is a NiMH battery of 1,2V 600 mAh (In case of HS battery, it would suffice to resolder another AA of 2400 mAh - longer brushing time between 2 recharges!)

You do how to weld on NiMh battery cylinders, it's not easy ...!
Silver solder?

RV-P wrote:- In addition, as there is an electronic circuit which controls the motor and charges the battery from a winding of 84 turns (located around the hole of the toothbrush, at its base), there must be regulation charge to avoid overcharging the battery!
- You can easily disassemble this toothbrush: just arm yourself with a small adjustable wrench or universal pliers, disassemble the brush, take the plastic part under the brush, near the body of the brush, and turn the base of the brush in the direction of unscrewing a nut! Everything comes next, hanging on the base of the brush!
- Cordially !

Yes, thank you, I have to do this soon on an ultrasonic ... NiMh (Sanitas or something like that)
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 14/08/16, 21:32

„„ How do you solder on NiMh battery cylinders, it's not easy ...!
Silver solder? ““

- No: simply scrape the two ends of the battery a little, make a small spot of solder to avoid overheating it and solder 2 wires or the plates of the old battery! Liquid stripper can be successfully used for welding on aluminum.
„„ Yes, thank you, I have to do this soon on an ultrasound ... NiMh (Sanitas or something like that) ““
- Ah there, by cons, I do not know! It's up to you to see how you can take this apart!
- @ +!
0 x