Conversion of an old wardrobe in oil tank

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Conversion of an old wardrobe in oil tank

by Ahmed » 09/06/16, 08:46

Transformation of an oil tank into a storage cabinet:
DSCF0201.JPG

I present it before painting because the interventions are more visible.
I must first warn against the danger of explosion when cutting: residual gases are extremely dangerous and this tank has been entirely cut with a manual tool (piece of metal band saw blade inserted in a wooden handle). It's slow (we're in no hurry! 8) ), but harmless ... It is absolutely necessary to give up the use of grinder, torch or plasma.
The settling sludge was neutralized by mixing it with sawdust (the product was then diluted in clean sawdust, packed in small paper bags and burned in a wood stove).
Technically, the cut edges have been reinforced with angles on the tank side and flat bars on the "door" side. The hinges come from hinges recovered from old shutters ... The handle (not very visible on the photo) is the reincarnation of a tractor lift arm adjustment lever. The upper openings have been sealed with metal rounds ... The bottom will be lined with planks, which will dispense with cleaning with detergents and compensate for the overhang at the bottom, the cutout having left the lower angle to preserve its rigidity. .

If that can give ideas! : Wink:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Flytox

Re: Direct Recycling Ideas

by Flytox » 09/06/16, 23:07

Ahmed wrote:Transformation of an oil tank into a storage cabinet:
DSCF0201.JPG
I present it before painting because the interventions are more visible.
I must first warn against the danger of explosion when cutting: residual gases are extremely dangerous and this tank has been entirely cut with a manual tool (piece of metal band saw blade inserted in a wooden handle). It's slow (we're in no hurry! 8) ), but harmless ... It is absolutely necessary to give up the use of grinder, torch or plasma.
The settling sludge was neutralized by mixing it with sawdust (the product was then diluted in clean sawdust, packed in small paper bags and burned in a wood stove).
Technically, the cut edges have been reinforced with angles on the tank side and flat bars on the "door" side. The hinges come from hinges recovered from old shutters ... The handle (not very visible on the photo) is the reincarnation of a tractor lift arm adjustment lever. The upper openings have been sealed with metal rounds ... The bottom will be lined with planks, which will dispense with cleaning with detergents and compensate for the overhang at the bottom, the cutout having left the lower angle to preserve its rigidity. .

If that can give ideas! : Wink:

You can also fill it with a fleet so that you can safely cut it with a grinder.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Direct Recycling Ideas

by Ahmed » 09/06/16, 23:30

Certainly, but what to do with all this polluted water?
If you want to quickly cut a tank, you must inert it * and use a nibbler (a kind of portable punching machine that does not generate sparks). I do not know how to proceed with inerting in a simple and safe way (knowing that we are not entitled to error).
I do have a few leads on this subject, but without absolute certainty, so I would avoid mentioning them. If anyone has documented ideas?

* In this case, make it impossible to form an explosive gas mixture. More generally, prevent any form of deterioration by an element likely to be present, such as for example oxidation by oxygen.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Transformation of an old oil tank into a cabinet

by Macro » 10/06/16, 10:11

To blow up a tank that has only contained fuel by cutting it with a grinder, you have to go ... You can believe me it is an itervention that I do regularly at my job ... The most reasonable being of course cut with a saw (a metal blade on a jigsaw it goes very well) The sparks that you could generate with a jigsaw or a nibbler can ignite the fuel only if you bring it to more than 56 ° C. Likewise, a cigarette butt thrown into a bucket of diesel fuel will go out before igniting it ... Even try it with a sheet of flaming paper.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/06/16, 10:24

Good idea to make a robust safety cabinet at a lower cost!

Yes Marco the risk with fuel oil is moderate (especially the vapors ... which have nothing to do with those of petrol) but a metal tank which stays in the dodder in summer can very well rise to 56 ° C .. .so be careful all the same.

The concern with this reuse, will rather be the smell that will remain for years ... What do you plan to store Ahmed? Have you solved this problem?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/06/16, 11:41

It's cool the idea :D (and when the cabinet is in disorder it is enough to open the purge valve, should be patented ... : Cheesy:)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/06/16, 12:17

I know that liquid fuel oil is non-flammable: a match thrown in this liquid makes pschittt ... and goes out, but it is not the same for the vapors which can, at certain concentrations, explode at the slightest spark. To be convinced, just put a little of this fuel in an old tin can, shake everything, empty the liquid and present a flame ...
I do not understand the expression "moderate risks": if it is not certain to cause an explosion, when it does, the consequences are not moderate! : roll:

As for the odor, once the front was cut, and the bottom cleaned, it quickly diminished. Anyway, it is to store outdoor club equipment and there will be no contact with the bottom (since there will be a wooden floor); all this in replacement of a plastic cabinet which quickly disintegrated and which lets the mice come to make holes in the equipment.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/06/16, 13:18

Given the biodiversity that reigns in this area, no wonder for mice : Wink:
Above all, do not cut the nettles : Lol:
Ahmed wrote: Anyway, it's for storing outdoor club equipment
Team spirit for hand saw cutting 8)
Last edited by izentrop the 10 / 06 / 16, 13: 22, 1 edited once.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/06/16, 13:21

You have to consider manual cutting as a sporting practice and, from this point of view, I was very selfish! 8)
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"