plastic bottles recycling PET thermal solar panel

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Christophe

plastic bottles recycling PET thermal solar panel

by Christophe » 26/03/16, 14:56

A cool idea: reuse old PET bottles in solar thermal panels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDgXrpRlTU

Flat: the pressure will necessarily be limited and what about sustainability?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Recycling of PVC plastic bottles in solar thermal panels

by chatelot16 » 26/03/16, 19:11

first of all there are no more pvc bottles: these were the old mineral water bottles, the ones that quickly became brittle with the sun ... fortunately now all the bottles are made of PET with a fairly long shelf life in the sun

deuxio I don't understand how its sensor works: if the bottles are simply filled with clear water the sun will pass through without heating much
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 26/03/16, 19:56

no the bottles are not filled with water they only serve as glass: there is a pipe inside, what?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/03/16, 20:55

It must be a black "socarex" type pipe which is connected to each entry / exit tee of the mini tunnels made up of these stacks of bottles ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/03/16, 13:39

chatelot16 wrote:first of all there are no more pvc bottles: these were the old mineral water bottles, the ones that quickly became brittle with the sun ... fortunately now all the bottles are made of PET with a fairly long shelf life in the sun

Of course ... slip, I don't know why I wrote PVC instead of PET, maybe because of the PVC pipes in the video?
In short I corrected the title!
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 27/03/16, 13:50

The bottles therefore serve as a sort of mini greenhouse around the pipe in which the water is heated and circulates.

On the technical side, does the cylindrical shape of the bottles provide an advantage in terms of heating, in comparison for example, to a simple flat glass or pvc window covering the pipe?

I was considering making a similar system using large reformed bay windows (therefore also recycling) to cover the heat transfer pipe type PE food pipe wound in a spiral or making a coil on a black plate.

Do you think it's better or worse? ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/03/16, 14:08

Grelinette wrote:On the technical side, does the cylindrical shape of the bottles provide an advantage in terms of heating, in comparison for example, to a simple flat glass or pvc window covering the pipe?

1) No PVC with solar: it destroys UV as said above (sorry I was wrong in the title of the subject ...), UV resistant consumer plastics are PET and Polycarbonate, moreover the latter which is found in a flat version for roofs of verandas or greenhouses.

Look at the greenhouse that I renovated a few years ago: Refit-real-work / renovation-of-our-greenhouse-a-plate-of-pvc-corrugated-t7461.html

The original corrugated sheets were in PVC (maybe the modern ones are additive to make them more resistant, but these, 30 years old, were tarnished and very brittle), I put recovery frames and Polycarbonate roof ...

2) The use of bottle joins the principle of vacuum sensors, so yes there is a physical advantage, provided with a reflective surface behind the bottles, see the small diagram of this message: Solar-thermal / change-of-sensor-solar-planes-or-tubes vacuum-t4998-90.html # p300712

A long debate between the 2 types of panels had been done here: Solar-thermal / change-of-sensor-solar-planes or tubes-vacuum-t4998.html

3) And I just saw that there was already a topic on solar collectors in plastic bottles: Solar-thermal / solar-thermal sensor-in-bottle-plastic-t9223.html complementary to it therefore ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Recycling plastic bottles PET thermal solar panel

by Ahmed » 27/03/16, 14:13

It's more about reuse than recycling as we understand it now ...
I think that a flat glazing will be more effective than this cylindrical covering (less losses), but in the example of the video, it is about locally available materials and which work under more generous latitudes in term of sunshine .

In response to the post by Christophe sent during the writing of this one:
The vacuum tubes, thanks to this sophisticated configuration, solve the question of insulation; in addition, they achieve good performance due to very specific rear reflectors, so this is not comparable to a classic and simple design of a flat sensor.
Last edited by Ahmed the 27 / 03 / 16, 14: 20, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/03/16, 14:17

Grelinette wrote:I was considering making a similar system using large reformed bay windows (therefore also recycling) to cover the heat transfer pipe type PE food pipe wound in a spiral or making a coil on a black plate.

Do you think it's better or worse? ...

In terms of sun, I have always advocated (and I think I am right ...) the following thing: favor the surface over the yield!

For the same cost (human and financial) if you can make 2 times more surface rather than better yield, you must choose the surface!

Because 2 m² of "basic" solar panels at 60% efficiency (rare are the glazed panels which are under 60% efficiency) will provide more energy (over the year) than 1m² of vacuum tubes at 90% yield ..

Obviously it also depends on the context (installable surface, available materials, desired design ...) ...

ps: some use old aluminum radiators painted black and cut in 2 crosswise ... this is a good method of recovery
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Recycling plastic bottles PET thermal solar panel

by chatelot16 » 27/03/16, 14:27

this kind of sensor has an advantage in hot countries: with the pipes facing north south, the power is constant all day long: the collecting surface is the surface of the pipes, therefore the same all day long

this system is not as good as a flat sensor if you are looking for maximum performance but can avoid overheating at noon and better distribute the power throughout the day
0 x