Recharge his batteries nicd cold load = better?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Recharge his batteries nicd cold load = better?

by Christophe » 11/03/10, 22:50

Yesterday I put in charge, a little by chance, a 12V screwdriver outside (that is to say that I made a charge "at low T °" because it freezes) and it gave me seemed that the charge was more efficient than when I carried it out at ambient temperature indoors.

Lower loading time, more torque at the end of the charge and above all better autonomy today (I use the screwdriver outside, that is to say also when cold).

It is a B&D screwdriver with Nickel Cadium battery purchased in 2005.

Have I dreamed or are my impressions based?

: Idea: :?:

I just know that a lead acid battery has an optimal operating point (discharge) at 19 ° C.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 12/03/10, 08:08

the nicad is less efficient in cold weather but on the other hand, the charger, if it is temperature compensated, performs a higher final voltage charge in cold weather. This can therefore artificially "boost" the battery especially if you accumulate by charging in the cold and using in the hot.
0 x
Click my signature
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 12/03/10, 09:05

+1 many chargers (or battery packs) include a temperature sensor to protect the battery.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/03/10, 09:41

OK Dirk it probably comes from this then: longer charge because sensor "shunted" on the other hand I also used it in the cold but it was not freezing.

On this model, I have no idea how the charge stops automatically (if it stops).

The screwdriver in question is already a few years old, the coaxial of the mains charger (a ferric transformer + rectifier) ​​plugs directly into the bottom of the handle.

There is no charge indication LED.
0 x