LED ceiling light on kitchen worktops

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
stein42
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

LED ceiling light on kitchen worktops

by stein42 » 27/02/10, 18:29

Good evening everyone

We are building our house and we would like to install LED ceiling lights in the kitchen above the worktop.
We asked the electrician because he offers quality products (a US brand that I can not remember the name).
We received his quote is not given, so we hesitate ...

Could you give us your opinion on the following points:
- is it wise to install it from the beginning or better to wait to install the kitchen?
- we have a work plan of 4m40 of length. Do you think 5 LED ceiling lights do that too much (or not enough)?
- how far from the wall should they be installed?

Thank you in advance for your answers
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 27/02/10, 18:41

Not convinced at all!

Lighting requires study and electricians are not trained for that, usually.

Already, illuminating a worktop over a wide meter requires 2 X 35 concentrated halo watts (12 °) for 3 ceiling meters or 36 w minimum fluo.
Minimum and only for the work plan.

Visual comfort has standards and it is they who must guide the study. for example, on the kitchen table, reading and crafts must be possible: min 2 X 35 watts (20 °) halo, or better 2 X 50 for ceiling at 3m. 36 fluorescent watts is livable, but the double is better.

For worktops, there are now loves ultra-thin fluo tubes, easy to hide behind a frieze placed under the furniture.

So, unless your electrician can take you to see a kitchen demo, have your lighting study based on the flow required on different plans. Large wholesalers have lighting technicians.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
stein42
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by stein42 » 27/02/10, 19:01

Thank you for your answer elephant confirms what I thought ...

If we wait to install these lights, it will still have to make reservations and switches no?
0 x
Taism
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Taism » 28/02/10, 09:07

Unless I have very very good quality lighting (CRI> 90) which is quite rare, personally I would never put LEDs in my kitchen. If there is one room in which IRC is important, it is the kitchen, especially on the worktop.
0 x
stein42
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by stein42 » 28/02/10, 09:31

What is the IRC?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/02/10, 09:31

Yes it takes a white lighting for the kitchen is better but some do not support it too much (many people think that the sunlight is yellow ...)

Some LED bulbs, very white, can have a very good CRI ...

2 examples in MR16:
https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoule- ... p-223.html
https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoule- ... p-316.html

If not that kind oflight bulbs in solar light works well in the kitchen (with neon lights too)
0 x
Taism
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Taism » 28/02/10, 10:18

stein42 wrote:What is the IRC?

Color rendering index, roughly the higher the index (max 100: sun, incandescent, halogen) the more the perceived colors will be "true", which in my opinion is quite important on a kitchen worktop.

An example, if you take a lemon under lighting with a irc 100 it will appear bright yellow, with an irc of 50 it will appear to you greyish yellow.

As for the color of the lighting it depends mainly on the tastes of each one, but it is necessary to be careful because it is very variable according to the power of the source of lighting:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/02/10, 10:25

stein42 wrote:What is the IRC?

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indice_de_ ... e_couleurs

Since 2009, white LEDs (light emitting diodes) reach the 85 IRC and thus become more suitable for lighting. The first white LEDs were dominated by their blue LEDs used to pump their yellow-emitting phosphors and had only one IRC from 70 to 80.
0 x
stein42
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by stein42 » 28/02/10, 17:06

Thank you all for your answers that tend to fill my ignorance ...

I think we will wait before choosing the lighting of the kitchen worktop even if we are certain that we want to put something there.
We will ask the elec to put a reservation but should we ask something specific if after we go on neon or LED?
0 x