NiCd charger compatibility question to NiMh?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

NiCd charger compatibility question to NiMh?

by Macro » 15/02/10, 13:27

Here is failing to resign myself to throw and buy a complete screwdriver I looked for and find a supplier of adaptable batteries on the net.

The battery offered for my screwdriver is this one: aboutbatteries.com/index.php?Produit=226161&ap=1

My concern is that this battery is a NI-MH while those of origin of my machine were Ni Cd ... I wanted to know if my original charger would be compatible for this battery or if I have to buy another ... (in this case it would be better to re-buy a complete screwdriver but I don't like to throw especially since it didn't work this machine much).

Thank you for your informed opinions ...
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 15/02/10, 14:56

The problem with cordless drills / screwdrivers is that the batteries last a short time, it's not usually the use that kills them, but the age ... and the manufacturers take great pleasure in modify the batteries from generation to generation so that they are not compatible ... generic batteries, often Chinese, generally last much less long ...
I threw away a cordless drill and I pulled out the grandfather's crank spin, over 50 years old: to pierce it also works, even in metal, just a little more tiring ... To screw, the grandfather had a crankshaft ... certainly in the corners it does not work, but when it is accessible it is very effective ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/02/10, 16:58

A priori no big difference on the load: http://www.ni-cd.net/accusphp/theorie/nickel/charge.php

Nickel rechargeable batteries must be charged at constant current at a minimum available voltage of at least 1,45 V (Ni-Cd) to 1,6V (Ni-MH) per cell. Below this minimum voltage the battery will not fully charge.

I do not know what is the voltage of your charger but generally as it is "doped" (I have a Chinese thing which charges NiCD 14V under 22 V) it should be ok for the nimh

http://www.ni-cd.net/accusphp/theorie/n ... itions.php

A notable difference between NiCd and NiMh is:

A Ni-Cd battery cell must be stored Discharged.
A Ni-MH battery cell must be stored Charged.
0 x
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 15/02/10, 17:24

to know :
if your charger does not exceed the charge current of your battery, you are likely to be compatible
what is harmful is the charge too fast and too strong in intensity which will overheat your battery and risk of destruction
if your battery is capable of delivering 5 amperes, you can theoretically recharge it under 5 amperes, but it is better to charge it longer under 3 A

to know also only the current counts

as an example: I charge batteries with a 24 volt 200 A charger
if I have a 6 volt battery, with an alternostat (generator of variable voltage from 10 to 240 volts) I feed my charger and I adjust my output voltage so that the charging current does not exceed that which my battery supports (a max of 10 A) for this I obviously need a voltmeter and an amperemeter of control
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 15/02/10, 18:02

Charging a Ni-Mh battery requires a specific charge processor. They should not be charged with a charger which is not explicitly intended for.
Chargers compatible with both include a battery technology selector.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/02/10, 18:05

How does a € 20 battery charger that does NiCd and NiMh detect the difference (if it detects it?)

I do not think that the Chinese screwdrivers have intelligent chargers ... well we understand pkoi the life of the batteries is so short : Cheesy:

ps: not long ago I had a DeWalt 14.4 NiMh in my hands ... the cow is torquey ... Nothing to do with the B&D that I have ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 15/02/10, 18:09

Precisely, the battery chargers do not detect the difference, on those which are a serious minimum there is a selector NiCd / NiMH
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 15/02/10, 18:12

Christophe wrote:hands ... the cow is torquey ... Nothing to do with the B&D that I have ...

B&D is "handyman" stuff (in the most pejorative sense of the term) the kind of tool you leave in the closet and never take out.
In addition the playskool look of their tools shows that it is not tools that they make, but toys. : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/02/10, 18:12

Mmmm are you sure there is no detection?
For example on this kind of charger: https://www.econologie.com/shop/chargeur ... p-186.html a diagnosis is made before charging ...

If you put a non-rechargeable battery it will not force the charge.
So he does a test well. But does it make the difference between NiCd and NiMh? I don't know ... in any case it charges (well) the 2 types like 99% of recent chargers ...

It would not be in case of fast charge that it is absolutely necessary to make a distinction?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 15/02/10, 18:20

Ah well there I don't know. I see 2 solutions:
- There is indeed a way to detect battery technology.
- They found a charge algorithm that is suitable for both technologies.

There was a not too badly done site dedicated to batteries which explained a lot of tips. Should I try to find it, maybe they explain the technological progress on this side.
0 x