Free GPS navigation or open source PC software?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Free GPS navigation or open source PC software?

by Christophe » 04/06/09, 13:46

I am looking for free navigation software for windows to test the instant navigation mode of the USB GPS receiver that we have just returned. We offer it not for the navigation mode (we find it everywhere) but especially for the "recording without pc" mode which allows you to do a lot of interesting stuff starting with statistics and calibration of distances covered! A bit like the T ° recording USB key.

Example of my 1st recording:

Does kk1 use one or know a name? Apparently it does not run the streets ... (logical because the software is generally included in the GPS or supplied with the USB GPS unit) ...
0 x
fthanron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fthanron » 04/06/09, 14:51

0 x
Frederic
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/06/09, 16:41

Ah thank you I will test all this!

Trackmaker looks good!

Navit I had already found but I found not very user-friendly!

OpenGTS I had also seen: does it also direct navigation or is it fleet tracking a posteriori?

Now in use in over 50 countries, the "Open GPS Tracking System" (OpenGTS ™) is the first available open source project designed specifically to provide web-based GPS tracking services for a "fleet" of vehicles.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/06/09, 17:22

I saw, I downloaded, I tested and I understood nothing : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/06/09, 11:56

I just saw that Google Earth now offers free live GPS tracking, well it does not help navigation (unless there is a plugin) but in any case it works, unlike all the other free tools that I tried to test!

It is therefore available for free from version 5.0. * Of GE (before the function was reserved for the more paying version of GE)
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 08/06/09, 16:02

: Arrow: I did not look at the links proposed by fthanron.
But I know that there are already products offering recording functions with graph editing similar to the ones you show us.

I know sportspeople (mountain bikers or hikers) who use them to visualize the details of their outings: distances, time, and above all, elevation differences.

I am looking for a product of this type to develop with a member of the forum (currently very busy organizing a mountain event), a data recording system on board electric vehicles.
The project consists of juxtaposing GPS data of this type with vehicle operating data (kWh, A, V, ...)

Since the VE operating data recording module is provided on a data logger equipped with an SD Card and a USB port ... It could do that.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/06/09, 16:27

Ben the links there is nothing that works the I got U ... well I did not seek to deepen. The software is pretty ... experimental if you know what I mean. But with Google Earth it worked the first time!

In the notice also say that it is compatible with 3D Google Map; I had never heard apparently it is a google earth plugin ???

I think this logger could very well meet your request: it does not need a USB port to work since it is completely autonomous during the recording phase (like those of athletes). I will emphasize the above in on the product sheet.

I think that the best to process the data according to what you want is to use the raw data (export .csv) in a "personal" spreadsheet ...

Here is an example of export (corresponding to the 1st points of the example above):

Don't ask me what it is TYPE and ESSENTIAL because I don't know!
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 08/06/09, 18:16

What made me smile when I saw your post right now is that when I received your email info, I directly wondered if we could use a PC with your machine, but my faculties were declining, I did not find anything great (except those you indicate above) ....

What about the possibility of using a GPS antenna (a receiver) simultaneously with a laptop?

If it were feasible we would almost no longer need maps to explore a place in detail ...

Thank you for this very interesting thread and ...

Miawww
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 08/06/09, 18:41

Christophe wrote: Ben the links there is nothing that works the I got U ... well I did not seek to deepen. The software is pretty ... experimental if you know what I mean. But with Google Earth it worked the first time!

In the notice also say that it is compatible with 3D Google Map; I had never heard apparently it is a google earth plugin ???

we are at version 5 and yes it is a plug in which allows you to see the buildings and certain buildings of interest in relief on the map ...
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/06/09, 18:44

Well that's what I'm trying to do: it works but you have to find the right free software.

Google Earth is one, but it doesn't navigate.

Lietseu, to sum up what GPS receiver GT120 IgotU allows:

a) record GPS coordinates WITHOUT PC (altitude included) and make speed position calculations. The processing of the information will be done a posteriori via a PC with the software provided which also allows the export in raw data format!

b) to operate on PC (via usb) as a GPS RECEIVER plugged into a PC. But in this case you need GPS navigation software. Apart from Google Earth I have not found a free one yet and GE does not allow driver assistance.

Function a) allows you to follow your wife in all discretion, as long as she does not see the device in her bag (it is 4cm high)!
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 06 / 09, 18: 48, 1 edited once.
0 x