New LED bulbs

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
candas1
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

New LED bulbs

by candas1 » 30/01/09, 11:40

Let there be light and there be light. Researchers at the University of Cambridge have developed a $ 3 LED bulb that is 12 times more efficient than a conventional incandescent lamp, three times more efficient than energy-saving bulbs. The LED lights up instantly and has a lifespan of 100 hours, or 000 and a half years if on continuously.

This bright discovery could reduce the electricity bill of a three-quarters home. In fact, if the whole world replaced its light bulbs with these LEDs, the proportion of electricity consumption to light would change from 20 to 5%.

The researchers made sure not to use any toxic materials, such as lead: the new LEDs use Gallium Nitride (for the radiating nanofilament), which until then had a fortune to obtain because it had to push on sapphire patties which amounted to producing bulbs for 28 $ each.

The new method, developed by the University of Cambridge Center for Gallium Nitride, uses silicon wafers, reducing the cost of producing a single-piece 3 bulb. And what we particularly like is that the future of these little wonders is close: prototypes are already in production and superLED could invade the market by only 2 years.

http://www.gizmodo.fr/2009/01/30/fiat-l ... 2-ans.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/01/09, 11:46

We must beware of this kind of "laboratory" announcements because there is a difference between the announced and the actual info for the customers. It is not because the cost of production is divided that the final sales price to the customer will be, the difference goes into the pocket of manufacturers (a lot), wholesalers (a little to a lot) and retailers (very little in fact because they are dependent on the wholesalers with respect to the prices of the competition) ... It will simply be a better "financially" speaking product with more comfortable margins.

Indeed; there is strictly no sense (commercial) to sell a cheaper product better?

Another downside: every 6 months we "find" miraculous solar cells but on the market we use technology that is 50 years old ... or almost ...
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 01 / 09, 16: 36, 2 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/01/09, 13:46

+ 1 :D ,
it's like laundry products: what should the laundry be gray in the 50 years!
(I must say that I saw my mother "whitewash on the meadow" until the mid-sixties :D )
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
selenafroisade

Re: New LED bulbs

by selenafroisade » 27/03/16, 16:56

The lightbulbs https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoules-led-c-90 are good, I have some at home but there are some recommendations to well applied. To limit the risks associated with the blue spectrum of LEDs, which is toxic for the retina, prefer blisters with an opaque glass. If the LED is visible, put it in a lamp with shades or non-transparent walls. Thus the spectrum of blue light will be more diffuse. If you do not have a light filter (lampshade ...), place the bulb more than a meter away. Same device for spots or other lamps whose luminous flux is directed.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: New LED bulbs

by Ahmed » 27/03/16, 18:14

... prefer the bulbs with an opaque glass.

Sure that with an opaque glass there is no risk! : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."