Ohm? Resistance with dimmer

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
faumel
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Ohm? Resistance with dimmer

by faumel » 23/10/08, 22:01

Hello,

How many ohms for a 230volts 3watt resistor?

In principle, with a Dimmer you don't use a low-energy bulb.

But I have no choice and especially with the end of the incandescent bulb, there must be a solution.

So I think you need a resistive load (resistance) of 3w or 4w that I connect in parallel to the bulb. In order to give enough power to the mini of the dimmer for a good start to light the low consumption bulb and especially not to decrease the life of the bulb.

How many Ohms do you recommend for a 3w resistor with 230v without too much heating? Because the amperage of low energy bulbs are never identical to each other.

Thank you because my notions in electricity are limited to U = RxI

PS: This resistance limits a minimum power, therefore a minimum consumption.
My dimmers deliver a mini that is too weak and risks reducing the lifespan of low-consumption light bulbs (flashing at minimum).
So a 3w resistive load reduced in ohm will not create too much loss.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 23/10/08, 22:20

Fauvel
Good evening and welcome to you
Ah damn ! I no longer thought about that.
At home, I bought a dozen Legrand 300W sensitive dimmers, eight of which are still in operation.

And it would be a shame to "throw them away", because they will no longer be suitable for low consumption lamps!

: Evil:
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 23/10/08, 23:51

I strictly answer the question asked:

P = U x I and U = R x I

From the 2nd formula we leave I: I = U / R

We replace the I of the 1st formula: P = U x U / R

So R = U x U / P

So R = 230 x 230/3 = 17633ohms, so 18Kohms.

I have not really understood what you want to do with this, but a low energy bulb is not at all intended to be mounted on a dimmer.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/10/08, 23:57

gegyx wrote:And it would be a shame to "throw them away", because they will no longer be suitable for low consumption lamps!

nlc wrote:a low consumption bulb is not at all intended to be mounted on a dimmer.

The first 2 on this page are compatible with voltage variators and vary continuously: economic and LED bulbs

The 3rd varies by level without dimmer (tip with on / off)

ps:
I didn't really understand what you want to do with this

+1
Last edited by Christophe the 16 / 12 / 14, 21: 58, 1 edited once.
0 x
faumel
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by faumel » 24/10/08, 09:35

Hello,

My goal is to vary my low-consumption bulb from a minimum power controlled by the resistance in // to: idea: from a command by module Dimmer or dimmer of my elec board (I have 9 dimmer in my board at this day).
Because all low-consumption light bulbs need to start its ignition with a minimum power.

A poor ignition start on a low-consumption bulb greatly shortens its lifespan. In addition it avoids having the flickers of the bulb (visible in the dark of the room) for those who like me have electronic dimmers which leave residual current in the electrical circuit of the house (all my power wires and communications are shielded against the magnetic field).

PS: Thanks to nlc.
But 18Kohms for a resistance of 3w in 230v, I think that cala is too much and it will heat what is not my goal (but I do not know anything about it, then mea-culpa if I am wrong).
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 24/10/08, 09:42

Putting a resistor in parallel with the bulb will not change anything at all, at power up there will be a minimum voltage on the bulb for it to start. The resistor will only draw more current from the dimmer but will not change anything on the side of the bulb.

And the resistance of 18kohms of 3W will dissipate ..... 3W, so yes it will be 3W of heat only!
0 x
gregdu13250
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gregdu13250 » 25/10/08, 16:16

Outside, in winter, my compact fluorescent lamps only light up at 50% of their possibility and light up a kind of pink hue, I think that the incandescence will still be used outside in places where it is cold .
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"