Outlook Express: Remove message compression

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Outlook Express: Remove message compression

by Christophe » 01/09/08, 13:30

Everything is in the title: how to remove this shit that induces a risk of loss of message?

It appears every 100 Outlook shutdowns, it didn't bother me if this crap only compressed new messages but it seems to recompress everything so PC unusable for 5 minutes !! : Evil: And gives me 2 or 3 error windows during compression (directory used by ... outlook express).

I knew I should have stayed under 2000 ...

1) I had found something to do in the registry (Check Check Count to set to 0) what I did but apparently it doesn't work: it's kif kif bouriko!

2) So I test this:

Step 1: Show hidden files and folders

Double-click the My Computer icon, then, in the window that opens, click Tools and Folder Options ... In the next window, select the View tab and, in the next window, select Show hidden files and folders option and click OK.

Step 2: Find your ID number

Go back to My Computer, and successively double-click on C; Documents and Settings; Your username ; Local Settings; Application Data and Identities. In the window that follows, write down the name of the alphanumeric folder for your email identity, which you will need to type in the VBS file. For example: {BI122C20-A660-12D7-9CID-B75F3728B97E}.

Step 3 Type the command lines

1 Click Start, then point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and click Notepad. In the window that appears, and respecting the spaces represented here by a point, type the following command lines and press the Enter key on the keyboard after each point.

code: Select all

Set*WshShell* = *WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")* With*WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") On*Error*Resume*Next* .RegDelete*"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Identities\{BI122C20-A660-12D7-9CID-B75F3728B97E}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook*Express\5.0\Compact*Check*Count"* End*with* Mybox*=*MsgBox("Le*compteur*a*été*remis*à*zéro")*

2 Then click File, then click Save. In the window that is displayed, give a name to this file without forgetting to give it the extension .vbs, for example Reset Outlook counter.vbs (you must not leave the mention.txt in this name ) and click Save. All you have to do is double-click on this file to reset the counter to zero and get no more messages.

Found here: http://www.01net.com/editorial/358990/o ... e-retour-/

I'm testing and I'll give you the answer in ten days ...

Edit: solution here
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 06 / 09, 14: 47, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/09/08, 13:41

It does not work !

Synthase error line 1 character ... 4!

Anything these explanations ...

If kk1 knows about editing databases via a .vbs? Thank you..
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 01/09/08, 14:11

Your script here is only going to delete a line in the registry, I think it would be easier to go and delete it directly.

you go to Start, Run, you type regedit, OK

You follow the tree below, replacing the stars with the code found in step 2 that you described above.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Identities \ **** \ Software \ Microsoft \ Outlook Express \ 5.0 \

and you delete the key: "Compact Check Count"

Now I can't make sure this works, I use Thunderbird, but that's what the script you found does.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/09/08, 15:09

Yes that's what I thought I had guessed but is there nothing else?

Jve say: erasing an entry from the base to register is risk to screw everything up right?
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 01/09/08, 15:25

No not necessarily, here the key you are going to delete will just remove the option that displays the message in Outlook Express I suppose.
At worst, if that messes up Outlook Express, you will recreate the key.

The registry is more or less the equivalent of configuration files found on Unix systems or old programs. And there are often quite a few options for certain programs which are not accessible via the preferences of the program itself but which can be found in the BDR.

Anyway, don't worry, you won't screw up your Windows, anyway the key I told you to delete would have been if the script had worked.
0 x
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 02/09/08, 21:19

Using another email software, a real one, like Thunderbird, is a wise solution :-)
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 03/09/08, 00:21

I simply do "Cancel" when he asks me the question and that's it ... 8)
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 04/09/08, 15:19

for the script to work, you have to replace the * with spaces.

if not, use mozilla thunderbird, even better!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/09/08, 23:34

I transferred the key it does not WORK because Outlook recreates one on the spot !! : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
yahi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by yahi » 27/09/08, 00:02

returns to Win2k!

:?

yahi
0 x
When will we have the right to stop using oil?
Free object!

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"