electronic ballast fluorescent tubes

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

electronic ballast fluorescent tubes

by I Citro » 05/04/08, 00:58

: Arrow: My cooking tube toasted for the 2th time in a few years.
I replaced it but considering the age of the ferromagnetic ballast (30ans), it will be wise, to replace the ballast or the complete set by more efficient equipment (electronic ballast).

There is now a standard for the energy efficiency of so-called "neon" tubes (which do not contain neon).

The energy yields can be summarized by the ratio between the power of the tube, and the power lost in the Ferro Magnetic ballast.
- Class D: 9W or more for 36W, ie 25% or more (prohibited since 2003)
- Class C: 9W or less for 36W, ie 25% or less (prohibited from 2005)
- B2 class: 7W or less for 36W, or 19,4% or less
- B1 class: 5W or less for 36W, or 14% or less

For electronic ballasts, it is a little different, since a tube fed with HF needs less power than 50HZ for the same work. Thus, an 36W in 50Hz will only consume 32 to 34W with an electronic ballast.

- A3 class: 6W or less for 32W, or 19% or less
- A2 class: 4W or less for 32W, or 12,5% or less

The evolutions on these equipments concern the tubes whose yield has increased while their size and diameter diminished, but also concerns the electronic control which has improved the performances, the comfort of use (flickering removed, reduced ignition time ) and longevity doubled.

The frequencies of use are no longer in 50 or 100Hz but higher than 15KHz and beyond 25Khz the efficiency goes up again.
There are now ballasts to more than 35KHz ...

Ignition times shorter than 0.5 seconds are now possible and the operating time of 10 000 hours has been changed to 20 000 hours!
: Idea:

My problem: the advertised prices are 10 times higher (about 45 € for an EEI class ballast or CERMA: A2) and above all it is not found in the retail trade.
Finally, it is the same on the complete sets proposed, none are equipped with electronic ballasts, no standard is clearly displayed ... : Evil:
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 05/04/08, 09:47

Astonishing and interesting: thank you for this info citro!
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 06/04/08, 00:15

: Arrow: The tubes are designated by their diameter, this one is "coded" by the professionals in 1 / 8th of an inch.
If the T12 (12 / 8ème inch, 1 1 / 2 or 38mm) have almost disappeared, the T8 (8 / 8ème inch, 1pouce or 25mm) will increasingly give way to T5, 16mm whose performance is superior and more profitable for manufacturers (less material, weight ...).
0 x
matthew
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by matthew » 06/04/08, 12:53

I suppose that you already had to inform you at Rexell (formerly Omnium), Bdx, Quai de la Souys ... They have a lot of ref. in stock or on catalog. After level advice, to see ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 06/04/08, 22:52

matthieu wrote:I suppose that you already had to inform you at Rexell (formerly Omnium), Bdx, Quai de la Souys ... They have a lot of ref. in stock or on catalog. After level advice, to see ...

I spent Friday at the Rexell agency in Pessac, near my job, the Floirac agency, near my home, Quai de la Souys closed several years ago.
They have some on catalog; in Osram and VS (Vossloh Schwabe) but nothing available ...
For technical data and advice, I knew more than they ... :|
For the prices, they start at 45 € TTC. :| it's not given!
I think I'm going to get the sellers online ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/04/08, 23:12

These are still really incredible prices! When we know the wholesale prices!
Effectively electronic ballasts consume less because they work in switching, therefore, less heat loss.
But still the difference in price compared to a good old ferromagnetic 15 euros, must do!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/04/08, 13:32

: Arrow: Good finally, I found on ebay france 31 €. 8)

As soon as I receive them, I edit with the PM230, just to put "user" figures online. : Mrgreen:
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 16/04/08, 00:36

: Arrow: So here are the first results of tests done with the same 36W tube T8 of 1200mm long :

In the running 2 1990 and 2003 ferro magnetic ballasts and an electronic ballast that I just found nine on the net.

Measurements made with the PM230 are uplifting
: Shock:

In addition to the immediate lighting, the more powerful lighting (not measured, I do not have a luxmeter), the longevity of the tubes doubled (according to the manufacturers), the cos phi, the current and the power provide the proof of excellent performance. : Mrgreen:

47% losses with GTE ballast fall within 5% with LCI electronic model 8)

I would later make measurements on OSRAM Quicktronic QT40 ballast to compare 2 electronic ballasts.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 16/04/08, 00:51

elephant wrote:These are still really incredible prices! When we know the wholesale prices!
Effectively electronic ballasts consume less because they work in switching, therefore, less heat loss.
But still the difference in price compared to a good old ferromagnetic 15 euros, must do!

I was very surprised by the heat released by the ferro-magnetic during my tests. They are burning! :frown:

For the prices, to 15 € they are in gold. We find 3 or 4 €.
The first price of a 36W T8 1200 strip complete (with ferromagnetic ballast, starter AND tube) is about 4.5 € in DIY superstore.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 16/04/08, 20:02

: Arrow: Here is my last test on OSRAM electronic ballast mosquito QUICKTRONIC QT1x40 / 230-240 (model for 1 tube of 36W)

The test was carried out with the same tube (Osram new) as during the other tests and then started again with a used tube (General Electric). No measurable difference between 2 tubes.

Great brand but less flattering results ... This ballast has thousands of hours of operation, is this the reason for its lower performance than LCI ballast?
:?:
0 x