Neon Clan: visual pollution and energy savings

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Neon Clan: visual pollution and energy savings

by Christophe » 31/03/08, 11:48

Young people (econologists? Because the approach is more econological than ecological) have been cutting the neon signs of advertising signs for a few months to make the population of big cities aware of this waste of energy.

I'm writing a short story.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/03/08, 13:48

Here is new news: https://www.econologie.com/clan-du-neon- ... -3770.html

Neon clan: denouncing urban light pollution and the waste of energy on 31/03/2008 at 13:47 p.m.

In recent months, somewhat special "clans" have formed in some of the major French cities (Paris, Nantes, Caen ...).

Their goal is simple: to denounce the "abusive" use of neon signs in stores by ... turning them off.

Indeed; the neon switches are, for the most part, outside the store. All you need is a pole and / or a short ladder to access it.

A sticker is also systematically affixed on the window to warn the merchant of this peaceful and ... economic action!

Their goal is therefore to reduce light pollution caused by commercial lighting but also to educate traders about the energy savings that could result from a reduction in the duration of lighting of their sign.

Visit their official site: http://clanduneon.over-blog.com/

Video reportage: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dnzv ... -neon_news
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 31/03/08, 16:12

Amazingly, I was getting ready to post this info and this site.

There is also ALL-night lighting of cities and avenues of urban outskirts; there is a huge amount of wasted electrical energy there and in addition it disturbs the vegetation and prevents any observation of a pure sky without light pollution on the ground.

Besides, the astronauts note it well, it's nonsense, the pleasure of running nuclear and coal power plants.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 31/03/08, 17:22

There is indeed a problem, which also concerns the lighting of the windows. (Much more energy-consuming) If I remember correctly during the 1st oil shock of 1973-74, in Belgium came out a regulation which requires the stop of 22 p.m. to 8 a.m. for closed establishments.
This regulation is a bit abusive and should be extended for city centers under penalty of seeing them die and become dangerous, but still, I do not know any merchant who has received a PV.
Finally I find this action nice because frankly moderate: a boom on the safety switch.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/03/08, 17:24

Yes frankly moderate and apparently no trader has yet been bothered by their action.

On the other hand, one thing that surprises me: it is the scarcity of economical light bulbs in windows and in general stores. Most are "still" lit with halogens or conventional bulbs ... frankly when you know that most of these bulbs turn 24/24 is enough to get crazy ... you have to believe that traders like to pay charges. ..

: Shock:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 31/03/08, 17:29

many windows are lit with HQ-ITS, which are metal halide discharge lamps (very expensive: around 80 euros per bulb)
This very bright lamps consume 70 or 150 watts. for a flux equivalent to a good halogen Kilowatt.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
evin1969
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by evin1969 » 31/03/08, 20:17

As a pilot, I can tell you that when you fly at night, you can see everything from the site if you approach the Franco-Belgian border !!!

You can get to Brussels Airport by following the highways : Lol:

When we see the difference with other European countries, it is distressing.

We were told that for the sake of economy we were going to remove one light pole out of two on our national roads ...
a few months later, the works actually started: they removed all the posts from the central mast (100 meters apart each) to put one on each side of the road 200m away.
Tell me where the economy is : Lol:
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 31/03/08, 20:22

The expenses deduct them from the taxes.

I did a lot of amateur astronomy, and light pollution is a real plague.

Likewise for a romantic stroll in the moonlight, you don't want to feel like traveling to Las Vegas.

And the Eiffel Tower (which is already horrible), we don't need to let it play the earth headlights for part of the night.

Ditto for many historic monuments that could be lit more effectively.

Once again, big wastes!

To come back to the big neon lights, some make a hell of a roar of induction when we pass nearby. It would be worth it to test Christophe's toy on it (to measure the magnetic field, not to pee on it).

Pharmacies are only lit when they are open. At least we know what to expect! I find it practical. Let us only light up what is open.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 31/03/08, 21:35

Let us only light up what is open.

I do not agree. I think we have to keep a certain atmosphere in the city centers, especially for security reasons.
But cutting everything at 2 o'clock on Friday Saturday Sunday and earlier in the week seems playable to me
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 31/03/08, 22:36

Bonjour à tous

I seem to have read an article (old) saying that night lighting had been promoted (subsidized?) More or less to alleviate the problems of EDF nuclear power plants which cannot lower their minimum power too much without problems.

Reality or not, it's energy that is very stupidly used : Mrgreen:
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"