Marine power generator for sailboat

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Marine power generator for sailboat

by Chatham » 24/12/07, 11:40

To equip my future sailboat, I did some research on the modes of electricity production and I am quite surprised to find that the most efficient generator by far remains the classic diesel driving an alternator:

-a Fisher-Panda diesel group produces 1kw for 0.3L of diesel (12,24v or 240v or even 400v for use in electric diesel propulsion which, contrary to what one might think, has a good yield thanks to the very high torque at low speed of electric motors, but it's heavy ... and expensive)
-a Stirling generator (whispergen) produces 1kw (12 or 24v) with 0.94L / h of diesel (and 5.5kw thermal which we do not necessarily have the utility, but that allows to promise 90% of output (... )
-a fuel cell (Max power) produces 1kw (12v) with 1.1L of methanol (and good luck finding commercially available methanol ...)

in short, no need to break your head for the moment because alternative systems are a real eye-opener ...
Naturally, I have already taken into account the other methods: hydrogenerator (very powerful, but only works on the road and brakes a little obviously), solar panels (not easy to manage on a sailboat), wind turbine (not very powerful and does not works well with the boat stationary) ... Note that running the auxiliary propulsion engine just to produce current is a huge waste and consumes the engine enormously when working under load, that's why '' a dedicated group is much better because the engine of it runs at an optimal output speed ...
0 x
Tagor
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Marine generator set for sailboat

by Tagor » 26/12/07, 11:30

Chatham wrote:in short, no need to break your head for the moment because alternative systems are a real eye-opener ...

yes ... but ... for how long ...?
who would dare to advance forecasts?
0 x