A Green PC

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
lol.2.dol

A Green PC

by lol.2.dol » 15/07/07, 12:36

Hello everybody
I almost never post here, but there I thought I would start ..
I'll talk about Ecological PCs. There is already a lot of the ecolo label that has been created in addition to the European directives (RoHS and Weee).

In the first place, and you must know, the least consume is the laptop. In fact, a regular notebook will consume between 50 and 80% less power (depending on its characteristics) than a regular desktop and CRT monitor (Source Energy Star).
But in the jungle of laptops, you have to know how to find the right green lianne, and here you use the different eco-labels:

EPEAT (Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool), on their site there is a comparator of computer product based on ecological criteria. Next if the products meet the criteria (list available) here), the site awards them medals (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Blue Angel, is a label awarded to different types of products, including computers (criteria for PCs are here
TCO, is a Swedish label that was previously awarded only to computer screens, but now it is spread over different products. We can search the different products according to the label on this page.
Energy Star: This label is one of the oldest, many screens have received this label. The site has a search engine to find products compliant with the Energy Star label

It should be noted that in the EPEAT criteria, the Energy Star label is integrated.
At the level of Portable PCs, there are only 2 who received the EAPEAT gold medal, it's the Dell Latitude 630
Otherwise some Asus notebooks have received the TCO'99 certification, these are the models: M6, M2E, L2D, L2C. But these do not seem to be available for sale anymore.

Basically in a laptop, there are the Dell (2e ranking tied on the ranking for a High Tech Head of GreenPeace (it's worth what it's worth ...))

If you really cannot leave the comfort of your Fixed PC, the same criteria allow you to find products that are a little more "green".
According to EPEAT, only 4 Desktops, were awarded the gold medal: the Dell OptiPlex 740, the Optiplex 745 the HP rp5700 and a Zonbu brand PC (unknown to the battalion)
If you take TCO 2005 certification, there are only Dell that are rewarded, Optiplex 320 and 745.
At the Blue Angel certification level, 3 manufacturers are award-winning, CHerry (Unknown), Fujuitsu for ESPRIMO E56XX, E57XX, E59XX and P56XX, P57XX, P59XX and Maxdata Favorit 1000,3000 and 5000.

If you want a fixed PC is that you are able to mount it yourself, look to take elements that consume as little as possible, which are RoHS compliant.
For the processor, take the models intended for laptop PCs (Intel Core 2 Duo TXXXX) for example, the hard drives also take the 2,5 "models, for the graphics card take one which is cooled without a fan (heatpipe), the more important is food, find food that complies with the label 80 Plus(I advise Fotron Green Power). For screens, check to see if they meet TCO and Energy Star standards.

If your PC is planned for desktop and movie playback, you can choose a VIA motherboard with a built-in processor. The VIA processor is the least energy-intensive, complies with RoHS standards. The VIA C7-D processor is the most environmentally friendly (carbon-reduced processor).

Finally some tips, put your PC in a ventilated place, it will heat less, the fans will turn less. Turn off your PC (unplug the same). Programs such as Folding @ home, or Decrypthon, certainly have a significant scientific scope but it is at the expense of electricity consumption (you choose).

That's it, I'll add links later ..
0 x
DecIRC
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by DecIRC » 17/07/07, 15:10

I had not seen this post, so I created a new one here:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/le-pc-ecolo-t3867.html

I put the link to enable consistency in reading.

Ced
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 17/07/07, 16:31

Just a small precision, the label 80 plus is a label supposed to guarantee power supplies with a yield of more than 80%. Knowing that the best current yield should revolve around 86%.
Otherwise the manufacturer is fortron and not fotron :)
There's also Seasonic, which seems to be doing good food and is aiming for a return higher than 90% for the coming months ...
There are also quite a few other brands, which sometimes subcontract to the above 2 brands that produce good power.

Do not forget that a PC goes off, its power supply still consumes ...
Less than 5W for the best, for mine the wattmetre (PM230) indicates 26W !! (But I have a doubt about this ability to correctly measure PC power off). Likewise a LCD on standby or off can still consume near 10W according PM230!

SixK
Last edited by SixK the 17 / 07 / 07, 20: 51, 1 edited once.
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 17/07/07, 17:43

I quickly measured my turn off and my little PC speakers, nice surprises!

- the speakers, on, off, the sound low or very loud, it's always the same: 6W. : Shock:

- the tower off: if the button behind the power supply is "ON", we have 6 W of consumption. If the button is "OFF", there is still 3 W of consumption. : Shock:

I did not think I had that kind of results !!
I did well to put all these things on a power switch.

Tonight test of the tower in operation and my (very) old CRT screen.

I will also see if there is a difference between the OS (Windows and Ubuntu). It should appeal to you DecIRC and can be a topic on the forum ubuntu. I recognized you ubuntero species !! : Cheesy:
0 x
DecIRC
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by DecIRC » 17/07/07, 17:47

Since the P-IV tower has both OS and Ecolo PC too, I can also do a comparative test.
The numbers given here are for Windows Vista on the P-IV and Ubuntu on the Ecolo-PC. Because it was the OS that was running during the test.

On the other hand, do not multi-switch sockets consume?

This red glow intrigues me all the time in terms of consumption but I have not yet been able to check if it increased or not.

Cédric, Ubuntero, Ecolo
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 17/07/07, 17:53

The glow is lit only when the power goes on and must not consume much compared to the PC. If we cut the power strip, the red glow is off and therefore normally there is no conso because the circuit is open.

For OS, I will test gnome with metacity or compiz, and Win XP.
Games too to see.

To be exhaustive, my measuring instrument: The PM230 of econo (It's good, eat in)
0 x
lol.2.dol

by lol.2.dol » 17/07/07, 22:27

Very interesting this PC ecolo !!

What's more in Linux, and with a VIA C7 in ...
I will not buy my config a few days ago, I will surely have cracked for this one.

Just for granted, there will be way to have the config in detail of the beast, with all the specifications, etc ...?

Otherwise it is a C7 just proco? Why not take a C7-M ULV 779 that has a TDP of 3,5W (manufacturer data?)
or a VIA C7-D whose electricity consumption is ecologically compensated by VIA actions?

For Fortron, I just know they make GreenPower named feeds that I quote:
‧ Compliant with RoHS & WEEE environmental directives
‧ High efficiency exceeding 85% (at full load)
‧ Low power consumption on standby (<1W)
‧ Low on heavy metal compounds
‧ Reduced weight (from 2.5kg reduced to 1.9kg) for less recycling tax (EU)
‧ Environmentally friendly PSU

That's just questions for more information ... ^^

In any case well played for the PC!

edit: I do not know much about Vista (I do not like Vista, sorry).
I am a Linuxian, and from experience I know that Linux is much more configurable than Windows in terms of energy savings (very convenient when you are on battery ...).
After, I would have to test between my consumption under Gentoo and Windows XP ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/07/07, 14:37

Rulian wrote:For OS, I will test gnome with metacity or compiz, and Win XP.

FYI, my laptop (2002) consumed more (20%) under Mandriva than 2000 ...
0 x
lol.2.dol

by lol.2.dol » 28/09/07, 15:58

To lower the power consumption of PCs (under Linux!) Intel has laid a great site!
http://www.lesswatts.org/

It's worth checking out! A lot of tricks and really nice little programs (PowerTop!)

Here is advice to linuxiens and Windowsiens who would like to put themselves in Linux (Do not be afraid, there are very easy distributions of access, and in French (Kubuntu, Mandriva, Kaella, ...)!

edit: I forgot to quote the article on the PC running on solar energy:
http://www.presence-pc.com/tests/pc-solaire-22706/
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 30/01/08, 12:24

Exactly...
3 months ago, I plugged a power consumption device into my "pc assembly"
Result: with use not reasonable, and power all on while I'm in the land of dreams,
So, everything is on standby when I'm in bed (pc, printer, screen, etc ...)
The screen is lcd (abbreviation that I do not know, but which supposes less consumption)
The result is ....... :? 130 kw for + - 83 days
I find it huge, but it's Christophe's fault, which made a site that fascinates me, so I'm forgiven.
This measure of consumption was easy to achieve.
Now, I will have to make a consumption measurement when my pc is idle ... less obvious, and especially tiring.
Result ... I have to change my behavior, I'm a consumer criminal :?
0 x