Computer pollution, hi-tech and Internet

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Computer pollution, hi-tech and Internet

by Christophe » 02/07/07, 10:11

An interesting dossier published in Le Monde on the pollution of new technologies. In particular that concerning e-commerce rarely discussed.

The high-tech pollution, Le Monde, Dossier, 14 / 06 / 07

The development of the digital society generates an overconsumption of energy and a constant increase in products, materials ... and electronic waste. The rulers and the industrialists begin to take stock of the ecological cost of the new economy and act timidly. But, for the moment, it is the emerging countries and their inhabitants who are paying the price, at the risk of their environment and their health.

The visible and invisible pollution
According to the latest projections from Forrester, one billion personal computers (PC) will be in service in the world from 2008 and more than two billion by 2015. But what do we do with these mountains of screens, central units, keyboards, printers and peripherals of all kinds when obsolete or out of order?
Between 20 to 50 million tonnes of e-waste pile up around the world and this volume grows by 3 to 5% per year, according to a United Nations study in 2005. In France, we currently produce on average 25 kg of WEEE (waste electrical and electronic equipment) per year and per person. And of these 25 kg, 8% - or less than 2 kg - go through a collection and eventually recycling process for a quarter of them.
In Europe, it is, according to a report by the European Union, almost 36 tonnes of mercury and 16 tonnes of cadmium which are thus released each year into the atmosphere, mainly due to the incineration of WEEE.

The following: https://www.econologie.com/pollution-nou ... -3454.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/09, 11:21

A "new" site makes it possible to compare the eco-responsability of different manufacturers of high tech and IT equipment: http://www.epeat.net/

EPEAT measures the ecological impact of computers on the Internet. The tool on the Internet EPEAT classifies more than 1000 electronic products, including computers, according to 51 criteria
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 12/08/09, 14:20

We come slowly

But how can you check that these products have been produced under the announced "green" conditions?
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/09, 14:34

Well audits I imagine ... iso 14001 style right?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/01/10, 18:04

Here is a good article on high tech and green: http://www.lesnumeriques.com/article-964.html

Eco-high-tech: the great illusion
The poor health of the planet is changing the behavior of high-tech industrialists, it seems. Have builders become seasoned greeners or do they just need to save money to save their lives?

An image that says a lot (it changes other pipo polls saying that ecology is said to be 1st choice ...):

The first purchasing criteria for digital readers (01/2010)
0 x
Polyphemus
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Pollution of an era map that heats up

by Polyphemus » 22/02/15, 23:23

Hello everybody
I am new to this forum, I hope not to be mistaken of place to expose my subject.
This is what it is all about:
Recently I used the oven of my stove to heat for 8 min at 190 ° C the motherboard of an Apple computer in order to repair it. The computer is working fine now but my wife wants to throw away the stove.
May I obtain from you an expert opinion on the pollution that such an operation could have created in my oven and know whether or not it should be disposed of now. I specify that the paper labels which had remained on certain components of the motherboard do not present any trace of scorched, that I did not note smoke and no more particular odor than that of hot. There has been no merger, the motherboard has kept its integrity and the computer has restarted for a few years, which delays the moment when it will supply the landfills. I am now trying to save my stove unless you think it will poison my children.
Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Alain
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 23/02/15, 12:44

Polyphemus, I see that you have created a new subject, that's good.

Philosopher ON mode

What if the real technological pollution was the jobs it (the technology) is losing? : Cry:

PhilosophOFF mode
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Polyphemus
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Polyphemus » 23/02/15, 13:27

Extensive debate!
More pragmatically, by cooking my motherboard, I also thought that I was saving a computer from the landfill. But if it's to throw away a stove.
It may be less polluting a stove.
Looks like I still gained something ...
Alain
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/02/15, 13:56

Uh yes lol but your cook is not yet "in the dumpster" ...

And I agree with the opinion of others: if there has been pollution, I think it has been fairly reduced and above all temporary, see: https://www.econologie.com/forums/carte-mere ... 13763.html
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 23/02/15, 15:38

There is not only the bucket: there is e-bay, Emmaüs, Kapaza, 2emain, etc ....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be