Basic installation on car battery

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
trix

by trix » 27/05/07, 12:41

Hello,

I often spend my weekends in an isolated sheepfold not connected to the EDF network. I have a car battery that I can charge when I get home.
I would like to use it to connect accessories (Archos, radio, lighting with compact fluorescent bulb 9W) using a cigarette lighter socket and a converter.
But I don't know anything about electricity.

What type of cable to use?
Do you need a fuse between the battery and the cigarette lighter, if so which model and which power?
What converter power should you choose assuming the Archos, radio and lighting are working at the same time?

Thank you in advance
0 x
Flytox

Re: Basic installation on car battery

by Flytox » 27/05/07, 13:56

Hello trix

trix wrote:I would like to use it to connect accessories (Archos, radio, lighting with compact fluorescent bulb 9W) using a cigarette lighter socket and a converter.

You can try to do without the 12 v / 220 v converter.
You will have less consumption and more autonomy.
The compact fluorescent lamps that exist direct in 12 Volt (At Conrad for example) for the radio you can use a car radio that can be bought for a bite of bread for scrap.

For the converter, beware, some models are 220V but with a square signal and not sinusoidal like the real one. For radio, chances are it won't work. It is marked in a small corner on the packaging (as in insurance contracts).

Econologiquement yours.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
trix

by trix » 27/05/07, 15:13

Thank you for the advice regarding the converter, my installation will only be more basic. Also ok for the 12V compact fluorescent lamp
and the car radio (I just have an old one that is no longer used for anything).

But how to connect the battery to a cigarette lighter on which I can connect my Archos AV5100 to a few hundred euros without seeing it burn?
Is it enough to connect the battery terminals to the cigarette lighter terminals with a common electrical cord? Don't you need a special cable and a fuse system?
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 27/05/07, 17:45

RE hello trix
trix wrote:But how to connect the battery to a cigarette lighter on which I can connect my Archos AV5100 to a few hundred euros without seeing it burn?
Is it enough to connect the battery terminals to the cigarette lighter terminals with a common electrical cord? Don't you need a special cable and a fuse system?

The question that kills ... what is an "Archos AV5100" ???
Chao
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
trix

by trix » 27/05/07, 18:01

the answer that kills : Cheesy: : a portable digital video player and video recorder 100GB hard drive (http://www.archos.com/store/fsearch.html?country=fr&lang=fr&fam_id=VID0010)

I have within 15 hours of listening to mp3, but 3 times less in video playback and it is necessary to recharge the battery sooner or later ...
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 28/05/07, 14:03

Hello,

The cable is standard, but provides a fuse! If you have a short circuit with a battery, it can hurt!

That said, the best way to generate power is to take a solar panel. For sound and lighting, you don't need a lot of power ...

If you think that you will empty your accessories in less than one night, then keep your car battery, but recharge it during the day: No need to wait to go home to recharge it!

A +!

trix wrote:Hello,

I often spend my weekends in an isolated sheepfold not connected to the EDF network. I have a car battery that I can charge when I get home.
I would like to use it to connect accessories (Archos, radio, lighting with compact fluorescent bulb 9W) using a cigarette lighter socket and a converter.
But I don't know anything about electricity.

What type of cable to use?
Do you need a fuse between the battery and the cigarette lighter, if so which model and which power?
What converter power should you choose assuming the Archos, radio and lighting are working at the same time?

Thank you in advance
0 x