Lighting of streets and public roads

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
hug
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Lighting of streets and public roads

by hug » 08/01/07, 16:33

I had read an interesting message about better performing street lights because they lit the ground instead of dispersing the light.
I searched with "lighting" "street lamp" "lamppost" "light" but I did not find it.
Can someone help me?
0 x
The only renewable energy is energy saving.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 08/01/07, 16:58

Hi Hug,
I found that : Inauguration of innovative and economical urban lighting in Albi.

It is related to the European project "NumeLite"
It helps ?

Paris, December 2, 2004

Inauguration of innovative and economical urban lighting in Albi

On December 2, in Albi, new urban lighting was inaugurated, which saves almost 50% of the energy consumed to produce the same light intensity of lighting better suited to the human eye. It is the culmination of the European NumeLite project, started 3 years ago under the coordination of Georges Zissis (CNRS), which involved 11 partners from 6 European countries.

On this occasion, Georges Zissis, project coordinator, presented the project and the principles of this new lighting, in the presence of representatives of the City of Albi and the various European partners.

For more than 30 years, the efficiency of urban lighting has stagnated. However, its improvement in terms of energy saving and efficiency is essential, given the amount of lighting needed for the entire planet every day.

The objective of the European NumeLiTe project (within the framework of the “Energy” program of the European Union) was to design and build an innovative, economical urban lighting system, and to demonstrate its potential on site.

It was in particular to improve the light efficiency of the sources - that is to say to increase the flux of light produced (we measure it in lumens) per electric watt consumed - and to improve the rendering of colors - that is, to have a light that reproduces the colors of the world around us well. A 2% increase in the luminous efficiency of sources for urban lighting can allow a reduction of 6 to 7 million tonnes of CO2 emissions into the atmosphere, which corresponds to 1% of the reduction provided for by the agreements of Kyoto on the environment.

Coordinator of the NumeLiTe project was Georges Zissis, director of the “Sources Intenses de Photons” team at the Center for Plasma Physics and their Applications in Toulouse (CPAT, CNRS-Université Paul Sabatier). His laboratory has long been interested in light sources for lighting and for industrial applications.

The new system is based on new generation metal halide lamps with a ceramic shell which produce very good quality white light with excellent efficiency. These lamps are placed in specially designed luminaires to better distribute the light on the road and avoid problems of light pollution. The lamps are powered by new electronic ballasts which can be controlled remotely (wired link by the city's electrical network or aerial in radio frequencies) by a central station installed for this purpose at the town hall of Albi. This allows you to control the amount of light at all times and to program the operation of the system. Finally, the system takes into account the peculiarities of the human eye, sensitive at night to wavelengths shifted to blue, in order to increase energy savings.

The city of Albi, as a full partner of the consortium, was chosen for the installation of the demonstrator. As such, Albi is, for the moment, the only city in Europe that has this innovative system. Four axes (road and semi-pedestrian) of access to the city center, and a decentralized axis were equipped with the new luminaires, whose installation started in March 2004. To date, 90 lampposts have been installed on the 120 that counts the finalized project. The first results obtained on the Albi site have demonstrated that for equal energy consumption, the new system produces almost twice as much light as the previous system. We can therefore say that this system will allow significant energy savings and will thus contribute to sustainable development and land use planning.

The NumeLiTe project, developed over 3 years (from 1/1/02 to 31/12/04), mobilized a multidisciplinary consortium of 11 partners [1], public and private, from 6 European countries. The total cost of the project is 6,6 million Euros. It was subsidized by the European community to the tune of 2,8 million Euros. The Swiss and English members of the consortium were subsidized by their governments for an amount of 0,5 MEuros each.

The number of electric lamps in service on the planet is estimated at around 30 billion, and the new lamps produced each year at 10 billion. Global lighting consumption exceeds 2 TWh [000] of electrical energy per year, approximately more than one-tenth of global electricity production. In an industrialized country, on average 2 to 10% of annual electricity production is used for lighting (15% in France, more than 12% in the United States). In a developing country, where lighting is a priority need, this proportion is much higher (19% for Tunisia, 37% for Tanzania).

In 1999, France consumed 41 TWh for lighting. About 60% of this energy is used by the tertiary sector. Public and road lighting consumes 10% of the total while the remaining 30% is absorbed by domestic lighting. It should be noted, however, that this latter sector has seen its consumption triple in twenty years (5 TWh in 1979, 14 TWh in 1999). From an economic and industrial point of view, the corresponding market is therefore enormous. In addition, lighting is responsible for certain environmental nuisances through nighttime visual pollution and the release of greenhouse gases during the production of the corresponding electrical energy. These problems are likely to worsen since, according to OECD forecasts, lighting needs worldwide will increase threefold in the next ten years ...

We can therefore clearly see the advantage of a more economical urban lighting system. The high investment at the start should be amortized in less than 10 years, knowing that the lifespan of public lighting is 30 to 40 years.

Notes:
[1] France: CPAT (CNRS-Université Paul Sabatier, UMR 5002 du CNRS)
Montpellier Electrical Engineering Laboratory (University of Montpellier 2)
Sinapse SA (Paris region) (PME)
Thorn France (Les Andelys) (Industrial partner for lighting)
City of Albi (Technical Services) (End User)
United Kingdom: General Electric Lighiting (Leicester) (Industrial partner)
TRL Ltd (formerly Transport Research Laboratory)
Portugal: Department of Physics (University of Madeira)
Germany: Luxmate SW (Munich) (Industrial partner)
Switzerland: Knobel (Enenda) (Industrial Partner)
Greece: High Temperature Chemistry Laboratory (FORTH ICE / HT, Patras)

[2] 1TWh = 1 terawatt hour = 1 billion kilowatt hours = 109 kWh. A kilowatt hour is the energy expended for one hour by a machine with a power of one kilowatt, or one thousand watts. To give an idea, an electric radiator has a power of the order of a kilowatt, a section of nuclear power plant produces of the order of 1 gigawatt (1 million kilowatts) of electricity.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 08/01/07, 18:28

Hello

in an energy-saving approach, public lighting has no reason to exist; it just serves to reassure the paranos and to support big bizness. around 10/100 of the world's electricity production is swallowed up there.

My recommendation is therefore the slingshot. 100/100 savings and no need for a shutter to sleep : Lol:

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 08/01/07, 21:55

I have a lamppost right outside my window, on the other side of my little lane ... a big one, with a sodium lamp which must do its 500W (as much as my whole apartment! : Cry: ) and it is well protected ... a plexiglass bubble resisting all my attempts with the chain thrower. even the ball bearings of cars does not work.
then, inevitably, shutters ... and again, it is not really enough.
what's between the slingshot and the 22 long rifle? I don't want to buy a gun.
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
zac

by zac » 08/01/07, 21:57

The bow

@+
0 x

jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 09/01/07, 01:05

zac wrote:Hello

in an energy-saving approach, public lighting has no reason to exist; it just serves to reassure the paranos and to support big bizness. around 10/100 of the world's electricity production is swallowed up there.

My recommendation is therefore the slingshot. 100/100 savings and no need for a shutter to sleep : Lol:

@+

I more than agree with you, I scream alone against the mountains when I see 2 small streets that surround my land with "very wide" street lights just to illuminate the vegetation at night and prevent it from resting! there is no one walking at night in these streets, it's nonsense .... but it was requested by all the old retirees in the area (super quiet) just to show that they exist and that their property tax is justified. I want to knock them out with a slingshot.

I recently read what these stupid night lights represent: x billion KWH per year (we have to justify our nuclear power plants). What a crazy world.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 09/01/07, 14:49

jean63 wrote:[...] I recently read what represents these stupid nocturnal lights: x billion KWH per year (we have to justify our nuclear power plants). What a crazy world.

CNRS (Article cited by Targol) wrote:The number of electric lamps in service on the planet is estimated at around 30 billion, and the new lamps produced each year at 10 billion. Global lighting consumption exceeds 2 TWh [000] of electrical energy per year, or approximately more than a tenth of the global electricity production. In an industrialized country, an average of 10 to 15% of annual electricity production is used for lighting (12% in France, more than 19% in the United States). In a developing country, where lighting is a priority need, this proportion is much higher (37% for Tunisia, 89% for Tanzania).

France consumed, in 1999, 41 TWh for lighting. About 60% of this energy is used by the tertiary sector. Public and road lighting consumes 10% of the total while the remaining 30% is absorbed by domestic lighting. It should however be noted that this latter sector has seen its consumption triple in twenty years (5 TWh in 1979, 14 TWh in 1999).

[2] 1TWh = 1 terawatt hour = 1 billion kilowatt hours = 10.9 kWh. A kilowatt hour is the energy expended for one hour by a machine with a power of one kilowatt, or one thousand watts. To give an idea, an electric radiator has a power of the order of a kilowatt, a section of nuclear power plant produces of the order of 1 gigawatt (1 million kilowatts) of electricity.

Pollux wrote:I have a lamppost right in front of my window, on the other side of my small alley ... a big one, with a sodium lamp which must do its 500W [...]
Apparently, much less than that! Be careful of the light produced by discharge lamps, it is different from filaments ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
zac

by zac » 09/01/07, 15:23

jean63 wrote: I want to knock them out with a slingshot.

Hello

follow your desires (usually the third, 4th time it no longer changes the bulbs).

It will remind you of your youth!

It will occupy municipal employees

It will relax you (very good for the back)

And it will converse for retirees (that way they won't have time to say bad things about their neighbor) :P

@+
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 09/01/07, 15:41

Never come to Belgium at night then ... you would risk an attack by noticing that all highways (and even some departmental) are lit .... It looks very nice from afar (especially in the Ardennes where there is a bit of relief): it's Christmas all year round : Cheesy:

What seems to have been done for offset the surplus of Belgian nuclear electricity production (under the advice of Framatom, of course, who built the Belgian power plants, etc.)... while the kwhe is 20 cts of € HT in some provinces (ours for example) ... really paradoxical ...

ps: sodium lamps have a very good performance of the order of that of compact fluorescent / neon.

With a light efficiency of 55 lm / W, these sources were the most economical at the time.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampe_%C3% ... _de_sodium
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 10/01/07, 00:00

Bucheron wrote (CNRS):
In 1999, France consumed 41 TWh for lighting. About 60% of this energy is used by the tertiary sector. Public and road lighting consumes 10% of the total while the remaining 30% is absorbed by domestic lighting. It should be noted, however, that this latter sector has seen its consumption triple in twenty years (5 TWh in 1979, 14 TWh in 1999).

I found x = 5 billion Kwh for public lighting (extract from Jancovici's book, it must stick with CNRS figures ...)

It's absolutely frightening: with a small puncture of this waste, there would be plenty to heat the homeless in the empty premises of large companies. It would be enough to light one bulb out of 2 in the streets and turn off the lights at 1 am.

I saw in an 20pm newspaper (not on TF1 !!!) that a "highway" near a large city in the North of France was no longer lit for lack of finances (the region refused to pay or something like that).

zac wrote:
follow your desires (usually the third, 4th time it no longer changes the bulbs).

It will remind you of your youth!

It will occupy municipal employees

It will relax you (very good for the back)

thank you for your good advice !! for the slingshot it was made at home with a branch of green forked wood + strips of inner tube + piece of leather and we (rather they) broke the insulators on the electric poles (it was not me who had had the idea): only once! the gendarmes were at school the next morning.

But here I am no longer 10 years old, if we learned who did this, it is sarko-karcher such an act! and yet they prevent me from looking at the sky and the shooting stars in August.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).