Clean up his pc: software that go!

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Clean up his pc: software that go!

by Christophe » 21/08/06, 11:41

I create this topic to present some cool and effective software to optimize and "clean up" your pc of "unwanted":

1) Spamihilator

Do you have pop account emails and are you tired of spam?

This free app is made for you, to download here:
http://www.spamihilator.com/download/index.php

The configuration is a bit long but believe me, when like me we receive between 50 and 100 spam emails per day it is really very useful!

Be careful, it is almost useless for gmail, hotmail, yahoo and all the "big" email providers who, fortunately, have their own antispams which work quite well.

2) SpyBot: Seek & Destroy

Without doubt the best Anti SpyBot software (advertising and others ...). Also completely free.

download:
http://www.spybot.info/fr/download/index.html

To be launched roughly once a week. You will see the residual "pollution" of your surf is mind-blowing. Also remember to update the database frequently ...

ps: think of the developer, there is the possibility of making a donation to the creator ... when you know the time spent there and the usefulness of this software a little so it's not a luxury ...

That's all for the moment. If you know others ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 21/08/06, 14:04

I would add software on this subject to prevent this pollution from appearing. Prevention is always preferable to correction.

• A browser less "virus-like" than MS internet explorer.
    I personally use Mozilla Firefox which is free (and faster than IE)
  • A mail client less "virus-like" than MS outlook. I personally use Mozilla Thunderbird which is free (and in addition contains a very effective spam filter)
  • And finally, essential: a FIREWALL which controls the inputs / outputs of the PC. This type of tool is integrated in the "xxx boxes" that some ISPs offer but, if you are connected by a simple ADSL modem, it is essential.
    I advise Zone Alarm if you don't know much about it (simpler interface) and Personal Sygate Firwall if you prefer a more complete but also more complex tool. Both are free.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 21/08/06, 18:10

Hello,

For my part I clean the PCs with the following softwares:

Temp files and the registry:
Easycleaner => Free ToniArts => http://www.toniarts.com/

Spy's and other junk:
Spyware Doctor
spy sweeper

These softs can be "manipulated" by vulgus pecum without any problems.
Other than that:
Browser => Opera, very complete and with mail.
Anti-Virus => Nod32, the best of those tested in my PRO !!

Firewall => NEVER used !!
I have equipped over a hundred computers with them !!

Obelix
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 22/08/06, 04:03

Tired of viruses, trojans, spyware, malware and bogus of all kinds. I have the solution :

LINUX

No more defragmentation, no anti-virus or anti-spy scan ... and the firewall is integrated into the kernel. In fact it works so well that we come to be bored and regret the hours of repairs and hacks on the Redmond system (cruel). : Mrgreen:

We even pay the luxury of having a 3D patient interface better than the future m $ vista, less power-hungry, free and ... already usable : Mrgreen:

It was the provocative little post of the sly Linuxian when reading this subject : Cheesy:
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 22/08/06, 09:42

Rulian wrote:Tired of viruses, trojans, spyware, malware and bogus of all kinds. I have the solution :

LINUX

No more defragmentation, no anti-virus or anti-spy scan ... and the firewall is integrated into the kernel. In fact it works so well that we come to be bored and regret the hours of repairs and hacks on the Redmond system (cruel). : Mrgreen:

We even pay the luxury of having a 3D patient interface better than the future m $ vista, less power-hungry, free and ... already usable : Mrgreen:

It was the provocative little post of the sly Linuxian when reading this subject : Cheesy:

Completely agree, all that's missing is the porting of softs (and especially games : Mrgreen: ) on this OS and I put myself in stride.

Here, moreover, you would have a distribution to advise according to the levels of knowledge:
  • for those who know nothing at all,
  • For those who know IT well but not Linux
  • for those who know unix or linux well
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 26/08/06, 21:02

Targol wrote:
Rulian wrote:I have the solution :

LINUX

Completely agree, all that's missing is the porting of softs (and especially games : Mrgreen: ) on this OS and I put myself in stride.

Here, moreover, you would have a distribution to advise according to the levels of knowledge:

I have my new PC for 3 months.
I had the choice between Microdobe for pirated winsoft or legal, free and non-crashing linux.
The problem is that I don't know how to configure it ...
But I'm really happy with it, considering the price and the features.
I have a Mandriva ...

I take all the advice lying around ... on Linux.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/08/06, 22:48

Rulian wrote:Tired of viruses, trojans, spyware, malware and bogus of all kinds. I have the solution :

LINUX

The theory is beautiful ... you just had a concrete practical example with the site server which proves the opposite ... :frown:

ps: with windows it would have probably spit well before ... we understand each other huh : Cheesy:
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 27/08/06, 00:05

I'm afraid that no SE is safe from crashes, the only things that change are: the frequency and the severity.

My linux (mandrake 10, I think) is still planted, it must be said that he shared the PC with 2 Ouine doze Me, which are not running that bad.

Why 2, because I decided to make my own serious crash recovery system.
:D
Mandriva I still hesitate, I would end up taking it.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 27/08/06, 10:42

Hello,

In the same vein, there is even better!

LINUX for dummies !!

You take a KNOPPIX or a KAELLA ...
You don't even need a hard drive, just a CD-ROM drive and it installs itself.
And vogue the galley ... in any case nice to check if the PC still works.

Obelix
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 27/08/06, 22:47

Targol wrote:Completely agree, all that's missing is the porting of softs (and especially games : Mrgreen: ) on this OS and I put myself in stride.

But the porting of softs is more than enough !! Firefox, thunderbird and Open Office (for example but there are others) for the usual office automation. Endless sound and video players, msn, jabber, irc and other clients ... burning software .... And if we really like to flog ourselves, we can even run Windows apps under Linux , thanks to special progs made for it : Cheesy:

For games, this is still the big problem. There are lots of free games of all types on Linux, some are even excellent and some publishers publish tips to make their games (owners) usable on Linux (ID Software in particular). But it's still a bit complicated. The best way is to keep a window in a corner to play your latest game that kills everything.

Targol wrote:Here, moreover, you would have a distribution to advise according to the levels of knowledge:

Those who know nothing about info:
You need a so-called "user-friendly" distro. In particular Ubuntu, but also Kaëlla / Knoppix, Mandriva ... Anyway, starting the info on Linux is as easy, if not more, than starting with win. Only Mac is still ahead in terms of simplicity and interface.

Those who know IT well but not Linux:
Without hesitation Ubuntu. It is very "user-friendly", it is based on Debian which is pure concrete at the level of stability / reliability and above all there is a huge and very active community. It is essential: a problem and hop a question on the forum and we are repaired within 24 hours in general. Me, I discovered Linux with Ubuntu and I tested nothing else in fact ... but as it is perfect, no reason to move;) The hardest part is to get rid of its automatisms and its thinking "windows". But with a little effort and reading the docs, it's easy.

Those who know unix or linux well:
These people don't need advice from a noob like me : Lol:

Anyway it costs nothing to try to see. Most distros are available in Live CD. You boot on the cd and hop linux running. And it doesn't affect hard drives at all, so no harm to your data.

Reading to discover Linux.
The Ubuntu Live-CDto get started in linux ... don't forget to read and reread the wiki docs.
A Live-CD that pleases the eyes. 3D patient interface and not too old PC required. The ISO is no longer available for download on the project site. But by searching on the mule, it must be possible. Anyway, nothing prevents you from switching to the 3D XGL interface when you are on Ubuntu or other Linux : Mrgreen:

Come on, the first one who migrates to linux thanks to my post, I pay him an evening to water it 8)
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"